Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2019, 12:03 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
I have a premium for poolactiontv.com.
I always buy the make it happen sets(I think those are great and great commentary).

I gamble everywhere I go.
I prefer to play until someone kicks me out of the building. I am young enough where I can play 24 hour sessions if need be, but I always play at least 8-10 hours.
I don't give action to any of the guys that aren't willing to go the distance.

I really don't like watching any of the live matches with slow players like Orcullo or similar. I would prefer to watch an edited version or highlights for those matches.

I agree that paid streams should be more than one table.
I bought a Mevo and have been recording some of my gambling sessions just to see some of my mental errors. I haven't done any streaming yet, but I have some of the tools.
Mevo is a good camera. I have one but it doesnít work with an Apple pro, only I pad and IPhone. Use Utube to stream. FB is a nightmare. Streaming for others means getting there before the tournament starts and leaving after it is over. 14-16 hour days with no time to gamble.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Verified Member

Default Two sides of the same coin

I prefer to watch the money matches, but will pay for all streams and watch tourneys as well. I will watch anyone playing at Buffs even if itís for 100 a game. Except for Dennis. Thanks for all you do for pool, Joe.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Verified Member

Thanks for the post Joe!

For me it's 100% about time. Working full time and helping at home takes pretty much all my time so when I can get out once every 2 or 3 months to play a game, it's a gift! I have to go to bed early so I can't stay up too late to watch streams most of the time but I will say this, and I have mentioned it before and John hit the nail on the head...

If a recording was offered after the match was over, so that you could watch it on your own time, bits and pieces here and there with no expiration, there's no doubt I would be on board for 99% of them! I think I have only paid for a couple of streams ever as of now and that's the main reason why. I know part of the problem with this is storage, those matches, especially ones that are hours long, take up quite a bit of space, so how do you offer it to the consumer? You could buy large thumb drives and ship them out with the match on it like Lenny did that one time. Not sure how economical that would even be with the costs of the drives. You could also do it like Daniel does it (and maybe some others do too), where you pay for a premier membership and then you can watch all of the videos they have in their library. Since the videos are already hosted/stored on YouTube, you don't have to worry about space, just authentication of who is allowed to view them.

I also, would much rather play than watch so anytime I can get in action, I am going to do that over watching a match (live or stream), but when I can't get out, watching a good match is a great alternative!

The 2 or 3 cameras would be nice I suppose but for me, it 100% has to have the main one behind the table with the pockets at the bottom, in perfect center alignment. That gives the best one viewing angle of anywhere in a one pocket match. Also, making sure the ball and game count is always accurate is a big plus.

That's my 2 cents...
Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Verified Member

It seems like the local play will always be a fixture of our sport. Everyone has friends and customers that they like to play, and nobody thinks that will ever go away. Like golf, fans also like to play.

Taking the amateur play as a given, then; what else can we as an organization do to most effectively grow the game? I remember how Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson grew the game of basketball in the 1980s. We all remember Tiger Woods and his effect on golf in the late 1990s and 2000s. For those who watch the UFC, we saw how Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Ronda Rousey, Jones Jones, Conor McGregor and others turned a sport that was worth a couple of million dollars in 2001 into one that sold for over $4 Billion only two years ago. We saw how poker broke through with everymen like Chris Moneymaker or villains like Phil Hellmuth.

Heroes grow sports. We all remember the first time we saw Ronnie Allen play, or Jose Parica, or Buddy Hall, or Shannon Daulton, or Cliff Joyner, or Scott Frost, or the great Efren Reyes. Heroes make fans. Heroes grow sports.

Gentlemen, I believe our organization can best grow the sport by promoting these great players in a professional one pocket tour, streamed to the world, using the pointers and criticisms you all have suggested. In the near future, I will be proposing steps we can take to make this idea into a concrete reality.

We have waited for years for the savior of our sport to come in and grow the game we love so that others can appreciate the subtle genius that is one pocket. The solution was always the man in the mirror. We cannot wait for a corporate giant to ride in and take us to the promised land.

Some will resist such a project. Others will not want to reward what they see as lazy professionals who never did anything to help themselves. I respect your view if you do not want to help. I would only ask that you not hurt the effort needlessly with negativity. The project is daunting enough without all that.

The first thing I ask is for volunteers to aid in the creating of this tour. I do not know exactly what will be needed or when, but I am gauging interest at this time. Please let me know if you are willing to help create this tour. I only ask you to do what you can for our great sport.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Verified Member

Default Go Joe!

Deal me in.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Verified Member

Put me in to help promote it...

B
Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Verified Member

Joe, you and I have had this discussion a time or two in the past, (what's best for one-pocket?) and as usual you have stated your attitude clearly. I will try to do the same, and to do it briefly.

When Buffalo hits the door of his joint every day, I imagine the question uppermost in his mind is not 'Who's in the building?', but rather 'How many of my tables are busy?'
Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros View Post
Joe, you and I have had this discussion a time or two in the past, (what's best for one-pocket?) and as usual you have stated your attitude clearly. I will try to do the same, and to do it briefly.

When Buffalo hits the door of his joint every day, I imagine the question uppermost in his mind is not 'Who's in the building?', but rather 'How many of my tables are busy?'
Rising tides help all boats. Nobody plays one pocket for an hour. It is a game that lends itself to long sessions, which means higher pool time and increased profits. Turning eight ball and nine ball players into one pocketeers helps everyone. The room owner likes the pool time, the players improve their overall games, as everyone who plays one pocket will concede, and those who love the game can see their favorites dueling for championships. But the casual fans like to emulate their heroes. When they see their favorite players playing one pocket, they will play one pocket. It is called the bandwagon effect in marketing.

The bandwagon effect is a term coined to refer to the behavior of a consumer following a trend that is created by the need or want of the mass populous. When the public is swayed by a product or service, this creates a ripple effect, which in turn attracts new and unsuspecting potential consumers to desire the product as well.

See the Tiger Woods effect on golf when he recently won the masters. https://www.wmbfnews.com/2019/04/18/...-woods-effect/

Last edited by BRLongArm; 06-21-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Verified Member

joe
since i dont know your plans my comments now may be without merit
tennis and golf for example
had such a large amateur fan base that galvanizing them with a "hero"
made it easy to generate money... for sponsors and advertisers
my guess with no stastistics to base it on
if every onepocket player in the world contributed 1 dollar to a tour or advertising
it still would pale if we asked the same of golfers or tennis players
icbw
Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
joe
since i dont know your plans my comments now may be without merit
tennis and golf for example
had such a large amateur fan base that galvanizing them with a "hero"
made it easy to generate money... for sponsors and advertisers
my guess with no stastistics to base it on
if every onepocket player in the world contributed 1 dollar to a tour or advertising
it still would pale if we asked the same of golfers or tennis players
icbw
The Billiards Congress of America says there are about 46 million people playing pool in about 9,000 facilities throughout North America. Ninety-five percent of those people play pool. What percentage of those pool players love one pocket? 1 percent? less? Seems like we have a lot of people to convert, but we have a huge pool of pool enthusiasts to draw from. It has already begun. The best two one pocket players are not American. Francisco Bustamante is the two time defending Derby City Champion. SVB is a former US Open and Derby City champion. Their heroes are playing one pocket already. We just have to show it to them.