Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2019, 11:47 PM
Verified Member

Default Out of Jail - Put in Jail!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tgtFtzMwNdpkBhn97
Click on video to get sound.

This is from a Ghost wwyd. Of course balls are all over the table with plenty of shot options, this is the shot that I played. Cue ball is frozen to the 5 ball. When the cb is frozen on more of an angle approaching 40 degrees you may get a kiss in trying to get in behind the 1 ball. Have fun experimenting with it. Enjoy, Whitey
Unlocking the secrets of pool!

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 07-22-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tgtFtzMwNdpkBhn97
Click on video to get sound.

This is from a Ghost wwyd. Of course balls are all over the table with plenty of shot options, this is the shot that I played. Cue ball is frozen to the 5 ball. Enjoy, Whitey
Unlocking the secrets of pool!
That looked like a clean shot, but you had to have shot through the 5 ball even though it was a very soft hit. Is it considered legal because the cue ball and 5 are frozen then?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Verified Member

Whitey, what brand/year table do you have there?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
That looked like a clean shot, but you had to have shot through the 5 ball even though it was a very soft hit. Is it considered legal because the cue ball and 5 are frozen then?
Very fine question!
At one time and in a bygone era, when the cb was frozen to an ob it 'was' known as; 'A Frozen Cue Ball Shot'. This terminology is now lost and this shot now has no name! I've tried to revive it. Dr. Dave, surprisingly asked me to go through his glossary of terms, and now has adopted this upon my suggestion. But other than that you will not find it.

But the one and only 'foul criteria' for a Frozen Cue Ball Shot is that the stroke must go through the cb without a pause. Meaning; you can not gently lay the cue tip against the cb , pause the stroke, and then once again continue to stroke through. This illegal stroke is sometimes used to get more throw upon a Frozen Cue Ball Shot to throw the object ball into the hole. This is or was known as a 'Push Stroke', which is yet another terminology that is lost to time.

A 'Push Stroke', is when the cue tip stays in contact with the cue ball as the stroke goes forward. Or another way of putting it; when the cue ball is riding the tip as the stroke goes forward. I'll do a video of this little known 'illegal phenomena'. The cue ball can ride the tip for several inches and then still be in contact when the ob is contacted by the cue ball. It is quite amazing.

Now when the cb is frozen to an ob that in turn is frozen to the rail. Such as we see in the Paul Newman Hustler Shot, it has additional foul criteria which I have addressed in that thread.
--------------
*** But to answer the question; as you can see, my stroke upon this get out of jail shot does not pause, and I am not laying the cue tip against the cue ball and then stroking through. Therefore it is not a foul, but a legal shot.***
--------------
If the balls were 'not frozen' this shot would be incredibly illegal, and in my way of thinking it would invoke the rule of using an 'illegal technique to reposition the cue ball'.

The above writings are a sampling of higher standard writings of common everyday billiard scenarios, but yet still are not depicted in any rule making governing bodies general rules. Amazing, it is by the way 2000 & 19, not 1901.

All this is very important in the game of OP, for the instances of a Frozen Cue Ball Shot and/or Close Proximity Shots comes up so much in this game of OP. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 07-22-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Whitey, what brand/year table do you have there?
It is a 5 x 10 Brunswick Sultana w/ A. E. Schmitt rails. The rubber on the rails is from a rubber co. in NY. and no longer available. All those rubber companies are now gone. The rails were extremely fast and w/ deep pockets of which were tighter than normal for the era, it was very challenging. It is actually a converted snooker table, the difference is that the pocket shelf edge is slightly more rounded than a pool table would be.

In Long Beach, ca. there was an Antique Billiard supply, and he had a mint factory brochure on this model. It stated it was made from 1887 thru to 1920. But when you research it, it comes up as first being made in 1912. There are no serial #'s on a Brunswick so you have to go from date to date.

I believe the notion of 1912 is incorrect for much of the history of Brunswick was lost during a fire. Thank goodness for that brochure.

The sides of the table are bellowed like a ship, which I believe causes this phenomena of being able to here the balls as they roll. The rails still play plenty well, but nothing like it use to. I could do a 7 rail bank shot easily in those days, now it falls 3 feet short but still on line. A double cross side or corner bank was ever bit as easy as a single rail bank, for the rails would not reverse coming off the 2nd rail. Multiple rail banks ran so true and held the angle. Lots of fun! Thanks for asking Doc.

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 07-22-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Verified Member

You are the best, Whitey. Keep on posting your vids.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 AM
Verified Member

Lovely shot.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Verified Member

Interesting shot Whitey. And what timing!
My next short You Tube video is devoted to this form of frozen ball shot.
It is ready now but I intended not to publish it for a few days.
Maybe I should reconsider and post it earlier.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 07-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Interesting shot Whitey. And what timing!
My next short You Tube video is devoted to this form of frozen ball shot.
It is ready now but I intended not to publish it for a few days.
Maybe I should reconsider and post it earlier.

Tom
You're a Trick Teaser.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:29 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
You're a Trick Teaser.
John, I'd like to give Whitey an opportunity to post a video on how he measured his fine shot. That is if he is inclined to do so. Either way, I'll be posting my video by the end of the week. Keep in mind, I just posted a video a few weeks ago and I don't want to spoil you guys too much.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com