Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Andy52086 Andy52086 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 23
Default Losing action

So I've kinda been on a little bit of a winning streak lately. Making some lucky shots and beating a few people that I've played with for years. (I am definitely on the losing end). I've tried adjusting and it's just not good enough for them. They act like I don't exist anymore. I have pretty much run out of action at my local pool hall, but I am also a loyal person. I don't want to drive 30 mins further to hopefully get a game somewhere else. Should I start losing a little to these guys if I can get em on a table again? Or just beat my way out of that room and move on to the next? These were people I considered friends but doubting that very seriously now. Nobody likes to lose but no matter how many times I did over the years I always came back for more. Just looking for some advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:52 PM
ChicagoFats ChicagoFats is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy52086 View Post
So I've kinda been on a little bit of a winning streak lately. Making some lucky shots and beating a few people that I've played with for years. (I am definitely on the losing end). I've tried adjusting and it's just not good enough for them. They act like I don't exist anymore. I have pretty much run out of action at my local pool hall, but I am also a loyal person. I don't want to drive 30 mins further to hopefully get a game somewhere else. Should I start losing a little to these guys if I can get em on a table again? Or just beat my way out of that room and move on to the next? These were people I considered friends but doubting that very seriously now. Nobody likes to lose but no matter how many times I did over the years I always came back for more. Just looking for some advice.
Sounds like you were the sucker and werent self aware. Now you are not the sucker and you are seeing the back side.
You need to find the new sucker or give up so much weight u become the sucker again. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:52 PM
cincy_kid's Avatar
cincy_kid cincy_kid is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,096
Default

Welcome to the site Andy!

First, what do you want to do ultimately? Do you just want to play some one hole and have some action while you are doing it or are you looking to score something bigger?

if it's the prior, I would just adjust further with your buddies until it's a close match, especially if you are playing on the cheaper side. Change it up some and play some partners or Captain.

If it's the latter, well you may have to go elsewhere if all the local players wont play you any more.

What area are you from? Plenty of one hole players here on the site that may match up depending on your area (and skill level, lol).

Either way, good luck and stick around, there's lots to learn here at any skill level!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Andy52086 Andy52086 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Welcome to the site Andy!

First, what do you want to do ultimately? Do you just want to play some one hole and have some action while you are doing it or are you looking to score something bigger?

if it's the prior, I would just adjust further with your buddies until it's a close match, especially if you are playing on the cheaper side. Change it up some and play some partners or Captain.

If it's the latter, well you may have to go elsewhere if all the local players wont play you any more.

What area are you from? Plenty of one hole players here on the site that may match up depending on your area (and skill level, lol).

Either way, good luck and stick around, there's lots to learn here at any skill level!
It was gambling amongst buddies who play all the time. We've learned each other's games over the years and try to always make it fair on both sides. We play up to $200 a game. So it's not cheap, at least for me. It's just funny that there isn't any room for talking anymore. I win 2 or 3 times in a row and they just write you off. I even brought up an adjustment myself and they said no. PRIDE! lol. I hate to lose friendships over a game but we always play for decent amounts and I've never been the one with the deeper pockets. Funny how the ones with money can't stand to lose.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:08 PM
Andy52086 Andy52086 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
Sounds like you were the sucker and werent self aware. Now you are not the sucker and you are seeing the back side.
You need to find the new sucker or give up so much weight u become the sucker again. Congrats!
I definitely was the sucker for years. Mainly because I liked to have cocktails when I gamble. Some nights I play great, others I'm the donkey. Now that I can hold my own the gamblers aren't much gamblers anymore. If they don't have the nuts it's no good. So now I'm giving up bigger spots to less experienced to play when all I want is a close and fair game with people that make me push myself because they're every bit as good as I am if not better. Just a run of bad luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Billy Jackets Billy Jackets is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy52086 View Post
So I've kinda been on a little bit of a winning streak lately. Making some lucky shots and beating a few people that I've played with for years. (I am definitely on the losing end). I've tried adjusting and it's just not good enough for them. They act like I don't exist anymore. I have pretty much run out of action at my local pool hall, but I am also a loyal person. I don't want to drive 30 mins further to hopefully get a game somewhere else. Should I start losing a little to these guys if I can get em on a table again? Or just beat my way out of that room and move on to the next? These were people I considered friends but doubting that very seriously now. Nobody likes to lose but no matter how many times I did over the years I always came back for more. Just looking for some advice.
They were only your buddies till you were not buying dinner , tell them all to go f themselves and find new friends.
This happens to everyone , so don't take it personal.
I would not give them a spot under any circumstances, tell them to play harder.
As soon as you give up even a little spot , these creeps will feel like they have the best of it again, and play 10% better than they ever did before, and you will have a hard time dealing with it.
Unless, you enjoy the playing so much , you don't mind paying them to play you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Mkbtank's Avatar
Mkbtank Mkbtank is online now
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Philly Pa
Posts: 5,080
Default Losing action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jackets View Post
They were only your buddies till you were not buying dinner , tell them all to go f themselves and find new friends.

This happens to everyone , so don't take it personal.

I would not give them a spot under any circumstances, tell them to play harder.

As soon as you give up even a little spot , these creeps will feel like they have the best of it again, and play 10% better than they ever did before, and you will have a hard time dealing with it.

Unless, you enjoy the playing so much , you don't mind paying them to play you.


Andy I agree with Billy here. I have found him to be one if the most logical guys on the site, frankly.

There’s a saying in our pool room which goes.. “Everyone is looking for a day at the beach. No one wants a day in the coal mines.” Sounds like your surrounded by beachgoers. They had no issue when you were losing. I wouldn’t spot them. Just be patient and if they grow a heart, great. If not, go to the other room.

Also welcome to the site! What area do you live? I’m sure you will find some games on here and even just the knowledge and camaraderie is worth the price of admission

Best,

Mitch Brown
__________________
Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Bmoretallpaul Bmoretallpaul is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 84
Default

I believe we all been thru this scenario. When I first started to play one pocket. I played guys who were way better than me. But I paid to learn. This went on for a year or so. Finally I won a set. Well that was the end of that game. I won once out of probably a hundred and they had to change the game. Well I learnt the game and a lesson. No friends in the pool hall. Dog eat dog world. If I were you I would find another room to play. You may find your game improve even more and then go back and bust em. I did.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Andy52086 Andy52086 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Andy I agree with Billy here. I have found him to be one if the most logical guys on the site, frankly.

There’s a saying in our pool room which goes.. “Everyone is looking for a day at the beach. No one wants a day in the coal mines.” Sounds like your surrounded by beachgoers. They had no issue when you were losing. I wouldn’t spot them. Just be patient and if they grow a heart, great. If not, go to the other room.

Also welcome to the site! What area do you live? I’m sure you will find some games on here and even just the knowledge and camaraderie is worth the price of admission

Best,

Mitch Brown
They don't want to play anymore even with a spot. I offered to adjust. They just feel they can't beat me anymore period. It's a weird situation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:57 PM
jrhendy's Avatar
jrhendy jrhendy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 4,444
Default

If you have been playing for years, they will want to play as much as you, so quit trying to match up for awhile and they will probably come around.

The action junkie is hard to control and they will come around and DON’T change the game. Gambling at pool comes in cycles and you were in a good one. It will change as it always does.
__________________
JOHN HENDERSON
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.