Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Verified Member

Default Member patronage

I went to Florida this week for a little vacation. I visited a pool hall that i frequent when I lived there. After all the pleasantries we got talking about what I've been up to. I mentioned the members only tournament in Philly, and to my surprise I was amazed at the number of members of onepocket.org that were there. I asked them why they don't participate in the tourney. I received different answers as you could expect. But the one answer that could be fixed is the one who said I don't play good enough. If they had a tournament for lesser players I would be interested in. Which raises the question of why not. Isn't this the format to advance our great game. Could we have A/B slots. Just food for thought. Don't kill the messenger.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Verified Member

That sounds like a very real possibility. Let's get some responses here from the members who might play, if they could make the scene. As for the rest of you, don't be buying no wigs and fake 'staches. You know who you are.

Count me in - if there's gas in my hack and my laundry is back you can tell 'em I'll be there. If I'm still on my feet and there's something to eat . . . etc.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Verified Member

That sounds like a very real possibility. Let's get some responses here from the members who might play, if they could make the scene. As for the rest of you, don't be buying no wigs and fake 'staches. You know who you are and we do too.

Count me in - if there's gas in my hack and my laundry is back you can tell 'em I'll be there. If I'm still on my feet and there's something to eat . . . etc.

As you were - duplicate rant here.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 PM
Verified Member

as in any competition those that realize they have little chance of winning also realize that it isnt worth playing.

that is why poker has grown and pool has died. poker everyone thinks they have a chance of winning and beating anyone there. and they do.

in pool virtually always the top players take off all the money. so only a fool plays or someone that wants to lose but it does not matter to them for the pleasure of playing.

so unless you have a handicapping system that really makes it even you have little hope of large participation.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Verified Member

i am one of the players that realizes i wont go far in a tourney with really good players
i went to the members tourney knowing this
because
i wanted to meet the guys
i got a chance to play many of the members outside of tournament matches
and got a chance to sweat some really good onepocket
and i won $5 off mitch...............
which he refused to autograph...........
i also met alot of nice locals to play and sweat matches with.
i would hope some lesser players would consider some of these reasons to attend
and not say fuhgettaboutit because they cant win.....
just sayin
Old 07-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Verified Member

I think you are on to something.

If I was a host venue I would hold qualifying trnmnts for my lesser players. They at least get a chance to play a few games.

Also if the tourney has open spots why not give the locals a spot or 2 or 3?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:03 PM
Verified Member

Default Member patronage

[QUOTE=lll;261539i won $5 off mitch...............

which he refused to autograph...........

[/QUOTE]

Larry Ive had a change of heart. Send me the fin and I will be happy to.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Larry Ive had a change of heart. Send me the fin and I will be happy to.
Please send me a Fin, too. LOL
Old 07-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoretallpaul View Post
I went to Florida this week for a little vacation. I visited a pool hall that i frequent when I lived there. After all the pleasantries we got talking about what I've been up to. I mentioned the members only tournament in Philly, and to my surprise I was amazed at the number of members of onepocket.org that were there. I asked them why they don't participate in the tourney. I received different answers as you could expect. But the one answer that could be fixed is the one who said I don't play good enough. If they had a tournament for lesser players I would be interested in. Which raises the question of why not. Isn't this the format to advance our great game. Could we have A/B slots. Just food for thought. Don't kill the messenger.
Im wondering if you would consider a B bracket at other venues such as Bogies in Houston or is this just a thought for Philly?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Verified Member

I do not know anything about boogies so I can't comment there. This subject came up in general conversation with friends at the pool room the other day. If you did make A slots and B slots doesn't guarantee that people will show to play in that. Just food for thought as I said.