Giants, Lassiter

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
My last post of this man was more about our matches and not enough about him so here goes.

If you people look at the Johnston city tourneys on this site you can see that Lassiter won the All around four times in ten years and the years he didn't win it he won division titles in four of the other six years. Sometimes 2 division titles.

Sometimes he won onepocket, sometimes 9 ball, sometimes 14-1, but he always won something!

He was playing some young player in the 9 ball division, early rounds of the tourney in Johnston City, he won lag for first break and preceded to run 8 racks in a race to eleven!

I watched as he ran out first two racks and I figured it was over. I left and got a coke or something and hung with Cole Dickson for a few minutes.

We both went back to see how the match was going and Lassiter was running out for the eighth consecutive game.

Lassiter broke the ninth game without making a ball and snookered the kid.
The young man missed the one ball trying to kick at it and Lassiter got ball in hand, match over! Kid never got to shoot at a ball!

The next evening he played Buddy Hall in the 9 ball division, he ran 7 straight racks his first shot! Won the match 11-3 or 11-4.

He blew most people away in his tourney matches at 9-ball and 14 and 1.
The next evening Irving Crane blew Lassiter away with 8 straight racks, bahahaha. Go figure.

I say he was the best ever and I just can't give this man enough respect, he set the standard on pool's biggest stage, may his Legacy live on thru time.

Someone post his picture, HE DESERVES IT

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for that Keith!! Here are some:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keith thanks for the story
hope all is well
please keep posting
i always enjoy the read....:)
larry

keoneyo

Verified Member
I was lucky to catch Wimpy in the late 60's. Everyone talks about his game but I really am interested in his personage. While guys like Fatty was all over the place, Wimpy seems to never say a thing. If he missed he just sat down. He seemed focused on his game. But what was he like. From what I understood never married stayed to himself and was a great guy. No bad habits except for Burgers.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I was lucky to catch Wimpy in the late 60's. Everyone talks about his game but I really am interested in his personage. While guys like Fatty was all over the place, Wimpy seems to never say a thing. If he missed he just sat down. He seemed focused on his game. But what was he like. From what I understood never married stayed to himself and was a great guy. No bad habits except for Burgers.

In Houston !980, Lassiter played Greg Stevens in tourny 9ball Greg won the lag, ran 6, got hooked rolled out, Lassiter passed, Greg sawed one in ran out then added 4 more game. Sweater shook his ,asked wimpy what can you do about that? Lassiter said work on my lag. What a guy ! :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Squirrel, It is good seeing you post again. Stringing racks like that is not easy, for it was not easy to make a ball on the break. Just outstanding play.

I have a question. In the years you were there in Johnston City was the tournament 9-ball rules played by a shoot-out rules on any shot?

And also was it a ball in hand anywhere when two consecutive fouls occurred.

And also a ball illegally pocket or jumped off the table was spotted vs. staying down. thanks, Whitey

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Johnston City rules

Johnston City rules

No roll out in 1970 any foul ball in hand, I pulled out of the 1971 tourney before the 9 ball play started, I assume it was still the same.

Stardust tourney was the same Johnston City thru 72.

As far as jumping balls off the table it didn't come into play in my matches, I just don't know.