Steve Moore vs. Efren Reyes 2007 D.C.C.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I aint playin' virtual pool

I aint playin' virtual pool

...I am deigning to graciously endow the members with strategy that you can use anytime, and anywhere, and against anybody. The forum is fortunate to have two Master bank pool players on hand to release --for free -- these important concepts.

Beard

The "results" argument is one of the least constructive ones that there is. When I was a kid I watched Chicago Pony of Bensingers, who was Chicago's best player, stroke a ball by swinging his arm out about a foot and then curving in and contacting the cue ball perfectly. I actually practiced doing that because I was so impressed with Pony's game. It was only when a good samaritan good player woke me up and suggested I eliminate following in Pony's stroke footprints. His reasoning to me was solid, he said Pony was a good player in spite of his horrible fundamentals, not because of them.

The point being, Stevie Moore won the tournament in spite of his poor strategy selections, not because of them. His talent overpowered his poor knowledge of the game. Finally, poor strategy will only carry you so far, no matter how good you shoot if you play FULL RACK. Nine ball banks is close to a crap shoot. (Jay Helfert beat me at DCC one year):eek:

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
... <snip>
The point being, Stevie Moore won the tournament in spite of his poor strategy selections, not because of them. His talent overpowered his poor knowledge of the game. Finally, poor strategy will only carry you so far, no matter how good you shoot if you play FULL RACK. Nine ball banks is close to a crap shoot. (Jay Helfert beat me at DCC one year):eek:
In fact, as I understand it from hearing you guys talk about the Banks tournament at DCC, the race to three games short rack format kind of invites an aggressive style that sometimes wins matches and sometimes wins the whole damn thing, but also often leads to a quick crash and burn.

New to You Q's, not to speak for Freddy or Dennis, but what they are talking about is solid bank strategy that is going to give you a competitive edge over the long haul. I obviously need this kind of advice myself :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Wow... I wasn't bashing you for posting this... I love your situational shot posts and I am having a great time responding. Nothing I type should be taken in a mean spirited way... I just type what I think.

I totally agree it was the wrong shot... and a blatantly wrong shot at that. However, you and Freddy were pretty much making Stevie out to be bank pool ignorant with statements like:

Jamie,

I didn't feel you were bashing me but maybe were a step from it. My fault for over-reacting to your post. I get the "defend the player" type replies all the time and they get old.

You say that Moore is not considered a "bank-pool player" by purists and then you complain that we are making him out to be "bank-pool ignorant". It's the contradiction that I don't like. He's either a bank-pool player and we can point out his thought-mistake or he's not a bank-pool player and just got a few good breaks to win the 2007 DCC Bank tourney even though he's "bank-pool ignorant". It's one or the other but not both, that's all I'm saying.

Thank you for writing what you think and feel, I always appreciate that.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Freddy, don't forget we also have Brumback:D.

Cowboy "haven't picked on JB for a while" Dennis

Fred was talking about ME, and John B., you idiot !!...And Fred don't play too bad himself, (maybe 3rd or 4th)...You would rank somewhere in the high twenties at bank pool. (on this forum)..:rolleyes: :sorry

Last edited:

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Jamie,

I didn't feel you were bashing me but maybe were a step from it. My fault for over-reacting to your post. I get the "defend the player" type replies all the time and they get old.

You say that Moore is not considered a "bank-pool player" by purists and then you complain that we are making him out to be "bank-pool ignorant". It's the contradiction that I don't like. He's either a bank-pool player and we can point out his thought-mistake or he's not a bank-pool player and just got a few good breaks to win the 2007 DCC Bank tourney even though he's "bank-pool ignorant". It's one or the other but not both, that's all I'm saying.

Thank you for writing what you think and feel, I always appreciate that.

Dennis

I don't feel he is not a Bank Pool player, and I never personally said he wasn't, so no contradiction from me ... anyone who wins that tournament can play some banks. I agree that in the long haul when playing the correct shot the percentages are on your side. But there have been many-a-player that play a style that flies in the face of "the correct way to play the game" and are successful due to other strengths of their game.

I'm sure there were a lot of 1P purists that cringed when Shane and Earl were the finalists in the DCC 1P event last year.

Anywho... can we get on to a new layout to ponder? ;)

Jamie

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't feel he is not a Bank Pool player, and I never personally said he wasn't, so no contradiction from me ... anyone who wins that tournament can play some banks. I agree that in the long haul when playing the correct shot the percentages are on your side. But there have been many-a-player that play a style that flies in the face of "the correct way to play the game" and are successful due to other strengths of their game.

I'm sure there were a lot of 1P purists that cringed when Shane and Earl were the finalists in the DCC 1P event last year.

Anywho... can we get on to a new layout to ponder? ;)

Jamie
Me, for one. And then in twenty years or so, we end up having guys like this nominated for the One Pocket HOF, lol. Doubt it? JUst look at Harold Worst. Great player, but can anyone tell me that they even ever heard a rumor that he cared a bit about the game of One Pocket, other than it was an available game that he could win money at, and any game involving pool or billiard balls and pool or billiard tables, he had the monster talent to win that money? The guy is already in the BCA hall of fame -- we do not need him in ours, in my opinion.

Ooops I guess this was a hijack, but it does fit the topic of players that win even though they play the "wrong" shots -- they overcome it with their talent. The short races to three at DCC are an especially good format for these players. Of course, to their credit, at DCC they have to go something like 12-1 to win against those huge fields.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Dear beer breath,

Thin off of the BROWN 7 BALL and go down table.Iffin he don't do that he don't no bankpool.John from the hills of ky brumback:lol

Being from Chicago, that's the only shot I thought of, a knee jerk reaction once I saw the 7 don't go. Like I said long ago, and Freddy enjoyed my expression. I'll let my opponent do the ''heavy lifting''.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CFB,

Maybe I'll look at a few of your matches later and see if I can find one where you did something right and I'll post it up:D.

RBL

Nah Dennis, go ahead and post a stupid one if you want to.:eek: CFB

Dear Swingin' on an old tire at the waterhole breath,

I put up a good one but I will have a question for you after I show what you did.

Isn't it always like that with me?:p

RBL