AZ State Onepocket Championship

Bacon

From
Phoenix, AZ
Hey, what's up forum and fellow onehole junkies. Yup, longtime lurker finally caved in and made an account. I'm @Freezer's in Tempe, AZ watching Scott Frost, Mitch Ellerman, Bernie Pettipiece, Paul Potier, etc vie for the 2018 AZ onehole title. Good deals on beer and food as well. Anyway, back to the action.....😁

bernie p

Verified Member
The final for this tournament will be coming up after the current race to three, the winner getting back to play Scott Frost in the finals.

For what it’s worth I am planning on commentating that much.

Bernie.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The final for this tournament will be coming up after the current race to three, the winner getting back to play Scott Frost in the finals.

For what it’s worth I am planning on commentating that much.

Bernie.

hi bernie
i love your game and your commentating
how come you arent playing scott?:confused:
what happened ??

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I was able to watch a bit of this tournament today, and am very impressed by how quickly the players were able to complete all the matches in two days...one and a half days actually...it was over by 6 pm. Race to 4 winner side, to 3 on the loser side. No time clocks. No Grady Rule. No matches starting at 3 in the morning. No dilly dallying. No excessive looking them over. No 5-6 hour matches (that I'm aware of anyway.) Get to the table, make a decision and shoot! I can't recall any moment whilst I watched when any player looked 'em over for more than a minute. I guess it helps speed things up when Scott Frost dominates the field, but they must know something down there in AZ about efficient play. How do they do it? Is it an age thing? Is there some kind of unspoken etiquette at work that causes players to get on with it?

Bernie, your play and commentary was lovely, as they might say in Old Blighty. You are also known to be a careful and patient tactician of the game. Some might observe that your matches often last longer than your average. I'd love to hear your explanation for the rapid pace of this tournament. It is possible that you have not read through any of the many threads this year regarding slow play at tournaments and "what can be done?!?" Your insights please.

frmn

Verified Member
There actually was a time limit on the matches, three and 1 half hours. Players were notified at 3 hours and 30 minutes later whomever was ahead won. several matches went to at least the notification.

The reason the tournament was done so fast is because of having Scott Frost and Mitch Ellerman in the final 8. These players so creatively and offensively get out of traps.They force mistakes and the slightest slip 8 and out the game is over. Match is over. They make a bracket zoom.

Congratulations for another Arizona State 1P title to Scott Frost. You have made everyone in the State of Az so much better over the last 20 years. Some day we will catch you.

Thank you Mitch for coming down from Vegas and showing all your fans your great skills.

Thanks to Junior Flores and Cheryl for a smooth running tournament.

Scott and Freezer's gets thanks again for hosting and adding $2000 to the tournament. Great job.

31 players, no fish.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There actually was a time limit on the matches, three and 1 half hours. Players were notified at 3 hours and 30 minutes later whomever was ahead won. several matches went to at least the notification.

The reason the tournament was done so fast is because of having Scott Frost and Mitch Ellerman in the final 8. These players so creatively and offensively get out of traps.They force mistakes and the slightest slip 8 and out the game is over. Match is over. They make a bracket zoom.

Congratulations for another Arizona State 1P title to Scott Frost. You have made everyone in the State of Az so much better over the last 20 years. Some day we will catch you.

Thank you Mitch for coming down from Vegas and showing all your fans your great skills.

Thanks to Junior Flores and Cheryl for a smooth running tournament.

Scott and Freezer's gets thanks again for hosting and adding $2000 to the tournament. Great job.

31 players, no fish.

Dang that’s fast. Our tournaments take 4 days:eek:

El Chapo

Verified Member
I have this rule anyone with the presence to have the screen name of bacon gets a big welcome from me. Good one. So welcome and thanks for the heads up!

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA
I found the results if anyone is interested

Attachments

• CAFC2026-6777-4141-8C3A-702A1A0EE501.jpeg
    CAFC2026-6777-4141-8C3A-702A1A0EE501.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I thought Paul Potier was a Canadian player?? Of course Bernie is Irish or something originally lol -- AZ is a good place to go obviously :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting. Haven't heard Potier's name since the late '90s. He was a strong 9-baller at the time, winning his fair share of events-- mostly West coast. Runs in my mind that he got into some commercial business endeavor.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Interesting. Haven't heard Potier's name since the late '90s. He was a strong 9-baller at the time, winning his fair share of events-- mostly West coast. Runs in my mind that he got into some commercial business endeavor.

~Doc

He did pool school in paradise for years with Massey, Allison and himself I think in Vancouver. He's been going overseas to visit his daughter in, Japan? He combined playing with his over seas visits, he's still in the mix. Learning this game. He could be a great one hole player in time, he has allot of knowledge and pockets balls well, he's about a 1/2 ball under Rafa when they were both in their prime.