A Simple End Rail Kicking Sytem

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Here's an excerpt from a long time friend, Walt Harris of mine that passed away few years ago from, Volume I of "The Billiard Atlas." It's a array of systems and theories from some of the TOP 3C players from the past 40 years.

Maybe some of the guest and members have seen this system, if not, it's really simple, reliable system for, "End Rail kicks" on a Pool table, 3 or 4 cushions.

It should work on any size table, because the English is 12 O'clock for ALL positions.

View attachment 10661

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im surprised to see you posting systems when you are more of a "feel" guy........:D
BUT
this is a usefull one for one pocket
there are other systems to calculate the same aim points
but this one is relatively easy to remember and compute

TomRoden

Verified Member
its similar to

its similar to

very similar to the "Corner 5" system. both quite accurate.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
3C, is Walt otherwise known as "Bud"? Also, ive always wondered - are you permitted in pool or billiards to have a scrap of paper on which to figure the 1st rail target? I know Nick Varner used to practice with some index cards tbat had kicking lanes and systems on it.

This system would be good when you need to take a 2-rail intentional on the other side of the stack.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
3C, is Walt otherwise known as "Bud"? Also, ive always wondered - are you permitted in pool or billiards to have a scrap of paper on which to figure the 1st rail target? I know Nick Varner used to practice with some index cards tbat had kicking lanes and systems on it.

This system would be good when you need to take a 2-rail intentional on the other side of the stack.

Walt was NOT "Bud" Harris, Bud was actually a pretty good player for the time he was around in the 60's at Bensingers. He taught me some VERY important things about 3C.

If you'll notice, I edited my post to include a system I devised a while back for "Two Cushion" banks. It's a little mathematical, but VERY accurate!

You are NOT allowed any foreign device at the table to calculate any shot, other than, your brain, cue and the table.

A very funny story, in the 1982 Ray Abrams held a BIG tournament at his room in Oak Park, MI., just outside Detroit.

Many TOP players from the USA and other counties, one guy showed up to play that no one had ever seen before.

A real "nerdy" looking guy, white short sleeve short, pocket protector, pants hiked up liked he was expected a flood in the pool room!

Well, this guy winds up in my flight, and we play the first game. After a few innings go by, the guy has a bank a shot.

He proceeds to pull out from behind the pocket protector, this rotating cardboard wheel that He say's he invented to calculate shots. So, I ask him, "What are you doing?" "I'm figuring this shot out with my calculator, I'll be ready in a second."

I said, politely to him, "You do know you're NOT allowed any "outside" calculating device to figure out any shot, it's the rules!"

Well, you would of thought I'd just told a 4 year old kid, there's NO Santa Claus! This guy looked so dejected and confused, he couldn't make a billiard, I think I won the game 25-2.

I felt bad for the guy, he was so proud of his invention, that he had to leave in his pocket.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
For those that "Mathematically" minded, here's a system I devised about 30 years ago for Two Cushion (banks, kicks).
This system accurately calculates the rail contact point for an "equal angle" rebound, but the rolling CB will make it rebound long. I suggest tweaking the system by aiming at the diamond on the rail instead of the rail contact point to compensate for this.

The shorthand description of your math is: "the equal-angle 'slope' for any kick/bank shot = total lateral distance / total vertical distance". You can even plug these two numbers into a trig formula to get the angle, but it's not necessary for this.

pj
chgo

Last edited: