2014 One Pocket and Banks HOF Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 11th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last ten years we have elected many players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame, both for One Pocket and for Bank Pool.

Yet there are many other Banks & One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. Later this month the final list of candidates will be placed into the official Hall of Fame ballots, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket & Banks.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of both One Pocket & Banks. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of these games are clearly invited too.

The 11th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 27, 2015 during the 17th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Make your reservations early!

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message to me, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

And finally, please get involved in the discussion; Everyone here should either have questions or answers or both, so there is no excuse not to jump in!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It might be time to get Johnny "Irish" (Lineen) in the 1P before his and other early names pass completely out of consciousness. He was a fearsome player his whole life. Our departed friend Freddie B. said that Johnny Irish could beat 80% of the guys already in the 1P HOF.

Another great would be Johnny Vevis, who won the first one-pocket tournament at Johnston City.

It also may be time to consider Eddie Robbin for the Teachers and Promoters category. Eddie's books on one-pocket have been the most sought after manuals of the game for 20 years.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
At a young age, and before I knew anything about one pocket, I saw Earl Shriver play some big money matches. At the time I thought he was amazing, and I've herad that he was a very strong road player for a long time.

I'm sure there are several members here who know a lot more about him than I do, but here's trotting his name out for consideration.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
For your consideration...

For your consideration...

Here are some of the other names that have been on the ballot in prior years that have not yet received enough votes to get in:

Rafael Martinez
Billy Palmer
Al ‘Little Al’ Romero
Marcel Camp (deceased)
Johnny Ervolino (deceased)
Danny Jones (deceased)
Johnny 'Irish' Lineen (deceased)
Eugene ‘Clem’ Metz (deceased)
Gene Skinner (deceased)
Joey Spaeth (deceased)
‘Mexican Johnny’ Vasquez (deceased)
'Junior' Goff
Warren 'Monk' Costanza
Earl Heisler (deceased)
Cecil Tugwell (deceased)
Frank ‘Bananas’ Rodriguez (deceased)
Cleo Vaughn (deceased)
Eddie Robin
Johnny Vevis (deceased)
Glen ‘The Eufaula Kid’ Womack (deceased)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
among the departed i would give a nod for consideration to marcel camp
and eugene "clem" metz
among the living i would suggest billy palmer

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In my view, another consideration is that it's not absolutely necessary to induct a living player each year. There is a bouquet of deceased players who would qualify for the 1P HOF, whereas the living players group is currently pretty thin. There will technically be an unending list of future champions, while the deceased deserving players of a bygone era are by nature limited. IMO it would be a shame, and also a disservice to the existing HOF honorees, if we had the tendency to simply induct a living player each year.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It might be time to get Johnny "Irish" (Lineen) in the 1P before his and other early names pass completely out of consciousness. He was a fearsome player his whole life. Our departed friend Freddie B. said that Johnny Irish could beat 80% of the guys already in the 1P HOF.

Another great would be Johnny Vevis, who won the first one-pocket tournament at Johnston City.

It also may be time to consider Eddie Robbin for the Teachers and Promoters category. Eddie's books on one-pocket have been the most sought after manuals of the game for 20 years.

~Doc

I asked Jersey Red who was the best player. He said Johnny Irish was the best player he'd seen. Red said when I was a young man, Irish beat everone.
Rod.
P.S. To quote Eddie Taylor "Marcel Camp was the best money player of all. Would play one game for all he had. and play his top speed.
To quote Artie, not verbatim "Camp knew the game of one pocket inside out and as well as anyone"

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
the old time greats need to get in sooner or later. as doc says soon they will be forgotten especially in the voting as younger members will tend to vote for those they have seen.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
This is among the many sectors in the billiard world where Freddy is dearly missed - his opinions on players of yesteryear. Eddie Robin seems like a great choice; regarding the older players, I, like most folks I'm sure, know only what I read in Freddy's books!

Perhaps Artie can be of some assistance?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I asked Jersey Red who was the best player. He said Johnny Irish was the best player he'd seen. Red said when I was a young man, Irish beat everone.
Rod.
P.S. To quote Eddie Taylor "Marcel Camp was the best money player of all. Would play one game for all he had. and play his top speed.
To quote Artie, not verbatim "Camp knew the game of one pocket inside out and as well as anyone"[/QUOTE]

the parts i bolded coming from rod as the relaying the messages should be strong endorsements for johnny lindeen and marcel camp
i agree with doc that the deceased should not be forgotten especially since no one knows how many will be around that were there for "the good old days"
no offence intended....:)

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Rod.
To quote Artie, not verbatim "Camp knew the game of one pocket inside out and as well as anyone"[/QUOTE]

the parts i bolded coming from rod as the relaying the messages should be strong endorsements for johnny lindeen and marcel camp
i agree with doc that the deceased should not be forgotten especially since no one knows how many will be around that were there for "the good old days"
no offence intended....:)

Larry, I'm of the same opinion for a slightly different reason: I think we need to concentrate on those that are older or passed and only induct "younger" players as an exception.

Wubout Steve Cook - is he in?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Is there a fundraising thread like we have done before? If so I would like to donate some items to help raise money. Thanks for all that you do Steve and perhaps I will even be able to make it this year.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
A word for a West Coast selection: JOHN HENDERSON:eek::cool:
As far as Teachers and Promoters, here is a guy in California that has been teaching, writing news letters, and promoting one pocket for over fifty years. Ronnie, SJ Dick count among his road pardners. He has played everyone in that time. If there was a Best Coast one pocket HOF instead of the Chicago HOF, he would be in, as he is a living legend on the Best Coast,
John Henderson aka,
Gentleman John, aka,
J R Hendy.
If there were inductees for heart, John would top the list.
As far as old timers, who says they cannot be inducted by FIAT? You could pick out the best players in the 20's, 30's 40's etc and install them. Not have a living person inducted?:frus HERESY!!! Why have the dinner, you can just post it on the Web Site.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
In my view, another consideration is that it's not absolutely necessary to induct a living player each year. There is a bouquet of deceased players who would qualify for the 1P HOF, whereas the living players group is currently pretty thin. There will technically be an unending list of future champions, while the deceased deserving players of a bygone era are by nature limited. IMO it would be a shame, and also a disservice to the existing HOF honorees, if we had the tendency to simply induct a living player each year.

~Doc

I agree with what Doc said here 1,000%....no way should you lessen the level of One Pocket greatness required to be awarded H.O.F. membership, just to, by rote, induct a living player each year.

- Ghost

bstroud

Verified Member
Here are some of the other names that have been on the ballot in prior years that have not yet received enough votes to get in:

Rafael Martinez
Billy Palmer
Al ‘Little Al’ Romero
Marcel Camp (deceased)
Johnny Ervolino (deceased)
Danny Jones (deceased)
Johnny 'Irish' Lineen (deceased)
Eugene ‘Clem’ Metz (deceased)
Gene Skinner (deceased)
Joey Spaeth (deceased)
'Junior' Goff
Warren 'Monk' Costanza
Earl Heisler (deceased)
Cecil Tugwell (deceased)
Frank ‘Bananas’ Rodriguez (deceased)
Cleo Vaughn (deceased)
Eddie Robin
Johnny Vevis (deceased)
Glen ‘The Eufaula Kid’ Womack (deceased)

I may be one of the few people on this site that played many and knew most of the players on this list.

Played Joey Spathe 50 dollar one pocket for 8 hours in Balt. MD lost 150.00 in a White Tornado.

Played Cecil several times and won every time.

Played Bananas at the tropicana in LA when I was very young and lost.

Played Mexican Johnny in Indianapolis and won 6 games at 50.00.

Gave Little Al the 7 one game and the 8 one game and won.

Played Marcel Camp pay ball in Macon GA and broke even.

Played Junior Goff 20 dollar one pocket (all he would bet) in Tampa and broke even.

Saw Eufaula playing even one pocket with Hayden Lingo in OKC.

So I have a lot of experience with most of these players.

When I asked E. Taylor who the best player he ever saw. He did not hesitate.

Johnny Irish. I respect his opinion and Irish would be my choice.

Bill S.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Also for your consideration for Banks...

Also for your consideration for Banks...

These are some of the names that have been on prior ballots for Bank Pool:

'Tough Tony' Brewer
Clyde Childress (deceased)
'Buddy' Hall
Marvin Henderson (deceased)
Kenny ‘Romburg’ Remus (deceased)
Rudolf Wanderone ‘Minnesota Fats’ (deceased)
Greg Sullivan

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
My picks

My picks

Current living player... Gentleman John Henderson, who promotes the game as well as any I have seen.

Deceased player, I have to agree with Doc, Irish gets my vote...

Banks... Only one that comes to mind is Jason Miller and I don't know if he is already in or not...

B

beatle

Verified Member
i think it would seem okay to most to induct a living player every year, and also one or more of those not with us anymore as felt appropriate.

treeMan

Verified Member
Rod.
To quote Artie, not verbatim "Camp knew the game of one pocket inside out and as well as anyone"

Based on Rod's standing and the gentlemen he quoted, I recommend Johhny Irish and Marcel Camp.

tree

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Johnny Irish would be the pick, I have heard too many great things about him. Johnny Irish had a pool room in Miami Fl. by the "dog track" It was an open air room, right on the beach. (So i'm told) I was there in 1961, I was around 18 years old and I played pool in Deni Moors Pool Room on Flagler street, across from the Tammi Ammi Hotel. Not sure about the spelling of the names but they were the the places to play, and stay. The Tammi Ammi had a bath room on every floor, it was a big place with three levels of rooms. (three floors) My room rent was $5 a night. Deni Moors is a legendary room in Miami, there was a 6x12 snooker table there with the smallest pockets I have ever seen. They were smaller than the one's in Bell Flower at Hard Times, in spite of what John H. may say.:p The players that played at Deni Moors at that time were;

Jonnny Vevis
Marcel Camp
Ray St Lawrence
Harry Cohen
Canadian Pete
Ray Booth
Cuban Joe
Killroy

And no one wanted to play Johnny Irish, that I remember. Matter of fact no one.. period.. wanted to play him..at least not for the time that I was there, which was for over four months. Actually there was not much talk about Irish among the players because he was too well respected and that was all that one needed to know.. If you know what I mean.:heh

The only other player on Steve's list that would of had a chance against Irish would be "Cincinnati Clem" Metz. Clem was very well respected among all the great players back then, he was considered to be the best by many that truly knew how he played. I took a short "road trip" with Clem and "The Jockey" Norman Howard. It was a learning experience ..to say the least.:D

Clem played exceptionally well from behind his back, there have been people that say he couldn't give himself a ball and win playing regular. To me it sounds like a folklore, however, he was the strongest players in the country playing behind is back. I'll tell the story about our road trip some other time.

Johnny Irish and Clem Metz are my choices, followed by Ervolino.

Dr. Bill