Jansco brothers/Johnston City

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We received this request from the granddaughter of one of the 1P HOF-worthy Jansco brothers, Paulie Jansco. It was included at the end of another thread, so y'all may have missed it. It would be helpful and gentlemanly for any of us who might have some of the type material she is looking for, or at least some good suggestions, to step up to the plate for her.

Mike Shamos at The Billiard Archive would probably be helpful, but I don't have a website for him. Bob Jewett would have it. He can be reached at: jewett@bill.labs.agilent.com

The following is Miss Amy's post:

"I'm the grand-daughter of Joe "Paulie" Jansco. I'm trying to get any information that I can since my mother, Janis, past away in October. I don't want this history to go too. I would like to get, at least, copies of old articles and pictures. If you know how I can do this at all I would greatly appreciate any help you may be willing to give. I would pay and copy or shipping fees. Please!
Thank you,
Amy Leigh Burgess"

Good luck!

Doc

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Ritchie Florence

Ritchie Florence

If you're going to induct the Janscos and Greg Sullivan as promoters Ritchie should be included. Let us not forget that he almost singlehandedly put pool on TV in major markets first. It wasn't his fault that Bill Cayton and "Big Fights" ruined him professionally.
I still recall Ritchie's events with fondness.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Paulie Joe Janso

Paulie Joe Janso

Whoever didnt see this post on a previous thread I am repeating it in this, a more pertinent thread.
the Beard

Originally Posted by browneyedgirl81
I'm the grand-daughter of Joe "Paulie" Jansco. I'm trying to get any information that I can since my mother, Janis, past away in October. I don't want this history to go too. I would like to get, at least, copies of old articles and pictures. If you know how I can do this at all I would greatly appreciate any help you may be willing to give. I would pay and copy or shipping fees. Please!
Thank you,
Amy Leigh Burgess

My experience with your granddad was a wonderful one. In the late 60s I was at Johnston City with my father, a 70 yr old man. I was just a kid in my 20s. Early one morning I was playing a session in the room across from the Show Lounge. (Time meant nothing down there) While I was playing, the clean-up guy was attempting to swamp out the place. He was in his early 60s, but he was already an old man. He was trying to mop the floor, but all he was doing was pushing the dirty water from one place to another. My father was in the bleachers watching this performance until he couldn't take it anymore. He was a very fidgity man anyway. He came down from the bleachers and took the mop from the "old man's" hand. "Gimme the mop Pops, and go sit down." he said. My old man was about 5 or 6 yrs older than the clean-up guy, but he was in great shape. He went and got a clean bucket of hot, soapy water and proceeded to do a journeymans' job on that floor. When he was finished, he gave the old guy the mop and went and sat back down. I was even a little embarassed by my old man's actions, but your Grandpa Paulie had somehow heard about what happened. He got hold of my father and thanked him personally. Then he invited him over to the house for some of your Grandmother's fried chicken. (I was not invited) From then on, my old man couldn't pay for anything for the rest of the tournament. Your Granny would bring him sandwiches. (none for me) But Paulie ended up taking pretty good care of me from then on. He staked me in every tournament there, and in Vegas, and gave me very preferential treatment even though I wasn't yet a top player. In my book your Grandpop was tops.
Freddy the Beard Bentivegna

browneyedgirl81

From
Herrin, IL
Thank you so much. That story was great. Too bad you couldn't try my Grandma's fried chicken. She was an incredible cook; how I learned. Your story reminded me so much of my Pop. If someone did something for him, he never forgot. He would be your friend forever.
I'm trying to keep the Jansco pool story alive. I play 8-ball, APA, out of Herrin, IL at Teddy's Sport's Bar. I'm not as good as the guys my Pop used to play with, but I'm getting better, slowly but surely. So any tips you could give me would be much appreciated also. :)