Member's locations

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey all!

This is an idea Steve came up with that I think sounds pretty neat too! We have a map on the website that pinpoints the approximate locations (zip code) of the members.

Not only will this help members connect who may want to take short field trips to play but also may help decide on future tournament locations and who knows what else.

Here is the live one now:

http://onepocket.org/forum/member-map.php

If you would like to ad your zip code so that you will be populated on this member map, follow this:

1) make sure you are logged in to the forums
2) top left in light blue bar, click first link (USER CP)
3) on left hand side nav bar, click first link (EDIT MY DETAILS)
4) scroll down to the very bottom of thatb page and it's the very last field to fill out (ZIP CODE)
5) click (SAVE CHANGES) at then bottom and you are done!

This particular google map api will only display 400 markers, so if/when we get that many on the map we can look at making adjustments..

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
And it doesn't have to be your actual home Zipcode -- maybe even better if it is the zip of one of the main poolrooms that you play at.

The basic idea (obviously) to help our members find other members and find more games!!!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Great idea. I’m always looking to play when I travel. I’ll be in Ontario tomorrow and unfortunately Frank da Barber is out of commission right now.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Excellent idea. Just entered my zip code. Let me know if I need to do it again as I tend to screw things up from time to time.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
great idea cincy - I'm always willing to drive a bit
Boo said around the first of May for another tournament and said he would call you. I've also slowed down a bit at work so i'm available to get out and play again if you want to get together.

frmn

Verified Member
followed the directions and updated with my zip but I am not on the map.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey all,

The link I posted before just had hard coded values of the 16 people who had their zips already entered.

I have just finished the dynamic version here:
http://onepocket.org/forum/member-map-new.php

That means, it will pull data dynamically (on the fly) every time someone goes to the page it will be up to date with everyone who has a zip listed.

Looks like we are up to 41 so far, keep em coming! :)

I am not sure why the page is taking so darn long to load. Maybe I wil have to look into changing those zip codes to Longitude / Latitude numbers which load quicker.

In any case, this is a start and we will add it to the site someplace for a more permanent home.

PS - Jim, we may need to go in and edit old users if they don't exist anymore. That was the person's username and their zip they have entered...

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
should be free

should be free

Boo said around the first of May for another tournament and said he would call you. I've also slowed down a bit at work so i'm available to get out and play again if you want to get together.

sounds good - I'm out of town this weekend and all next week - we need to get together when I get back.