2019 DCC rules

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
Looks like DCC is going to try something (popular or not) to streamline things. Grady rule plus added rerack if ball made on the break. We’ll get to see at the biggest 1 pocket tournament practical applications of the rules. Guess we’ll find out.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I thought its always been re-rack on break if a ball is made...or at least I think I have been playing that way the last few years there anyways...

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
From DCC Facebook page

From DCC Facebook page

2019 Derby City Classic Rule Changes

One-Pocket:

•If a ball is made on the break, re-rack.
•When more than four balls are in the kitchen at the end of a player’s inning, the ball or balls closest to the end rail are spotted until there are only four balls remaining in the kitchen.

9-Ball:

•The Outsville template will be used in place of the traditional triangle.
•The 9-Ball is to be positioned on the spot when racking.
•Once balls are placed inside the template, do not touch them.
•If the template is not perfectly straight, call for a re-rack.
•A minimum of 3 balls must cross the head-string, less pocketed balls.
•There will be an 18” break-box.

Baby Powder is prohibited during all events at The Derby City Classic.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

One-Pocket:

•When more than four balls are in the kitchen at the end of a player’s inning, the ball or balls closest to the end rail are spotted until there are only four balls remaining in the kitchen.

9-Ball:

I normally dont go to the rules meeting Sunday, but I wouldn't miss this one...Grady/4 ball rule is very easy to understand.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

One-Pocket:

When more than four balls are in the kitchen at the end of a player’s inning, the ball or balls closest to the end rail are spotted until there are only four balls remaining in the kitchen.
VERY interesting. So there will be no up-table games, no wedge games, etc. The rule will definitely shorten many of the races. Now a guy is going to have an additional dimension to be aware of for his CB leave when he's sending a 5th ball into the kitchen.

Will be looking forward to the opinion of our guys after they have played the event.

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
VERY interesting. So there will be no up-table games, no wedge games, etc. The rule will definitely shorten many of the races. Now a guy is going to have an additional dimension to be aware of for his CB leave when he's sending a 5th ball into the kitchen.

Will be looking forward to the opinion of our guys after they have played the event.

~Doc

That rule does change the game quite a bit. I've been playing that way at the Hard Times for a good while.
You have to keep aware or it will cost you. I've learned to play with the rule but it took a while. Sometimes you wind up in a situation where you don't want a ball on the spot but it seems like anything you do will leave another ball behind the string. In those times you have to be extra creative.

Some players will snooze on the rule on purpose if it will benefit them.
I wonder how they will handle the situation when the players forget to spot a ball. Hard Times says to wait until the next player shoots before spotting it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well the writing was on the board, when push came to shove the OP rules had to be changed to accommodate the numbers. Its started, express OP here we go! Whitey

You know I realized another factor in why the One Pocket went late into Friday last year instead of finishing Thursday night. It's the domino effect of their increase in 9-ball from a race to 7 to race to 9. They felt like they had to flood the tournament tables with 9-ball Wednesday (the day the 9-ball starts) in order to not fall behind. It amounted to almost suspending the One Pocket for Wednesday, because they played only one round of One Pocket that day! Ultimately I believe they ended up a day behind in 9-ball too anyway lol -- not just One Pocket :D:D

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
So, it looks like we all are gonna be playing rerack and the Grady rule soon. I wonder how long it will take to become the "norm". Looks like the traditionalist argument of, "we have always played this way", is on the way out.

Seems, once the new rule stopping the strategy of using intentional fouls to lengthen games is adopted, OP will have evolved to it's ultimate form to meet the times and the needs of TD's.:heh:heh

We'll see, I guess...

Cory in dc

Verified Member

One-Pocket:

9-Ball:

If it works ok at DCC (and maybe if it doesn't), Grady rules will simply be the rules. DCC is the premier event and I'm going to play whenever I can under whatever rules they use. I suspect most of us will. I guess we'll have to vote or defer to our benevolent overlord Steve re: the members tournament.

I will be curious to try them out. I might like them.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You know I realized another factor in why the One Pocket went late into Friday last year instead of finishing Thursday night. It's the domino effect of their increase in 9-ball from a race to 7 to race to 9. They felt like they had to flood the tournament tables with 9-ball Wednesday (the day the 9-ball starts) in order to not fall behind. It amounted to almost suspending the One Pocket for Wednesday, because they played only one round of One Pocket that day! Ultimately I believe they ended up a day behind in 9-ball too anyway lol -- not just One Pocket :D:D
Yes, the trickle down effect, in our Pacific Northwest Regional (the largest regional), I've seen it happen time and time again. But, now Bad Boys have shortened the races and then it got back on track, like clock work. I would much rather play in a tournament that had shorter races than play in a tournament that had longer races and everything gets out of whack. I been there and been caught up in that. So, I am very surprised they lengthen the races at DCC.

Racking 9-ball must of also held up the tournament. From what I have witnessed, the breaker would work over the rack tell they got it just right, and sure enough the same ball out of the rack goes in every time, quite hard to watch. The opponent should always rack, because there are to many ways to fudge the rack to make a ball.
It appears now they want to adjust the OP game to allow the 9-ball to go and remain a race to 9. Push comes to shove, you do what you have to do. Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve, I have often wondered of late as to what just was the motive of Grady presenting the Grady alternative rule. Being a hustler, I am sure he was always looking for an advantage. And could it be that the down table game did not suit him, and he wanted to have he and his opponent to stay in the trenches. Was stack play his suit, it sure favors the more knowledgeable and experienced player. I would think. We seen this happen with Scott vs. Orcollo, for on the final day Scott played to keep it stack play and caught up quite a bit.
Also why 4 balls, what is so magical about it? I know when we were discussing express OP, you offered up 2 balls down table and then a ball spots.

I once brought up that only 1 ball can be sent down table consecutively by each player, and on the next shot by the player who originally sent the first ball down table, it then is not allowed to send another ball down table. In other words; "stop the down table play before it gets out of hand". This idea does not favor the first player to send a ball down table.

I guess the Grady Rule does speed up the game, I really do not know! Whitey

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Steve, I have often wondered of late as to what just was the motive of Grady presenting the Grady alternative rule. Being a hustler, I am sure he was always looking for an advantage. And could it be that the down table game did not suit him, and he wanted to have he and his opponent to stay in the trenches. Was stack play his suit, it sure favors the more knowledgeable and experienced player. I would think. We seen this happen with Scott vs. Orcollo, for on the final day Scott played to keep it stack play and caught up quite a bit.
Also why 4 balls, what is so magical about it? I know when we were discussing express OP, you offered up 2 balls down table and then a ball spots.

I once brought up that only 1 ball can be sent down table consecutively by each player, and on the next shot by the player who originally sent the first ball down table, it then is not allowed to send another ball down table. In other words; "stop the down table play before it gets out of hand". This idea does not favor the first player to send a ball down table.

I guess the Grady Rule does speed up the game, I really do not know! Whitey

He made it up because at the time the Varner wedge had killed the one pocket tournaments

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
That rule does change the game quite a bit. I've been playing that way at the Hard Times for a good while.
You have to keep aware or it will cost you. I've learned to play with the rule but it took a while. Sometimes you wind up in a situation where you don't want a ball on the spot but it seems like anything you do will leave another ball behind the string. In those times you have to be extra creative.

Some players will snooze on the rule on purpose if it will benefit them.
I wonder how they will handle the situation when the players forget to spot a ball. Hard Times says to wait until the next player shoots before spotting it.
Hi Frank, in my post #13, I asked quite a few questions about the Grady Rule, and received a response that it came about because of the wedge. Since you have been playing that way, do you think it speeds up the game in some respect.

My idea is to only allow a player to send 1 ball down table but on their next shot it is not allowed. I believe this will help prevent the stack play melt down.

As we see, when the stack play starts to break down a player then plays a ball down table and puts the cue ball center foot rail, then of course the next player does the same, but the next shot it would not be allowed!
This is the frequent scenario I see that breaks down the stack play. Your thoughts!

I assume Grady more than likely helped or ran some tournaments. thanks, Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Steve, I have often wondered of late as to what just was the motive of Grady presenting the Grady alternative rule. Being a hustler, I am sure he was always looking for an advantage. And could it be that the down table game did not suit him, and he wanted to have he and his opponent to stay in the trenches. ...
Grady's innovative rule was instituted for tournament play only, in order to speed up tournament matches. John mentioned the "Varner wedge", but there was other slow play as well.

I don't recall when he used them. It may have been in the '90s at some of his events. In his Gulf Coast Classic here in Gulfport in 2004, we weren't using that rule.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

~Doc

ug, never played grady rule before, i am sure it will cost me at some point lol...

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Update!

Update!

According to Lou, Greg has decided not to change the rules this year. So no worries. Changing the rules so soon before the tournament was probably a bad idea anyway...

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
According to Lou, Greg has decided not to change the rules this year. So no worries. Changing the rules so soon before the tournament was probably a bad idea anyway...

I guess this makes sense. I was kind of hoping it was going to go through just to see if it moved along better.