efren /josh #1

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Josh can carom the 5 ball off the blue 7 ball sending the 5 ball 2 rails to Josh's pocket and freeze the cue ball on the 10 ball and now Efren is trapped.

The angle looks wrong to me from the middle of the end rail to leave the CB behind the 10, playing the 5ball 2 rails. Looks more like playing the 5 into the green/blue to 3-rail it.

I'm not questioning your judgment, just seeing the screenshot differently than you are.

keoneyo

Verified Member
The problem with cutting the 9 ball is what if you miss and leave a cross corner bank in which your opponent can bank it and bring the cue ball uptable behind those balls.. You could end up trapped. I would definitely play the 9 ball off the 5 ball, sending the 9 ball toward my hole pocketing the 5 ball in the side and bury the cue ball behind the other balls... In this case better to trap than be trapped..
P.S. Now everyone wants to play the score OR SO THEY THINK.. Your 2 ball advantage is greatly reduced with the fact that ALL the balls are on your opponents side of the table.
P.S. For those suggesting to thin the 9 ball and drop the cue ball to the end rail..If you do that the cue ball will hit the middle of the end rail.. Josh can carom the 5 ball off the blue 7 ball sending the 5 ball 2 rails to Josh's pocket and freeze the cue ball on the 10 ball and now Efren is trapped.

One last thing this all applies as long as the 10 ball isnt going to come back 1 rail into the cluster of balls

Hacker I like your shot the best and is what I saw. My question is this. The 10 will go to the bottom rail. I would want it to have some right english to go towards my side of the table. If I use left on my cue ball will the english transfer between 3 balls so I end up with right on the 10?

I think moving 3 balls away from my opponent side is the way to go here. Particularly if you can get the 9 (?) near my hole.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hacker I like your shot the best and is what I saw. My question is this. The 10 will go to the bottom rail. I would want it to have some right english to go towards my side of the table. If I use left on my cue ball will the english transfer between 3 balls so I end up with right on the 10?

I think moving 3 balls away from my opponent side is the way to go here. Particularly if you can get the 9 (?) near my hole.

keoneyo
1)i dont think hacker was planning on moving the 10 ball
icbw
2) with the distance the 10 has to travel any collision induced spin that you could generate 3 not frozen balls down the chain i doubt would still be there when it got to the rail
icbw (pj would know...:)_
3) im not sure you want to put 3 balls in play based on the score if you dont have to
icbw

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
80% of the time I too would just thin off the 9 and leave qball on the end rail. simple and safe....

20% of the time i might like this shot.... playing the 9 to carom off the 5, 5 falls in the side , qball behind the 6/14.
leave 9 near your hole and the 5 on the spot..

hmmm .. is this "what would I do" or "what do I think Efren did" question?

I would think what Efren would shoot is "WillieNilly"'s 20% shot of 9 off the 5 ball whereas I, like most of you, would thin the 9 to cluster up more and come down the table.

yes efren caromed the 9 off the 5 AND MADE THE 9
the 5 missed the 10 and the side pocket hitting just on the foot side of the side rail by the side pocket
efren hid behind the balls so
its still efrens shot
wwy do now??
ej2.jpg

ej3.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
efren still shooting
(as we look at the pic efrens pocket is still the lower left)
wwyd now??
ej3.jpg

onepockethacker

Verified Member
2 things.. first.. Efren made it LOL. I guess he hit it like EFREN:D Looks like he can go thin off the 7 ball back and forth to the end rail. He was hoping to get the 9 ball REAL close without making it thus trapping Josh. I also thought he would have the 5 ball go off the 10 ball providing the 10 ball wasnt going to come back off the end rail into the cluster..

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Same shot basically -- in for a nickel in for a dime, lol the solid pale green off the striped pale green and stick-em behind the 10.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Same shot basically -- in for a nickel in for a dime, lol the solid pale green off the striped pale green and stick-em behind the 10.

Heh. That's what I'm thinkin' Efren would do, but only if it can be done without the stripe hitting the 10.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
It's a 6 ball ticky, and freeze em behind the 14 froze to the rail. This shots lays perfect for a high rolling/center cue ball at medium speed.

keoneyo

Verified Member
A side note. I wonder if Ray is going to make the Smokin Aces tournament available on his site to purchase?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It's a 6 ball ticky, and freeze em behind the 14 froze to the rail. This shots lays perfect for a high rolling/center cue ball at medium speed.

Very safe, but not very productive. Looks to me that from behind the 14 there's going to be at least one available route to the far left corner up table, leaving no offensive return.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

I think he can do this with a little jacked up low right and make the cue ball come to rest on Efren's side of the head rail. The cue ball curves a little after contact with the green ball, hits low on the side rail and stops on the end rail. This is all insurance for the possibility of missing the green ball.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
2 things.. first.. Efren made it LOL. I guess he hit it like EFREN:D Looks like he can go thin off the 7 ball back and forth to the end rail. He was hoping to get the 9 ball REAL close without making it thus trapping Josh. I also thought he would have the 5 ball go off the 10 ball providing the 10 ball wasnt going to come back off the end rail into the cluster..

interesting
for the first part of this wwyd
I think many felt Efren would carom the ball and most of us would skim off a ball and come down to the foot rail
rob one of the better players on the site went for the carom in that situation
now rob likes skimming off a ball and many like the green off the green carom
well Efren did like the idea of a carom
but why carom off a ball that's close....;)
that's too easy.....:D
he caromed off the 5 to make the 6 and WIN THE GAME.....:eek:
ej7.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here he is lining up the tangent line
ej6.jpg
and here is the pic as the carom occurs and just before the 6 splits the wicket

ej10.jpg
ej11.jpg

Hidy Ho

Verified Member
From
BKK/SFO
he caromed off the 5 to make the 6 and WIN THE GAME.....:eek:
View attachment 11672

Jeez ... having seen so many "lucky" shot from The Great One, I'm not even all that amazed that he made this shot (not really, I am totally amazed).

Who the hell would even envision this shot and then execute it perfectly?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Jeez ... having seen so many "lucky" shot from The Great One, I'm not even all that amazed that he made this shot (not really, I am totally amazed).

Who the hell would even envision this shot and then execute it perfectly?
I'd envision it and might even try it - but unlike Efren, for me that's a major flaw in my game. :eek:

When the calliope music starts in my head it's Katy bar the door (and Pat pay the man)!

pj
chgo