Two Foul Questions

bigpin22

1. If you inadvertently move 2 balls on the table it is generally considered a foul and the offending player must spot a ball. In the same instance does the opponent get to move the cue ball behind the head string for a ball in hand shot?

2. If a player inadvertently touches the cue ball with their hand does the opponent get ball in hand behind the head string?

Thanks in advance

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
1. If you inadvertently move 2 balls on the table it is generally considered a foul and the offending player must spot a ball. In the same instance does the opponent get to move the cue ball behind the head string for a ball in hand shot?

2. If a player inadvertently touches the cue ball with their hand does the opponent get ball in hand behind the head string?

Thanks in advance

1. I always play that should any player inadvertently move 2 balls on the table that it is a foul and the offending player must spot a ball or owe a ball if he does not have one. The cue ball remains where it is and does not get repositioned behind the head string for a ball in hand shot.

2. Again, I always play that should any player inadvertently touch the cue ball with their hand that it is a foul and the offending player must spot a ball or owe a ball if he does not have one. The cue ball remains where it is and does not get repositioned behind the head string for a ball in hand shot.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Thanks in advance

#1 It's played differently everywhere, lately it's a foul most places.

#2 Yes it's a foul to touch the CB, unless you're spotting a ball.
No ball in hand in either situation.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Bigpin22,
Currently in our OP.org Official Rules there are only 3 ways you can get BIH-BTL; cb pocket scratch, cb jumped, or with BIH-BTL in placing the cb you disturb a ball, that's it, period!
Now if you accidently disturb the cb then it is a foul and ends your inning, and the opponent has the option to accept the table as is or to restore the cue ball.

I site our rule 6.6. and WPA general rule 21. Cue Ball Foul Only.

The only difference in disturbing a single ob vs. the cb is that disturbing the cb also carries a foul along with it.

In looking at these rule writings, it becomes evident the importance of 'definitions' because of the word use of 'ball'. What does 'ball' mean. Here is my definition of Ball; any ball including the cue ball. Whitey

I'd like to see a BIH-BTL 'option' rule for when a cb is in motion and it is inadvertently interfered with. This only makes complete sense, IMO, and this rule should be thoroughly discussed!

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
with an official there at the table, call all fouls or whatever.

for small money, have no harm no foul. it keeps it friendly and fair for both sides.

for big money, only obvious cue ball fouls. otherwise on a hill hill game he just might say your shirt tail touched the cueball.
those are the rules i generally gamble by with everyone including seedly people and have hardly ever a problem.

the game is to win by winning not by winning because of rules.