Frost vs Bustamante

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I have been playing a little three cushion lately and I would shoot a ticky on the green ball closest to the hole, hitting the short rail first, rail, ball, back to short rail, into the long rail and cue ball buried into the pocket in the stack with the green ball banking out to the middle of the table.

Sounds complicated but it is a simple shot with a great outcome. It lays perfect for this shot.

I believe this shot is a classic example of knowledge and experience...
I never saw the shot, nor would I know how much of the 6 ball to try and catch coming off the foot rail, or exactly where to go into the foot rail...

While it’s a simple shot to some, it would be an adventure for me because I’m just not very familiar with the action of the CB and it’s path coming off the 6... To thick, and it rolls above the stack, to thin, it rolls below the stack... Knowing where and how much is paramount with this shot, and experience with shooting it hundreds of times before plays big...

Unquestionably a very good shot selection...

Jim McCary

Verified Member
Like Jeff, I am not smart enough to see and shoot a shot like that. I would simply hit the left edge of the 9 and let the cb roll to the upper rail by the pocket and would be looking for a better shot next time up.

Jim

beatle

Verified Member
when you have the table advantage like this you dont want to leave the cueball lower on the table as it give him a chance to move balls up table and change the game on you.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I don't like the ticky off the green ball attempting to get into the stack. Hit it too thin and you could scratch, hit it too thick and you could end up above the stack and possibly leave a shot at his hole. The best result obtainable from this shot can be accomplished easier and with less risk.

I would play off the 9 ball thinly and put the CB on the opponents side between the side pocket and the second diamond protecting all the balls on my side with little or no risk of selling out. If I felt a little aggressive, I might play off the 9 ball two rails out of the upper corner and into the top of the stack. Still accomplishes the same thing, and easier to control than the ticky kick shot IMO.
:)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Three rail the nine ball and take the cue ball three rail to his side of the table. If you get a kiss it may not be fatal. Takes a bit of skill to read how to get out of the kiss but I think it's worth the risk.

I would play this shot also.
I don't think the 9 goes so I would shoot it short about 6 inches and play the cueball lower on the first rail to take the kiss out of the equation.
{Unless you mishit it}.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have been playing a little three cushion lately and I would shoot a ticky on the green ball closest to the hole, hitting the short rail first, rail, ball, back to short rail, into the long rail and cue ball buried into the pocket in the stack with the green ball banking out to the middle of the table.

Sounds complicated but it is a simple shot with a great outcome. It lays perfect for this shot.

I like your shot best. The angle for this particular shot is ideal to get back safely to the bottom rail with the cue ball after kicking off the bottom rail. This shot plays comfortably, had the cue ball been another 12" up the side rail the the angle changes drastically precluding the cue ball from getting back to the bottom rail naturally often ending up scratching in the pocket. The more perpendicular the angle the quicker the cue ball gets back to the bottom rail naturally.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Oh, so Busty DIDN'T shoot the ticky. I thought he had. I still like Jim's shot the best: kick bank the 6 over to the shooter's hole and roll the CB up toward the side rail.

Busty's initial intentional was a good choice, but he under rolled it. Never got to the stack.

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Oh, so Busty DIDN'T shoot the ticky. I thought he had. I still like Jim's shot the best: kick bank the 6 over to the shooter's hole and roll the CB up toward the side rail.

Busty's initial intentional was a good choice, but he under rolled it. Never got to the stack.

~Doc

Tom Wirth is real good at the kick bank. Ike also made a kick bank or two on me. The tickie into the stack ain’t bad. Third is three railing the 9.

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Appears Busty chose to come into the stack from above, playing two rails out of the corner. Kinda like I suggested, although he chose to take an intentional rather than to play off the 1 ball. I don't think he needed to take the intentional, but his choice to come into the stack from above was a good one.:D