Is there a solution?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
As a fairly proficient player back in the day I remember having the same problem I'm having today. Playing all pool games on any size table was never a problem for me, the exception was one pocket.

Pocketing balls and keeping a smooth steady stroke for hours on end was never a problem playing any game, except one pocket. The longer I play one pocket in any given session, the worse my stroke becomes. It's like the moving, and the constant shooting of safeties puts my stroke into a coma.

Regardless of the shot, when I lose it, I can't execute a decent stroke or complete a smooth even follow through, it becomes short, quick, and incomplete!! Once it starts, I am helpless to overcome this quirk! I would say it's a close cousin to the yips in golf. I feel like I'm dogging it, but I don't really believe that I am, because it happens when I'm not under any pressure whatsoever.

I am making progress with all other aspects of the game. It's gradual, but it's noticeable on a weekly basis. Having a great time and getting the muscles retrained as well as the eyes. It's been hard to adjust to the body soreness, but Advil and Icy Hot have been my daily companions and the pain seems to be less and less each time out.

I'm turned off by the loss of stroke thing I'm going through. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and been able to solve it, or if some of you might have some advice for me to follow?

Jeff

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
jeff
the solution has been mentioned before
try to shoot your safeties with a stroke instead of a bunt
i know its easier said than done

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
My stroke is equally bad in all the games. My problem is it varies too much, shot to shot.
I have also been thinking about getting glasses like Rod has, I just don't see the balls as well as I used too

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You guys that are/were naturals go on automatic pilot. Many don't know what their stroke feels like. When/if you figure it out, you'll be able to go back to basics when it's time to shoot.

After bunting around, it's kinda hard to come with the shot you need.
Rod.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Is there a solution?

My stroke is equally bad in all the games. My problem is it varies too much, shot to shot.

I have also been thinking about getting glasses like Rod has, I just don't see the balls as well as I used too

Me too. Hate to admit I'm human, but I need readers now at work and frankly, I don't see the balls as well either. Problem is regular glasses the angle is wrong. The way I get down I am looking over them anyway.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Me too. Hate to admit I'm human, but I need readers now at work and frankly, I don't see the balls as well either. Problem is regular glasses the angle is wrong. The way I get down I am looking over them anyway.

Rod is wearing snooker glasses. I googled them and they can be ordered from England.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
... I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and been able to solve it, or if some of you might have some advice for me to follow?

Jeff

Here's a suggestion. During each of your practice sessions give yourself 15 minutes wherein you just 'turn your stroke loose'. By that I mean spread the balls out on the table and shoot them with as much draw or follow as possible. Exactly where the cueball stops or if you miss some of the balls is secondary. The point of the drill is to give the combination of your brain and arm an opportunity to exercise the full range of your stroke. Try this every session over a number of sessions, say five, and see if during your OP practice/games your stroke hangs in there longer. Just another one of my hair-brained ideas;)
Glad to hear that you're back in the game, that's where you belong:)

keoneyo

Verified Member
At my age overall physical condition is imperative. Stroke cannot be isolated from the rest of the bodies function. As Ive gotten older my muscles get stiffer and fat has gotten in the way. My body no longer rebounds from minor injuries and major pains can come about because of lack of attention.
A good diet and excercise is necessary. Im not talking about turning oneslef into a yoga vegetarian acolyte but just changing some of the things in your life.

Drink a lot of water. Stay away from heavy starchy sugary foods. Give up cigarettes and environments of the like. Take walks. Start treating your body like a friend.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
At my age overall physical condition is imperative. Stroke cannot be isolated from the rest of the bodies function. As Ive gotten older my muscles get stiffer and fat has gotten in the way. My body no longer rebounds from minor injuries and major pains can come about because of lack of attention.
A good diet and excercise is necessary. Im not talking about turning oneslef into a yoga vegetarian acolyte but just changing some of the things in your life.

Drink a lot of water. Stay away from heavy starchy sugary foods. Give up cigarettes and environments of the like. Take walks. Start treating your body like a friend.

Texas and Louisiana is all about smoking. Screw us non smokers and healthy life style people

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Stroke

Stroke

I have been playing 2/3 times a week for the past seven years. I was never a great player but a good one for over 50 years.

I was pleasantly surprised how good I could still play sometimes and appalled at how bad other times. I work at it constantly and when I go on a bad streak it seems the harder I try to figure it out and the more steps I try to correct it, the worse it gets. I try too hard to get my preshot routine down and line up right and follow through and not jump and......

Then all of a sudden it seems to come together and I get my confidence back. I quit worrying about stance, preshot routine and all that other crap. I believe the older you get the more you have to hit balls to feel comfortable at the table. If I did not have to drive 45 miles I would play more.

I realize I am lucky to be able to play at all and hope it goes on a lot longer.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
As a fairly proficient player back in the day I remember having the same problem I'm having today. Playing all pool games on any size table was never a problem for me, the exception was one pocket.

Pocketing balls and keeping a smooth steady stroke for hours on end was never a problem playing any game, except one pocket. The longer I play one pocket in any given session, the worse my stroke becomes. It's like the moving, and the constant shooting of safeties puts my stroke into a coma.

Regardless of the shot, when I lose it, I can't execute a decent stroke or complete a smooth even follow through, it becomes short, quick, and incomplete!! Once it starts, I am helpless to overcome this quirk! I would say it's a close cousin to the yips in golf. I feel like I'm dogging it, but I don't really believe that I am, because it happens when I'm not under any pressure whatsoever.

I am making progress with all other aspects of the game. It's gradual, but it's noticeable on a weekly basis. Having a great time and getting the muscles retrained as well as the eyes. It's been hard to adjust to the body soreness, but Advil and Icy Hot have been my daily companions and the pain seems to be less and less each time out.

I'm turned off by the loss of stroke thing I'm going through. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and been able to solve it, or if some of you might have some advice for me to follow?

Jeff

Maybe patience could be a problem your having, try to understand that bunting balls and moving is an intricate part of playing solidly. I would try to dedicate an hour a day practicing lagging balls and moving your cue ball to specific areas. Try playing your cue ball off balls to drop to a small area..like falling under balls to create problems for your opponent. Also try to focus on the importance of leaving the cue ball close to, or on a rail. Practicing the weaker parts of your game will always help, however, you first must understand the importance of something in order to develop a high enough interest in it to help yourself.

Dr. Bill

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
an understatement

an understatement

" Practicing the weaker parts of your game will always help, however, you first must understand the importance of something in order to develop a high enough interest in it to help yourself."

If only I could live by that statement...to find satisfaction practicing what I am weak in, until I am not...

B

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thanks to all

Thanks to all

Took all the advice to the pool room yesterday. I'm happy to report that it helped a lot. Played for 9 hours and the stroke remained solid throughout the entire session. 2 hours practicing what was preached, and 7 hours applying it in a good match.

I am grateful to the contributors in this (seeking help thread) for their knowledge and insight. The stroke every shot advice was very helpful, and Dr. Bill was again instrumental in offering his worldly advice on some key issues I was unaware of. All of you were helpful except jtom, I didn't order the snooker glasses! Lol

Thank y'all,

I ain't outta the woods yet, but with the help of youse guys, I'm gettin better!!

bstroud

Verified Member
Jeff,

Imagine you are playing straight pool. Running balls is the key to one pocket.

A drill that I find useful. Put 2 balls anywhere on the table. Pocket one ball in your hole and billiard onto the other ball. Start simple. Once you hit the second ball often concentrate on hitting one side or the other.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Took all the advice to the pool room yesterday. I'm happy to report that it helped a lot. Played for 9 hours and the stroke remained solid throughout the entire session. 2 hours practicing what was preached, and 7 hours applying it in a good match.
9 hours?! Even Henderson doesn't play 9 hours.:D You're going to make some of us SS's envious....;)

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I am grateful to the contributors in this (seeking help thread) for their knowledge and insight. The stroke every shot advice was very helpful, and Dr. Bill was again instrumental in offering his worldly advice on some key issues I was unaware of. All of you were helpful except jtom, I didn't order the snooker glasses! Lol

Thank y'all,

I ain't outta the woods yet, but with the help of youse guys, I'm gettin better!!

Good news.

I think this may apply more to Hendy than to you, but I think the more natural ability a person has the more important it is NOT to have ANY stroke thoughts.

My thought is a close cousin to the suggestion to put full effort into every bunt; it is this: Concentrate on seeing the contact point on the OB all the way to contact. This --for me -- automatically solves the "raising up" problem, and takes my attention away from what I'm doing with the stick.

It's possible that trying to rebuild your game you're consciously thinking too much about how you used to stroke. Fuggedaboudit!

(BTW, even after giving up this gem, I'll still take 10-6.) :D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Good news.

I think this may apply more to Hendy than to you, but I think the more natural ability a person has the more important it is NOT to have ANY stroke thoughts.

My thought is a close cousin to the suggestion to put full effort into every bunt; it is this: Concentrate on seeing the contact point on the OB all the way to contact. This --for me -- automatically solves the "raising up" problem, and takes my attention away from what I'm doing with the stick.

It's possible that trying to rebuild your game you're consciously thinking too much about how you used to stroke. Fuggedaboudit!

(BTW, even after giving up this gem, I'll still take 10-6.) :D

Another good tip explained very well,

Thanks John

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff,

Imagine you are playing straight pool. Running balls is the key to one pocket.

A drill that I find useful. Put 2 balls anywhere on the table. Pocket one ball in your hole and billiard onto the other ball. Start simple. Once you hit the second ball often concentrate on hitting one side or the other.

Bill S.

Also good advice, I like to clearly see the carom angle off the OB before shooting almost any shot, so placing two balls randomly, making one and billiarding the other is a sound practice method. It not only helps your pocketing skills, it makes you consider CB path and what's required in terms of the CB strike, I.e. high, low, left, right, or center ball. Very good Bill, thanks.