Top $$$$ Players Ever.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
A list such as this is purely personal opinion. The following is my opinion. What do you think?

1. Ronnie Allen
2. Eddie Taylor
3. Efren Reyes
4. Kenny Rhomberg, I know, Kenny who? Greatest hidden treasure ever.
5. Leonard Rucker "Buggs"
6. Grady Mathews
7. Steve Mizerak
8. Buddy Hall
9. Clyde Childress
10. Sonny Springer

Playing on OPM, Jersey Red is in my top 5. My #10 pick is another sleeper and personal friend. He was at many Johnston City Jamboree's. Boston Shorty could easily be on my list too.

Last edited:

Purdman

Pretty good list

Pretty good list

I can go with this list. Not bad Hemi. You a one hole player dude. I am hooked. Been that way for 10 years.
Don P. :cool:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Purdman said:
I can go with this list. Not bad Hemi. You a one hole player dude. I am hooked. Been that way for 10 years.
Don P. :cool:

Welcome, Don. Have loved the game for over 30 years. Use to play every day but very seldom any more. By far my favorite game, save golf on the snooker table. 5X10 tables. There were no 12 footers in my area growing up.

We use to play flip for partners every game one pocket. Coaching was allowed by your partner. Played it with pool balls on the snooker table. Stops a lot of the 8 and outs. The best player in the game had a little the best of it but didn't have to like it. That's real gambling. Depending on how pumped up the "Brokest" player in the game was, the bet varried from $5 per man to $200 per man. Great way to learn the game too. You can leave a lot more long shots on the snooker table than you would on the pool table.

Eight & Out

Verified Member
Good list.I would add one name.Every thing I read about him from the old timers you got to say he was one of the best.I am talking about "Rags Fitzpatrick.It's unfortunate that he died at a young age or more people would know about him.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Rags

Rags

Eight & Out said:
Good list.I would add one name.Every thing I read about him from the old timers you got to say he was one of the best.I am talking about "Rags Fitzpatrick.It's unfortunate that he died at a young age or more people would know about him.

That is a good point Eight & Out. I have heard the same thing. One thing I forgot to mention about my list. My list only includes players that I have seen play for the cash. I never saw Rags play.

Gerald

Verified Member
From what I have seen and heard Jack Cooney must be on any list of One Pocket "action" players. He has been a relative unknown "war horse" for many, many yrs. Even past his prime he was getting weight and winning 5 and 6 figure match ups. At HT he was down 6 in a race to 10 ahead with Toby of LV on the 1st night. "Little Al" Romero said it wasn't over that "Jack" was a "war horse" Sure enough Jack walked away with $$$$$$$ 2 days later! 6 mos later he took to the road and took on JW for 5$$$$$$--win. Next was Cliff J 1$$$$$$$--win. All of this was past his prime!!

onepocket1

Efren Reyes is #1 in my book, Anyone want 9 to 7 ?

hemicudas said:
A list such as this is purely personal opinion. The ollowing is my opinion. What do you think?

1. Ronnie Allen
2. Eddie Taylor
3. Efren Reyes
4. Kenny Rhomberg, I know, Kenny who? Greatest hidden treasure ever.
5. Leonard Rucker "Buggs"
6. Grady Mathews
7. Steve Mizerak
8. Buddy Hall
9. Clyde Childress
10. Sonny Springer

Playing on OPM, Jersey Red is in my top 5. My #10 pick is another sleeper and personal friend. He was at many Johnston City Jamboree's. Boston Shorty could easily be on my list too.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
onepocket1 said:
Efren Reyes is #1 in my book, Anyone want 9 to 7 ?

Forgive me Willie,,,,,but Efren may be the greatest pool player ever. I just feel, having seen both Efren and Ronnie in their prime, Ronnie is the greatest one pocket player of all time. I think you will find that most but not all, knowledgeable people who have seen both in their prime will give the edge to Ronnie. What many younger players don't know is that Ronnie, in his prime, ran, 8 or what ever, and out as well as Efren.

Quote Jimmy Reed: In 1966 - Ronnie won the Straight Pool, Nine Ball, and One Pocket All-Around Championship, held at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas.

For over 20 years, nobody would play him even-up one pocket. Facts speak for themselves, in 1971 Ronnie grabbed the microphone at the beginning of the Hustlers Tournament in Johnston City Illinois, offered everybody there 10 to 8 in one pocket --no takers.

yobagua

Everyone seems to forget one of the top one pocket players/entrepeneur and fearless action player. Bill "Weenie Beenie" Staton. He has done more for the game of one pocket than most. Always stirring up action, staking broke pool players, and owning action spots like Jack & Jill. Kept the game alive for many years and a first class gentleman.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
yobagua said:
Everyone seems to forget one of the top one pocket players/entrepeneur and fearless action player. Bill "Weenie Beenie" Staton. He has done more for the game of one pocket than most. Always stirring up action, staking broke pool players, and owning action spots like Jack & Jill. Kept the game alive for many years and a first class gentleman.

Can't argue with a word of that Yo. No player was more loved. Photo of Weenie Beenie with another of my favorite players.

railbird

Verified Member
Top $$$$ Players

Top $$$$ Players

Cuda:

You have a good list but maybe a couple of ommisions and one short stop!
Must adds:
Jack Cooney (your kind of guy)
Squirel
Artie (Chicago)
Vernon Elliot (quite but deadly)
Fly Boy (for the cash)

Short Stop:
Sonny Springer (not on this list)

Also number three and four could be on a bank pool list but this is one pocket site!

Got to love this new hog pool side! That's right grab a hole and hog eight in!

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Did I miss someone mentioning Jack Breit? 'Jersy Red'?

this guy robbed everyone in Texas and even gave up a "6 No-Count" spot...

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
You must have Tom

You must have Tom

SactownTom said:
Did I miss someone mentioning Jack Breit? 'Jersy Red'?

this guy robbed everyone in Texas and even gave up a "6 No-Count" spot...
You probably missed my post script Tom. He's in there. I said, playing on OPM Jersey Red is in my top 5.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The Greatest Quote in History of OP.org.

The Greatest Quote in History of OP.org.

hemicudas said:
Played it with pool balls on the snooker table. Stops a lot of the 8 and outs.

Been bored and looking around. This stopped me dead. So funny. I've played with pool balls on the 5x10(snooker table) but I made the mistake of spotting a guy one side of the table to my corner. I didn't like it. Don't remember how much I lost. "Stops a lot of the 8 and outs". The greatest. Hell, it stops some of the 1 and outs, at least on a snug table.

Hope you are doing well Bill.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
what does top $$$$ mean. guys that made the most money in their career.
or those that didnt dog it for the cash.
or those that just bet high often.

most of the big names never made alot as they lost it as fast as they won.
and alot made money dumping their backers, that cant count.

cornbread red made alot and was always broke but didnt dog it.

jay helfert

Verified Member
The biggest money players list has to include Cornbread Red and Jew Paul. They were playing people for ten thou a game thirty years ago.

Rosey bet higher than anyone before or since and Archie played many a game where six figure scores were made and lost. Jack Cooney made the biggest scores on a regular basis. He was the best pure hustler.

Bucktooth gets an honorable mention for gambling high and our own Pittsburgh Billy never was afraid to bet it up. On his own dough too! Ronnie won millions on the table and lost it all at the track. Keith also loved to play sky high pool....on other people's money. Although he would bet his own as well.

Richie Florence would bet the ranch on any game he made. Weenie Beenie liked to roll high as well. And Buddy never saw a bet that scared him.
These are just a few of the real high rollers I saw play.

Parica may have been the best money player of them all, and for big dough too. Oh yeah, the Fly is a major player! You could not out bet this guy.

beatle

Verified Member
i played rosey big long before he ever hit detroit. never said no to any press he made.
plus i was the only guy he probably ever spotted alot. buck tooth only bet it up when he had the nuts but did lose big sometimes. we all get the nuts outran some days.
cuban joey stuck it out there when he had it from robbing. flyer always bet what he could and didnt dog it. slim preston would play as well.
lots of guys bet big but only a few stayed the course of time.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
jay helfert said:
The biggest money players list has to include Cornbread Red and Jew Paul. They were playing people for ten thou a game thirty years ago.

Paul was betting his own though Jay. And what is rarely mentioned is just how good Paul played. The first time I ever went in the Rack, Paul was playing Clyde Childress on the snooker table getting only 9-7. I could not believe that Paul was a multi-millionaire and played that good. They were betting $4000 per game by the way and that night Paul won.

I think that any list of top money players should list them as to how they played for their own money and op's money. People at the top of one list would not even be on the other list.

Dennis

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
jay helfert said:

Jay, glad you mentioned Cornbread. I never got to see him play other than a video here and there but the sources say he bet skyhigh. Not that the next player would be concidered in the class of players mentioned...but I did see Jack Cooney's name <deservingly> but not James Waldon. Didnt they play that monster One Pocket set at the first DCC?

Voo~~looks like a monster, plays like a lamb