Kohler: Upscale OnePocket, opinions?

weelie

I've never seen the book, would like to know of your opinions on it.

Gerald

Verified Member
I am a newbie to the game and Upscale One-Pocket,which sits beside me now, really makes you aware of many things that you may be overlooking. I'm still not entirely through it since I refer back to it frequently, but it has definitely expanded my limited knowledge of the game--much to my pleasure.
Troy, what should be the next book I should acquire on 1 P?
I have definitely noticed that those players who are well grounded in straight pool have a distinct advantage with their ability to read the rack! But while playing them I am learning a little bit at a time, however I still find myself saying "What the Hell!" when a shot comes off that I had no idea was there and even afterwards I'm still not sure how it happened.

weelie

Thanks for the replies!

I actually do have the Eddie Robin Winning One Pocket book 1 (got it via trade with Bob Jewett), but haven't touched it for about 2 years now.

Loan your book

Loan your book

I have tried to buy that book with no luck. Would you be interested in loaning it for a week? I would secure it anyway that would make you comfortable.

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Sorry I'm taking so long to answer and I'm surprised nobody else chimed in...
Either/both of Robin's books are considered the "Bible" of 1-Pocket, if you can find them. They are both out of print and have become exorbitantly priced. Another option is from Accu-Stats -- there are many excellent 1-P tapes available from them.

Troy
Gerald said:
Troy, what should be the next book I should acquire on 1 P?

davAmundo

Verified Member
Kohler: Upscale One-Pocket

Kohler: Upscale One-Pocket

Ordered this through Amazon, got it a couple days ago. I'm slightly disappointed, but maybe I had high expectations. Whoever said earlier that this is for beginners had it pegged. There were a couple philosophical statements that were eye-opening (I don't remember the exact quote, but this one was good "If the shot that you are going to leave your opponent if you miss is easier than the shot that you are shooting, then maybe you should reconsider..." or something like that.) but no exhaustive coverage like I was hoping for. I wanted "When you are clearing this ball, it is better to leave it here vice here because it blocks your opponents banking lanes" or something 'deep' and what I got was "Here are the various types of banks you can shoot to move balls towards your pocket."

I had a copy of Winning One-Pocket, As... when I was totally enamored w/ 9-ball about 8 or 9 years ago, and then I sold it on ebay for $40 or something like that. Now, most of what I play is one-pocket, and I can't seem to get my hands on a copy of that book. Classic case of "You don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I took a look at Kohler's 1pocket book a couple years after I started playing, and there is not as much info in there as I would have liked for someone who knows something. However, for a beginner it is ok. Better, however, is his Science of Pocket Billiards and best for learning 1pocket is just what Pelican said---Accu-Stats. I prefer some of the older non-derby city onepocket tapes. These have longer races, better commentary, and better camera angles for you to view technique and not just strategy.

kollegedave

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Gerald said:
what should be the next book I should acquire on 1 P?
I have definitely noticed that those players who are well grounded in straight pool have a distinct advantage with their ability to read the rack!

Gerald, get a copy of "The 99 Critical Shots In Pool" by Ray Martin and Rosser Reeves. He shows some basic shots that are absolutely essential for 1P and 14.1. He also has many diagrams which show shots within the stack. These will open up new possibilities for you when confronted with a large cluster of balls-- especially in the early and middle game. Kisses and combinations become very important in 1P.

Good luck--

Doc

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
IMO Upscale one pocket is not worth buying. I looked at it again last week and after reading Winning one pocket and shots and moves its like a joke comparing the two.

mypocket

Verified Member
From
Minnesota
Upscale One-Pocket

Upscale One-Pocket

Yes, I agree.
After reading W1P, Upscale OnePocket is not very useful. If fact it is very misleading to anyone just starting out in 1P and of little use if you already play the game.
Eddie Robin really out-did himself with W1P & SMS. There is "SO" much detail you really get a "feel" for the shots, moves and playing the score. I can't say enough about the books or Eddie :) .
Good luck on finding W1P. If you are planning on buying one be ready to pay big $! It is well worth it!
MyPocket

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
mypocket said:
Good luck on finding W1P. If you are planning on buying one be ready to pay big $! It is well worth it!
MyPocket

Deno Andrews over on RSB probably has some copies for sale. He had some second editions, which were far superior to the first.

Doc

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Just a hello

Just a hello

mypocket said:
Yes, I agree.
After reading W1P, Upscale OnePocket is not very useful. If fact it is very misleading to anyone just starting out in 1P and of little use if you already play the game.
Eddie Robin really out-did himself with W1P & SMS. There is "SO" much detail you really get a "feel" for the shots, moves and playing the score. I can't say enough about the books or Eddie :) .
MyPocket

Wow almost fell of my chair when I saw Cloquet, Minn. That is where my wife was born and her Grandma lived and died years ago. Family name of Gordon. She left years ago for Kentucky and then Wisc. where I met and married. I am a Californian but all my relatives were born and raised in Hibbing and Chisolm. Guess there are 1 pocket players everywhere. lol.

r0ttie1

Verified Member
From
Phoenix
mypocket said:
Yes, I agree.
MyPocket

Eddie Robin has been selling the few remaining copies on E-Bay. Try there.

starfix_1

From
Lafayette, La.
Eddie Robbins...

Eddie Robbins...

I have three books of his and love them. I have not even lloked all the way through them. Anyway one of the members searched me out and asked if he could purchase them from me... you know what he offered? 300 for the set. I thought you might want to hear something funny. Michael
Troy said:
Sorry I'm taking so long to answer and I'm surprised nobody else chimed in...
Either/both of Robin's books are considered the "Bible" of 1-Pocket, if you can find them. They are both out of print and have become exorbitantly priced. Another option is from Accu-Stats -- there are many excellent 1-P tapes available from them.

Troy

Samiel

Verified Member
I found Koehler's book okay, but mainly for the beginner. It hardly showed me anything I didn't already know. As a C player, I find that running balls is my problem more than most things. I think a more in-depth coverage of theory and strategy would be more helpful to most 1-pocket players. Still, if you can't run 4 open balls, all the theory and strategy in the world can't help you.

I really don't recommend the book. I'd say Byrne's newest book "350 Moves Every Player Should Know" is more helpful for learning what's possible.

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
starfix_1 said:
I have three books of his and love them. I have not even lloked all the way through them. Anyway one of the members searched me out and asked if he could purchase them from me... you know what he offered? 300 for the set. I thought you might want to hear something funny. Michael

Must be the same guy who asked me. He wrote me and said 300, and I say hmmm ok sounds good. I thought he was talking about just w1p. Then he wrote me back and said...this is for W1P, SMS and 3c Position play right?

I just laughed and laughed over that one.