Walking with giants, boston shorty

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
In Johnston City 1970 I found myself playing Boston Shorty well into the 9 ball division.

I was broke thru the division play for almost a week, so every day I was pretty rested for my nightly matches.

Actually I learned how to bring my best game forward, fresh as a daisy and not being stoned, LOL.

I needed walking money and the nine ball division was my chance.

I had walked thru my first 3 opponents, never missing a ball, Cole Dickson being my roommate and last casuality.

If I beat my next opponent, more Whataburger money, hahaha

Don't remember who broke first but the score was one apiece in a race to eleven.

For some reason I was shaking, choking, absolutely scared to death in this match, kinda like a puppy thrown to the big dogs!

Played so bad the first 6 games I made Shorty play bad! FOR REAL!

In the 8th game of the match I ran a couple of balls and missed the nine, I was devastated, a beaten opponent in front of a full room.

Left Shorty with a little green on his nine ball shot, he missed, I missed again, he missed, I missed again, he missed, for real, I am telling the truth, we missed the nine in Johnston City 1970 3 times apiece!

I self declare that as a world record and has stood for 46 years give or take a day or two, LMAO.

It was his last miss in game 8 that saved me, while we were passing each other to and from the neutral corner he leaned and whispered (PLEASE MAKE THE F---KING NINE THIS IS EMBARRASING) for real, that is what he said.

He made me laugh in front of the crowd, only us two new the exchange of words.

My dog was gone! I made the nine and put 3 racks on him, won the match 11-9 only because of him chasing the dog out of me with his humor.

At the all around a week later he was in my corner along with Eddie Burton, Eddie let me use his cue in the match against R.Allen, 9 ball, greatest cue I ever played with.

Him and Shorty both told me to beat this prick's a--! Ronnie had some super backer and was betting in the neighbor hood of 10k on our race to eleven. Man did Shorty and Eddie give me back slaps after the match, best time of my life and Shorty and Eddie were there with me, I salute both of you right now!

Played Shorty again in Vegas, Stardust tourney in 72, one pocket division. Tournament was running behind a little and I ask Paulie if Shorty and I could play our match in the back room to speed things up and he agreed, but Shorty asked me to do away with one foot on the floor and I agreed, LOL.

I liked Shorty and didn't really care, he was kinda short but what a player and gentleman he was, he has won the all around at Johnston City I believe and won divisions at least thru the sixties, also was the top 3 cushion player in the world back in the day.

He has made his impression on me as a no doubter in the all time club of greats and I got to hang with him as we both were Walking with Giants!

James Galati

Verified Member
Shorty

Shorty

It was the early 90s. I walk into Branford Cue and Brew in Branford,Ct. It has maybe 30 Brunswicks. I look around and see this guy playing on one of the tables. Then he hops ONTO the table to play a shot. He 's Laying on the table ,playing his next shot. It was Shorty. Makes me wonder how he got around on a 5x10 with BOTH feet on the ground.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It was the early 90s. I walk into Branford Cue and Brew in Branford,Ct. It has maybe 30 Brunswicks. I look around and see this guy playing on one of the tables. Then he hops ONTO the table to play a shot. He 's Laying on the table ,playing his next shot. It was Shorty. Makes me wonder how he got around on a 5x10 with BOTH feet on the ground.

When he got warmed up, he was one of the best position players ever.

beatle

Verified Member
and anyone that was stupid enough to play him with both using the bridge all the time of course lost.

but as he got older he really started missing all kinds of easy shots so many that didnt see him in his prime would never believe he was great.

and only a few great pool players were also 3 cushion players at champ speed as well.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm sure most of you have seen that picture of Shorty at Johnston City laying on the table with cig in mouth while taking a shot. I thought I had a reference for that, but couldn't find it. If anyone has it, it's a great photo!

~Doc

chief

Verified Member
and anyone that was stupid enough to play him with both using the bridge all the time of course lost.

but as he got older he really started missing all kinds of easy shots so many that didnt see him in his prime would never believe he was great.

and only a few great pool players were also 3 cushion players at champ speed as well.

I played a lot with Shorty, both pool and billiards. One day we were playing and he missed a few easy shots and was really just not playing great and a local player asked him to play, thinking he may of had the best of it and Shorty went on to win three sets and I don't think he missed a shot

the whole time besides playing safe. Yes he played really great position. I just don't think he aged well and the last few years of his life were really just hanging around and not playing much.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
In Johnston City 1970 I found myself playing Boston Shorty well into the 9 ball division.

I was broke thru the division play for almost a week, so every day I was pretty rested for my nightly matches.

Actually I learned how to bring my best game forward, fresh as a daisy and not being stoned, LOL.

I needed walking money and the nine ball division was my chance.

I had walked thru my first 3 opponents, never missing a ball, Cole Dickson being my roommate and last casuality.

If I beat my next opponent, more Whataburger money, hahaha

Don't remember who broke first but the score was one apiece in a race to eleven.

For some reason I was shaking, choking, absolutely scared to death in this match, kinda like a puppy thrown to the big dogs!

Played so bad the first 6 games I made Shorty play bad! FOR REAL!

In the 8th game of the match I ran a couple of balls and missed the nine, I was devastated, a beaten opponent in front of a full room.

Left Shorty with a little green on his nine ball shot, he missed, I missed again, he missed, I missed again, he missed, for real, I am telling the truth, we missed the nine in Johnston City 1970 3 times apiece!

I self declare that as a world record and has stood for 46 years give or take a day or two, LMAO.

It was his last miss in game 8 that saved me, while we were passing each other to and from the neutral corner he leaned and whispered (PLEASE MAKE THE F---KING NINE THIS IS EMBARRASING) for real, that is what he said.

He made me laugh in front of the crowd, only us two new the exchange of words.

My dog was gone! I made the nine and put 3 racks on him, won the match 11-9 only because of him chasing the dog out of me with his humor.

At the all around a week later he was in my corner along with Eddie Burton, Eddie let me use his cue in the match against R.Allen, 9 ball, greatest cue I ever played with.

Him and Shorty both told me to beat this prick's a--! Ronnie had some super backer and was betting in the neighbor hood of 10k on our race to eleven. Man did Shorty and Eddie give me back slaps after the match, best time of my life and Shorty and Eddie were there with me, I salute both of you right now!

Played Shorty again in Vegas, Stardust tourney in 72, one pocket division. Tournament was running behind a little and I ask Paulie if Shorty and I could play our match in the back room to speed things up and he agreed, but Shorty asked me to do away with one foot on the floor and I agreed, LOL.

I liked Shorty and didn't really care, he was kinda short but what a player and gentleman he was, he has won the all around at Johnston City I believe and won divisions at least thru the sixties, also was the top 3 cushion player in the world back in the day.

He has made his impression on me as a no doubter in the all time club of greats and I got to hang with him as we both were Walking with Giants!

It was also neat to see History ''right before my eyes'' take place during my college years at SIU.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I have a video of Shorty and Lassiter playing the one pocket finals in 1966.
It's awful.
Lassiter looks like he has no clue, and Shorty can't make a ball straight in.
They must have played better than that but on that day , they were not so good.

Keith E.

Verified Member
I have a video of Shorty and Lassiter playing the one pocket finals in 1966.
It's awful.
Lassiter looks like he has no clue, and Shorty can't make a ball straight in.
They must have played better than that but on that day , they were not so good.

Maybe they didn't want to kill their action............ :)

Keith