how many different one-pocket breaks are there?

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
the other night muffy and i were perspiring a $50-per-game one-pocket match. (ladies don't sweat, do they?) we saw a type of one-pocket break we had never seen.

there were three breaks that i already knew about:

1) the standard break where you try to encourage balls over toward your pocket. (my coach told me to try to push at least one ball by the short rail and one by the long rail, but that's difficult. i scratch with this break so often.)

2) the break where you bank the cue ball into the side rail before hitting the stack. this is more fun, but i usually get even worse results with this one.

3) the break shown in here by jesse alred. this is the most fun, but i can hardly ever get my cue ball back to the back rail. in fact, almost never.

the break that muffy and i watched caused a big argument between the two players ... the opponent claimed it wasn't legal. (when i got home, i looked up the rules posted here and it was a legal break. i think.)

what the breaker did was aim the cue ball directly at the head ball and sort of stick it there in the pack. my flabber was gasted!

most of these breaks didn't leave the opponent much, but they weren't too effective in moving many balls toward the breaker's pocket. this might be a useful break for me until i learn to stop scratching on the traditional one. especially when you're playing for high stakes, e. g., a drink!

that new (to me) break got me wondering about other one-pocket breaks that i don't know about. how many ways to start the game are there?

education is my life,

sunny

p. s. i just read in here about a break where you hit between the 4th and 5th ball. i guess i'll check that one out too.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
sunnyone said:
the other night muffy and i were perspiring a $50-per-game one-pocket match. (ladies don't sweat, do they?) we saw a type of one-pocket break we had never seen.

there were three breaks that i already knew about:

1) the standard break where you try to encourage balls over toward your pocket. (my coach told me to try to push at least one ball by the short rail and one by the long rail, but that's difficult. i scratch with this break so often.)

2) the break where you bank the cue ball into the side rail before hitting the stack. this is more fun, but i usually get even worse results with this one.

3) the break shown in here by jesse alred. this is the most fun, but i can hardly ever get my cue ball back to the back rail. in fact, almost never.

the break that muffy and i watched caused a big argument between the two players ... the opponent claimed it wasn't legal. (when i got home, i looked up the rules posted here and it was a legal break. i think.)

what the breaker did was aim the cue ball directly at the head ball and sort of stick it there in the pack. my flabber was gasted!

most of these breaks didn't leave the opponent much, but they weren't too effective in moving many balls toward the breaker's pocket. this might be a useful break for me until i learn to stop scratching on the traditional one. especially when you're playing for high stakes, e. g., a drink!

that new (to me) break got me wondering about other one-pocket breaks that i don't know about. how many ways to start the game are there?

education is my life,

sunny

p. s. i just read in here about a break where you hit between the 4th and 5th ball. i guess i'll check that one out too.

Try this link:

http://josswest.net/break_shots.html

ETA: Click on "Break Shots".

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have heard of that break -- Eddie Robin mentions in one of his books how 'Squirrel' used that on a table he was real familiar with, that had a little dent at the spot that helped the break be highly effective (even though only one ball was coming out toward his pocket).

Yes, it is legal. Even in the BCA rules the cue ball does not have to hit a rail.

As far as your own break goes, you might try starting with the cue ball a little farther from the side rail when using the conventional break (say a half a diamond out from the side rail). Most scratches on the break are from getting an extra kiss off a ball further down along the side of the stack, not from going directly off the two head balls that you aim for on the standard break. In my opinion, you are less likely to get those extra kisses if you break further away from the side rail. You probably won't open the balls up as much either though -- that's the trade off. On the plus side, you are less likely to sell out the corner ball breaking from further off the rail too, but a lot less likely to make a ball in your own pocket on the break, too, imho.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sunnyone said:

sunny
sunnyone,

We had a player in Detroit named "Taxi Danny" that used that break. He would usually freeze the cueball to the headball or awfully close to it. For the most part, only people that you can beat use these odd breaks. Here's how he hit it.

P.S. If education is your life maybe you could capitalize your "I's" in the future as I've mentioned.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA4DCpe4EFbe3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe3JFSe4KEMO3LBKO3MDvO4NBal3OBJl1PXFV3eFSe3eQWk3eUvA1kXFV4kByK@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
We always played either the CB and one OB had to reach the rail or as with this break, two OB's . They did a lot, but not always.:)
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
We always played either the CB and one OB had to reach the rail or as with this break, two OB's . They did a lot, but not always.:)
Rod.
As far as I ever knew you only had to have either an object ball or cueball hit a rail after contact. I never heard of the rock & one object ball or two object balls. At least that's how it was played here.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
why do you guys feed into this:confused:
I feed into it for the extremely remote, infinitesimally small, minute, tiny, abysmally obscure chance that sunnyone is a fine-ass girl with a big butt who will soon be visiting Detroit and will need a place to stay, along with one-pocket lessons:) .

I also feed into it to annoy you:p :eek: :D .

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
As far as I ever knew you only had to have either an object ball or cueball hit a rail after contact. I never heard of the rock & one object ball or two object balls. At least that's how it was played here.

Dennis
Our rules here on OnePocket.org are also simply that either the cue ball or an object ball have to hit the rail after contact. It is true that the BCA rules say an object ball must hit the rail but the cue ball does not have to. However, we did not go that way on OnePocket.org, instead we went with the most universal One Pocket tradition of "either/or" -- just the way the first published rules distributed by George Jansco stated it.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
Our rules here on OnePocket.org are also simply that either the cue ball or an object ball have to hit the rail after contact. It is true that the BCA rules say an object ball must hit the rail but the cue ball does not have to. However, we did not go that way on OnePocket.org, instead we went with the most universal One Pocket tradition of "either/or" -- just the way the first published rules distributed by George Jansco stated it.

Well, I'm so old that we had no one pocket rules. I believe the rule I stated might be from straight pool. I'm not sure as I never played it. ;)
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
androd said:
Well, I'm so old that we had no one pocket rules. I believe the rule I stated might be from straight pool. I'm not sure as I never played it. ;)
Rod.
I think that's where some confusion arises with new players. But in straight pool, the CB and 2 object balls must strike a rail on the break shot. That's a good rule in 14.1, because if the players are going to 100 or 150 points, the game would take forever if they played a super safe opening rack.

Doc

RedCard

Verified Member

There is a break for short rack one satchel wherein you come up behind the rack, two rails with a knife, and often make a ball and run out. This obviates the need for discussion about what should or should not be required of the rock. If you don't make a ball you are generally pretty safe, except for all the dead banks you leave.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I experimented with a few masse breaks, and what I call the "Cigarrette break"

The masse is a slight masse, and its purpose and design were intended to increase velocity into the stack while assuring a fuller ball contact. This allows you to get more action out of the balls. break from the heeadstring in line with the side rail side of the corner pocket you break from. It turns out to be, predictably, a sucker break.

The "Cigarrette Break" happens a cigarrettes width (1/4 or 3/8) off the side rail with a little over a full tip of spin. A little firmer than the standard break, the extra spin allows the cueball to hook more after the fuller contact it makes. Careful attention to the rack, and knowledge of the reaction of the ball on the same side are required. For a skilled player it is devastating on 9ft equipment.

I finally learned some new things about that pesky corner ball, that keep it put.

t-dog

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
sunnyone,

We had a player in Detroit named "Taxi Danny" that used that break. He would usually freeze the cueball to the headball or awfully close to it. For the most part, only people that you can beat use these odd breaks. Here's how he hit it.

P.S. If education is your life maybe you could capitalize your "I's" in the future as I've mentioned.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA4DCpe4EFbe3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe3JFSe4KEMO3LBKO3MDvO4NBal3OBJl1PXFV3eFSe3eQWk3eUvA1kXFV4kByK@[/CUETABLE]

I saw Beau Runnigan Break like this multiple times in DM last week. It worked for him. I had never seen it before.