Paying The Losers Time

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
A couple of other people have posted up sportsmanship/gamblers code of ethics type questions, and I have one...

In all my years in the poolroom, myself, and probably about 90% of the people that I've gambled with, will, having beat a guy, pay his time if his half of the time is a small % of what was won, or maybe half of his time, as a courtesy...

For example, let's say the winner won $100....what I'm used to in this case, is, if the loser's half was $35, that would be kinda alot to pay, because you'd be paying a total of $70 in time, and only pocket $30 of your winnings....but if the winner won $100 and the loser's half was, say, $12-$15, that % I've always paid, and I think, gamblers-courtesy wise, it's the right thing to do....let me add that I'm only talking about if the guy that you're playing is an ok guy - if he was an a-hole to play with, that would be a different story....so I just want to see what youalls' take is on this, and what's customary in your poolroom....

I'm thinking about this now, because at the poolhall today, a guy won $60, (in a friendly match) - the guy he beat owed $6.50 for his half of the time, and the guy that won didn't want to/didn't pay it....would you guys have paid it ? - would like to get answers to this question.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Fanatic

Verified Member
In my room it's always discussed prior to the match...and it depends on the amount of the bet, the person, and the expected length of the match....the matches here rarely last long so the time is cheap ; typically loser pays time...when they know their going to battle and they know it's going to last longer than usual it's a split. However if the win is big I almost always see the winner pay the entire time as a courtesy ...but for the sake of good relations and keeping the customer......of course this doesn't apply to the undesirables.
XOXO

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
One Pocket Ghost said:
A couple of other people have posted up sportsmanship/gamblers code of ethics type questions, and I have one...

In all my years in the poolroom, myself, and probably about 90% of the people that I've gambled with, will, having beat a guy, pay his time if his half of the time is a small % of what was won, or maybe half of his time, as a courtesy...

For example, let's say the winner won $100....what I'm used to in this case, is, if the loser's half was $35, that would be too much to pay, because you'd be paying a total of $70 in time, and only pocket $30 of your winnings....but if the winner won $100 and the loser's half was, say, $12-$15, that % I've always paid, and I think, gamblers-ethics-wise, it's the right thing to do....let me add that I'm only talking about if the guy that you're playing is an ok guy - if he was an a-hole to play with, that would be a different story....so I just want to see what youalls' take is on this, and what's customary in your poolroom....

I'm thinking about this now, because at the poolhall today, a guy won $60, (in a friendly match) - the guy he beat owed $6.50 for his half of the time, and the guy that won didn't want to/didn't pay it....would you guys have paid it ? - would like to get answers to this question.

- Ghost
I always pay the losers time. But time around here is pretty cheap. 3 bucks an hour. I would NOT pay a a------ time.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Usually I will tell them, you pay your time and I will pay mine but majority of the time when I do not I pay the other persons time. I think 10-15% of your take is acceptable kicking back for time/tab. I had a guy I beat for $20 ask to pay his time of like $5, I kind of laughed and just paid it, when I gambled with him again I did beat him for much more but before hand I told him, you pay your time and I will pay mine. I think if your in a real good game, it is best to do this also, more money. :)

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Paying The Losers Time

One Pocket Ghost said:

For example, let's say the winner won $100....what I'm used to in this case, is, if the loser's half was $35, that would be too much to pay, because you'd be paying a total of $70 in time, and only pocket $30 of your winnings....but if the winner won $100 and the loser's half was, say, $12-$15, that % I've always paid, and I think, gamblers-ethics-wise, it's the right thing to do....let me add that I'm only talking about if the guy that you're playing is an ok guy - if he was an a-hole to play with, that would be a different story....so I just want to see what youalls' take is on this, and what's customary in your poolroom....

- Ghost
This should be established before the match ,to avoid any hard feelings or misunderstanding

senor

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
Usually I will tell them, you pay your time and I will pay mine but majority of the time when I do not I pay the other persons time. I think 10-15% of your take is acceptable kicking back for time/tab. I had a guy I beat for $20 ask to pay his time of like $5, I kind of laughed and just paid it, when I gambled with him again I did beat him for much more but before hand I told him, you pay your time and I will pay mine. I think if your in a real good game, it is best to do this also, more money. :)

Just my opinion, but that's short-sighted if you ask me. If you're in a real good game you should coddle your opponent, treat 'em like you would a first date, roll out the red carpet for them, so to speak.

I always offered to pay, no matter what the pot was that day. And if I didn't, I should have in retrospect. Every once in a while, the opponent would decline.

Mike

Verified Member
I would pay the time unless the guy's a jerk. If I won a few bucks playing small time I'd sometimes let the guy just pay the time even if it was less than the winnings.

Skin

Verified Member
I have always played that winner pays for the time unless it is more than the winnings. If it is, then each player pays his own...except if the loser has been totally busted. Then the winner picks up all the trime.

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

I always pay if I win, whatever it is. If the time is more than I won, I add the rest from my pocket.
Rod. < -----been a sport (sucker) ever since I've had a little cash.
PS, If the winner doesn't pay I never bitch. ( but it goes in the match up memory bank)

Last edited:

rhncue

androd said:
I always pay if I win, whatever it is. If the time is more than I won, I add the rest from my pocket.
Rod. < -----been a sport (sucker) ever since I've had a little cash.
PS, If the winner doesn't pay I never bitch. ( but it goes in the match up memory bank)

This is the way we always played, usually to our determent. I was working at room years ago and a fellow employee played very well. He worked nights so every night I would watch the counter as he matched up and we went halves on everything. We never had to pay time being employees but the opponet did. There was a player that would play two or three nights a week for 10.00 a game. With the spot we were never robbing but usually won. After about five hours one night the opponent said he was quitting even but then thought about it and played one more game which he lost. The table time was 13.00 for him which we had to pay. That is why he decided to play the extra game as if he would have quit even he had a 12.00 or so table time to pay. He actually won more money by losing instead of winning.

Dick

beatle

Verified Member
treat it like a business as that is what it is for you if you are trying to make money. for smaller games say split time and if you win a lot anyway, pay it if it is a customer that may be offended and not play next time. for bigger money you always pay as it is too steamy to make them reach. against road players make them pay win or lose.
with smaller games make them pay all the time as this way they will quit when stuck and you dont have to play all day just because you are up a few games. make that part of the spot.

most times i am stealing so i order food and drinks and pay it all for my opponent and pay the time, let him stiff me the last game and even give him something to get home on. this way the next time he is in the room you get to play him instead of some other locksmith.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

For example, let's say the winner won $100....what I'm used to in this case, is, if the loser's half was $35, that would be kinda alot to pay, because you'd be paying a total of $70 in time, and only pocket $30 of your winnings....but if the winner won $100 and the loser's half was, say, $12-$15, that % I've always paid, and I think, gamblers-courtesy wise, it's the right thing to do....let me add that I'm only talking about if the guy that you're playing is an ok guy - if he was an a-hole to play with, that would be a different story....so I just want to see what youalls' take is on this, and what's customary in your poolroom....

- Ghost

If he's a regular customer, I always pay, no matter what the percentage. The only time I won't pay is if: the guy was a dick while we were playing or, if he has won in the past and not paid my time.

Lou Figueroa

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I played a guy yesterday, won like $120 and paid his time which was like $20, not a big deal, we have played often and he is good action and no BS involved. I play the biggest whiney jerk off and he loses $20 playing cheap $10 a game banks, he asked me to pay his time which I do, last time I will play him, hate whiners. :cool:

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
My line was always "and the time" so I made the full amount bet. Since I havent played in months, if/when I return it will be changed to "for the time".:cool:

drw

Verified Member
senor said:
Just my opinion, but that's short-sighted if you ask me. If you're in a real good game you should coddle your opponent, treat 'em like you would a first date, roll out the red carpet for them, so to speak.

I always offered to pay, no matter what the pot was that day. And if I didn't, I should have in retrospect. Every once in a while, the opponent would decline.
And don't call any fouls on him either.:D

chicagomike

Verified Member
I will typically pay my own time win or lose. It can get complicated when playing multiple people regularly.

Brookeland Billy

From
Texas Hill Country
It depends on the circumstances. If I win quite a bit of $$$$ then I will pay the time to keep the peace, even if I have agreed otherwise and my opponent is not a jerk. Sometimes if I know that we are going to play "last game" then I will say lets play for the time and the bet. I will usually do this if we are even on the bet or close to even on the bet after a long session.