1/4" follow/draw shot videos!

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Those are pretty cool shots, Whitey. I have to admit that I never practice that shot, but I'll give it a go now, if nothing else but to see if I can get that kind of back spin. How many tips off the edge of the CB are you aiming?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Those are pretty cool shots, Whitey. I have to admit that I never practice that shot, but I'll give it a go now, if nothing else but to see if I can get that kind of back spin. How many tips off the edge of the CB are you aiming?

I am stroking the cb @ 5 o'clock (left handed), 7 o'clock right handed. Stay within the safe zone from miss cueing. If the cb pushes forward you are eiher not far enough outside on the cb, or your stroke speed is to slow. Use a shorter bridge around 6 inches. Stroke absolutely straight at it. Stroke straight through 1-2" only, to start off with. Your stroke speed does not have to be as high as mine, 1/2 -3/4 of that speed and you will still see results.

Stay absolutely 'relaxed'. If you miss cue it is either you have tightened up or you are to far outside on the cb.
On the making the 8 ball shot the follow through is 4-5".

To practice I place the cb off the 2nd. diamond side rail and 1st. diamond end rail. That way the ob ball comes back to you.

Do not use the stroke you see me employing in the #2 post, top video. I did that video for Dr. Dave to prove the cb can be drawn 'straight back' by letting the cue angle sideways, not a fan of this stroke. This stroke is much harder to do. I had to do this shot that way because my stroke speed is not high enough anymore to stroke straight through and still have the cb come straight back. Although its getting there because on the side pocket shape shot it almost came straight back. Yeh!

So stroke straight through and not to worry the cb will naturally angle out of the way. On both of these shots I stroked straight through.

I will try to get a good video of this at the eye level of the shooter, soon. Good luck and thanks Larry & Tobermory for trying the shot!

Oh, I use a medium hard tip, not sure how the cb will react with a softer tip. Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
birds eye view

birds eye view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qTW0Jp8LvpdXr36I0HlgnhVCNEO1LKMN/view?usp=drivesdk

Tobermory; here is a birds eye view. This is hit very clean, with little to no hop on the 14. The follow through is very short 2-3". Actually I had another video hitting the cue ball higher with almost the same effect, so you do not necessarily have to hit as low as I did. This is actually in a slow motion mode, if you can believe that! Click on the box to enlarge and use arrow to stop and start.
mr3cushion would be a fan of this short compact stroke!
I notice I have a couple of bad habits; I am swinging my arm out to the left, and not leaving the cue out. I'll work on that!
I hope this helps you guys to be successful in pulling this shot off! Let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11as86o2bs9ZlQSaKz6dBAH4pBVdycCZX/view?usp=drivesdk I was able to load the view of the higher hit on the cue ball. This view seems to make it look incredibly easy, good luck and I am pulling for you guys, for it is 'fun' to do!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y76yWAhWfUqqz26sstIY-9ap7jaj74vO/view?usp=drivesdkHere is a little higher view showing the follow through better. enjoy, Happy New Year! Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dennis, for some reason the google vids will not play. Perhaps it's some setting on my computer. The video appears, but will not animate. If everyone else can play them, then it's something on my end.

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dennis, for some reason the google vids will not play. Perhaps it's some setting on my computer. The video appears, but will not animate. If everyone else can play them, then it's something on my end.

~Doc
When I posted them we were @ 1,405 views, so amble views for those to respond. Let's see if anyone else has a problem or can view them alright. But if you send me your e-mail via a pm, then I'll send the videos to you. thanks!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
The follow through is very short 2-3".
Impressive fouette shots, Whitey! The key is to hit on or near the miscue limit so squirt makes room for the CB and tip to pass each other.

pj
chgo

(P.S. Not that it matters, but the follow through on the side pocket shot is more like 4". Don't know for sure about the other shot.)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

~Doc

i had no probem viewing the links with google chrome
nice shooting whitey...:)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys, the shots turned out fairly well. I had two goals; to show where to strike the cb, and to stroke straight through, so I am very disappointed that I chicken winged the shots. I did them again this morning and easily stroked straight through and about 1/2 the speed I used in the video. We always video during family get togethers, and I am always under time restraints to get a take and the pressure is on, thus a chicken wing stroke. I really wanted to demonstrate that one can stroke absolutely straight through without cue interference with the cb.

But, stroke straight through with about 1/2 the speed I used. Do not be concerned about length of stroke, for you can let the stroke go out if that works better for you. The main thing is do not be intimidated and relax, relax. I hope you guys can pull this shot off, it is fun!

But once you get the hang of this, you can stroke and make the cb stay right there, draw 4", 12", or 5' and on up.

In response to PJ, I measured the stroke after the point of contact of the cb and ob, thus I represented a shorter stroke. To further clarify where to hit the cb, it is not necessary true that it is at the almost miscue point, for as I pointed out and videoed a higher hit on the cb during the 12 ball shot. It just made the 12 angle a little more.

There is a point where I hit the 12 ball which is higher than the hit on the 14 ball, then there is a point lower than the hit on the 14 that makes the cb hop, and below that is the miscue point.

A hop (cue going under the cb) is alright as long as the cb does not go past the ob contact point.

It is disappointing that under the current DCC rules it states this type of shot is not a foul if you elevate the cue, very low standard or no standard at all, well it saves a referee from making a ruling and going over to a table.

I was watching Shane play Strickland and Shane elevated (masse' draw) on this type of shot and the cue ball obviously went forward (5") beyond the ob contact point, and Earl called a foul, Shane sat down, no questions asked. Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
VERY nice stroke Whitey! You know exactly the correct technique, to get the maximum effect on the CB!

A little tip, as you practice this shot or any force-draw or follow, try to reduce the cue-tip speed to even get a more pure action on the CB!

Remember: "Minimize the tip speed to a certain point to maximize the effect on the CB!" You'll learn thew correct, marriage of both, with notable difference in the results.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
VERY nice stroke Whitey! You know exactly the correct technique, to get the maximum effect on the CB!

A little tip, as you practice this shot or any force-draw or follow, try to reduce the cue-tip speed to even get a more pure action on the CB!

Remember: "Minimize the tip speed to a certain point to maximize the effect on the CB!" You'll learn thew correct, marriage of both, with notable difference in the results.
Thanks mr3cushion for the compliment, highly appreciated coming from a pure cueist as your self. I thought you would like the short concise stroke, that I know you are a proponent of.
And yes, this morning I reduced the stroke speed by half and had great results just by relaxing and concentrating on a pure stroke.
Thanks for supporting with your threads on these shots! Happy New Year! Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks mr3cushion for the compliment, highly appreciated coming from a pure cueist as your self. I thought you would like the short concise stroke, that I know you are a proponent of.
And yes, this morning I reduced the stroke speed by half and had great results just by relaxing and concentrating on a pure stroke.
Thanks for supporting with your threads on these shots! Happy New Year! Whitey

Same to you and your family Whitey!