No Cap

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
This event, which started as a nice idea to get together and socialize over some 1P, now seems to be turning into a Hippie love-in.:D No cap, "so no one would be excluded"? Should we all attend fairness training?:heh

Jokes aside, without a cap this event will soon grow beyond a reasonable capacity. For example, it's still 3 months off and there are at least 4-5 guys in my general area who have not even heard about the event yet, and may want to play. I'm sure there are others in different areas as well. There will also be interlopers.

Even if the event were "only" 48 players, that means that with 12 tables we'd have 4 flights to play to even get through the first 2 rounds. That's not going to be possible on Friday night.

And forget friendly action. None of the 12 tables will be available from Friday night until Sunday. It's starting to sound like the DCC.;)

IMO the guys who are flying in or driving long distances ought to have priority. Guys flying in can't get out of their plane reservations, so they should be given a guarantee.

On the other hand most of the guys may just want to participate, and are excited about a big crowd get-together. So they may feel that "the more the merrier".:)

~Doc

Thanks for your common sense

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I've started a poll thread on cap issue just to get an objective reference for decision making on this issue. I mean it as a tool only. This may not constitute a decision in itself and I am not trying to step on toes. I believe it to be a fair means to evaluate pulse of members.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
We could use the 10 foot table as an additional table if needed and it is possible that a Gold Crown table could be put into use. Right now it is up for sale with no buyers at this time.

Regardless of cap or no cap, the guys flying in from out of town should have priority over those local, including me.

Regardless, if we have a 32 man cap or not, I think you should play one round of matches on Friday night if the players are there that are drawn to play each other.

In summary, often times, there are many people who say they want to play in an event but for whatever reason, when it comes time to put their entry fee up, they sometimes have other things to do. When I commit, I commit but sometimes even with the best of intentions, some people have emergencies, after all, most of us aren't getting any younger, except for a few of you champions.

I bow to prudent judgment whatever that might happen to be. There are also about twenty-something, 7 foot Diamond pool tables for those with weak eyes like mine. :heh

JoeyA

i understand both perspectives.

my point has been well made about preference for a 32 man event.

if we get about half the first round games in friday evening, race to two on both sides is sketchy but doable up to 48 in my estimation (made up a 48 - 64 bracket today and tinkered around with what rounds would need to be played and approximately when on both days - both saturday and sunday will have to go very late). a few of the tables would be open later on saturday and most of sunday.

the fact that we only have 12 instead of 15 tables confounds things significantly....(and most likely excludes any kind of first round - group/round robin option format to determine winners/losers brackets - but will leave that determination to cory)

it also remains to be seen how many members actually get in now that dave is taking entries as well....

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
As I am not familiar with all of the local members other than you, Fireman KC, Richard S, and JTom, could you help me identify who any others on the list might be classified as local?

I am having trouble navigating the multiple threads and posts for the list and other information so when I find it, I will post the list under the Coordinating Thread if that is ok with you and everyone else.

JoeyA

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I will have time late tonight to fully map out how things would work with a round robin, 12 tables, and 48 players. I do believe that 48 will be the highest we can reasonably go. I think that I will conclude that we can do 48 using the round robin and two single elimination brackets approach, with some matches starting on Friday night.

The reason that is faster than double-elimination is twofold. First, fewer matches overall. Second, we use a higher percentage of the tables for a longer time. With DE, you often get stuck not because you don't have a table, but because you're waiting for one match to finish.

People draw into the RR groupings using cards. I will build the RR groupings so that it's pre-determined where people will go into the single elimination brackets based on how they finish in the groupings. That way, the single elimination brackets can start *before* all of the round robin matches are done.

Cory

WARNING: To break ties, everyone will have to jot down the score of *each game* during the RR phase. I can build a scorecard that makes that obvious and easy, but you'll still have to write it down. Otherwise, the TD will flip a coin to make the determination -- playing a tiebreak due to not writing stuff down would slow things down for everyone else.

Tie break order:
1. Most wins
2. Lowest opponent ball count (You can't use fewest losses, because two people with the same number of wins will have the same number of losses)
4. Flip a coin or lag -- This only matters as between second and third because it determines which bracket a person goes into.

Here's an example I worked up for 6 players in each grouping, where each player plays *4* other players in their group. A group could play up to three matches at once, so there would basically be 100% table usage from the start to the end of the round robin stage. A grouping would entail 24 games on about 2.5 tables on average (some mix of waiting for a table and waiting for a match to finish). Assuming 30 minutes per game average, that should be a total of 12 play-hours divided by 2.5 tables = 5 hours. That means that by noon on Saturday (assuming half the RR is done on Friday), single-elim matches should have started and we would have a 16-player bracket and a 16-32 player bracket depending on on turnout.

Attachments

• RR grouping example.jpg
    RR grouping example.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: