Charleston, SC

davAmundo

Verified Member
Hi Everybody. This is my first post. I'm in the Navy down here in sunny Chuck-town. I moved here after my last tour in Albany, NY (where I had the distinct pleasure of having Ryan McCreesh relieve me of some of my cash about 5 years ago...) I expected there would be more pool halls and places to get big table action than there are. Lot's of bar pool, league play, etc.

There are 3 Player's Place pool halls, one on Ashley Phosphate, one on Sam Rittenberg (I think), and one in Mt. Pleasant, not-a-one of them overflowing w/ action. Most of the good king-size action/9-ball/1-hole occurs at a private individual's house, where he has two very nice, VERY TIGHT, GCII's w/ Simonis in a pole-barn in the back of his house. Most of the good players in Charleston find their way into 'Rusty's Place' at some time, provide they get the invite.

You won't find a better bunch of individuals to pass the time with anywhere and there is usually some sort of game or mini-tournie going on to watch or participate in, if you think you can hang around.

If anyone lives in this neck of the woods, or wants to meet halfway for some relatively friendly one-pocket (no $100 a game or anything, but I'll let ya take a shot at what I have...) send me a ping.

Carolina Kid

I've been gone from SC for a long time, but back in the day a guy named Eldridge Tucker ran a pool room in Charleston and played one-pocket about as good as anybody in the Southeast. He wore coke-bottle glasses and looked like he couldn't play a lick, but a lot of road players left empty-handed when they tested that theory.
Good luck finding some action in the Holy City--still one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.
Carolina Kid

davAmundo

Verified Member
Big Pool Hall in the Sky

Big Pool Hall in the Sky

CK,

It saddens me to say that Tucker passed away in the last couple years. I never got to see him play, but I have heard stories from people in the know that he was a pretty straight shooter. There is still a billiard supply store called 'Tucker's' run by some of his family members.

Charleston is beautiful, but I'm a Northerner, so everything I say will be skewed by the fact that there is still a war being fought down here...hehe

davAmundo

Carolina Kid

Tucker

Tucker

Davamundo:
Sorry to hear about Eldridge, but based on my calculations he would have been in his late 70s or early 80s--pretty long life for a pool player! I last saw him play in Columbia around 1968--at the Palace on Gervais Street, a high-action joint in those days. Guys like Bill Kress, Sleepy Bob, Bobby Wallins (Bobby the Greek or Air Force Bob), Carolina Dave, Winnsboro--either played there or travelled through there.
I went to college with Eldridge's younger brother Danny--I wonder if he's involved in the business?
BTW, Danny moved the balls pretty good himself--I never could do anything with him at one-pocket.
As for being a Northerner in Charleston and the ever-present "war"--I can't remember where I heard this, but it's true: The South has produced more history than it can consume! Keep your sense of humor and you'll be fine--I would suggest you refrain from reminding the locals how much better things were "Up North" :)

Carolina Kid

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
davAmundo said:
CK,

Charleston is beautiful, but I'm a Northerner, so everything I say will be skewed by the fact that there is still a war being fought down here...hehe

davAmundo

That's why we have per capita the best pool players down here! Keep in mind that Reconstruction is still being foisted upon us, and we will continue to resist it. "The South shall rise again!"

Doc