Philadelphia style One Pocket

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Yes, I think it was conceived there, maybe by guys like Jimmy Fusco to put a little One Pocket in to their 9-ball.

The first time I spoke with The Beard, when I told him that I am from Philly, he let me know that back pocket nine ball originated here.

He actually did tell me who started it but I didn't know the name (so it couldn't have been Jimmy)

Fwiw - I played several hours of Philly One Pocket today :) :). Heh. Matched up with 3 guys and ended with one loss and two wins :). Cheap sets.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Yes, I think it was conceived there, maybe by guys like Jimmy Fusco to put a little One Pocket in to their 9-ball.

As I understand it, the game was invented by Pete Fusco as a way to trap 9-ball players with more offensive firepower, who assumed it would be more of a run-out game than a moving game.

Action & hustling aside, the game is a good transition game for rotation players who want to get their feet wet with one pocket. But make no mistake, one pocket is a much more complex and satisfying game. BP9 was and is a gimmick game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
As I understand it, the game was invented by Pete Fusco as a way to trap 9-ball players with more offensive firepower, who assumed it would be more of a run-out game than a moving game.

Action & hustling aside, the game is a good transition game for rotation players who want to get their feet wet with one pocket. But make no mistake, one pocket is a much more complex and satisfying game. BP9 was and is a gimmick game.

Thanks for chiming in -- I figured you would know!!

I believe Accustats has one Back Pocket 9-ball tournament in their library for anyone who is interested.
1995 Back Pocket Championship

I believe at a recent DCC I watched some in the action room.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
OK, how do you play Back Pocket 9-Ball?

As far as I know, just like regular 9-ball except that when it comes to making the 9-ball, each player has one of the back corner pockets (up at the head of the table -- opposite from where your pockets would be for One Pocket). The rules also cover something about the break in the event that the 9 drops on the break I believe.

I am pretty sure Oscar Dominguez was one of the players involved at last year's DCC

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There are a number of rules which pertain to BP Nine Ball alone. One of which is that a player is not allowed to shoot directly at the nine ball at any time when there are other balls on the table. Ex. knock the nine ball toward your pocket without having hit the lowest ball first. This is also the case when shooting a push-out.

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

There are a number of rules which pertain to BP Nine Ball alone. One of which is that a player is not allowed to shoot directly at the nine ball at any time when there are other balls on the table. Ex. knock the nine ball toward your pocket without having hit the lowest ball first. This is also the case when shooting a push-out.

Tom

Correct, Tom. If the 9 is moved without it being a good hit (lowest ball first) then the other person gets to put the 9 back where they think it was.

Also- If the 9 goes on the break it gets spotted.

The most common spot given in back pocket 9 ball is a front to a back. Here the person getting the spot has to shoot to a front (pocket near the rack) and the person giving the weight gets a back pocket. Also- in this case the players must always shoot to opposite corners. (So, if you have the front left pocket, I have the back right). Usually in this game, players switch sides (left/right) after each game.

It is actually a fun game.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
The "philadelphia style" was coined by jimmy fusco and grady as a promotional additive to the "legends of one pocket" tournaments held here in philly.

As far as philly style of play, well,years ago it was a squeeze game similar to chicago while the fuscos, peter rabbit, joe veasey, Patcheye and a hand full of "unknown"one pocket killers still loomed in the area.
Most all of them have retired or passed on.
In the last decade or so most players around here adopted a conservative to mildly aggressive style of play , always looking to put pressure on the opponent , 2 way shots, protect the balls on thier side, pick your spots and score when the risk is lowest of a sell out. Not alot of looking for the "8 and outs" but just solid, senseable play.
Dont see the "wedge" to often nowadays.

Back pocket 9 is a great game, invented ( by pete fusco) in philly and still played in our room everyday.
Its was made to get weaker players to the table who wouldnt/couldnt play even and/or wanted to much weight playing runout, or just a good player who maybe didnt move as well on the bare ball. Also may have coresponded with the popular adaptation of the "express" rules over "roll out" 9 ball.
It can be handicapped a hundred different ways with different pocket configurations, spotting the 9 different places after the break ,,,,ect.
5 to a back is about a tough a game you would ever want to give a player that can run a rack.
A top notch player can run out to the back or hang it in his hole almost as frequently as just straight run out.

I missed the golden years of the game in this area.:(
Philly used to be a very strong pool town with Alot of 100 ball runners everywhere and a few bonified world class players.