The Golden Cue (South El Monte, CA)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
That's the place, PJ. Although it looks peculiar in the day time.:D I wonder when the poolroom had to throw in the towel?

Where are you getting these great pictures? Are you the king of the L.A. street cams?;)

~Doc
Google Maps (street view) + the [PrntScr] key (+ cropping out the telltale bits). Easy for anybody to do.

pj
chgo

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Google Maps (street view) + the [PrntScr] key (+ cropping out the telltale bits). Easy for anybody to do.

pj
chgo

That thing is something. I just took a tour with that and it's so good it's eerie. I looked over at my brother's house and rotated it right into the carport and could look at some junk he had in there and could have read the plates on his vehicles except they had them obscured. A couple of shots on Chicago. I remember The Beard had told me he lived on W 27th. You can just go up any street sort of like you are in a slow automobile and rotate it to look at any place you want to. The nuts ....

baby huey

Verified Member
To: John and Doc, I was a mainstay at 6th and Manhattan during the "Golden Years of Pool." Back then gas was 30 cents/gallon and we used to make the rounds up to Hollywood , West LA and at night to Tournament Billiards or to Norwalk (Charlie Milikens) or to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower. What a time for characters and action. The room at 6th street had all the action one could want. Right next door was a Recording Studio and Wolfman Jack used to come over for lunch every day. Phil Specter was a regular along with his bodyguard George who used to play straight pool for $20/game 100 points two to three times per week. Gypsies played out of there and they had a golf game that got very big and the money would be stacked on the table. No hickies but the games could get to thousands counting sidebets. I once played a game for about $4000 and had $750 of the bet. It was Brian's and my last money. We won and the next game was for $200 and that's how it went every day. Doc, the pocked marked guy you were referring to was a finance guy named Bill Burgess out of Texas and yes he was a $5 one pocket player. He got hustled on the golf course by Ronnie Allen and Ronnie lost some serious money. Bill played almost scratch golf. Of course Ronnie gave him a check and you can figure out the rest of the story. Lou was our houseman and he was a good guy for pool players. He was very generous and steered road players around. He is/was a good friend of mine and is now in a Nursing Home in Riverside. I played Keith Thompson (young squirrel) two weeks after he won in Johnson City and back in those someone could be undercover forever. Anyway I got him stuck and broke him and in the interium found out who he was and when he came back I had to ask for a spot. You guys are bringing back great memories. keep it up.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I remember The Beard had told me he lived on W 27th.
Your pics are a few miles too far west. Now that Freddy's gone I suppose it's OK to show his house - I think this is it at 27th & Canal in the Bridgeport neighborhood. Bridgeport is exactly the kind of neighborhood you'd expect Freddy to be from (and never leave).

pj
chgo

View attachment 95030

Attachments

• Beard's House.jpg
    Beard's House.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
To: John and Doc, I was a mainstay at 6th and Manhattan during the "Golden Years of Pool." Back then gas was 30 cents/gallon and we used to make the rounds up to Hollywood , West LA and at night to Tournament Billiards or to Norwalk (Charlie Milikens) or to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower. What a time for characters and action. The room at 6th street had all the action one could want. Right next door was a Recording Studio and Wolfman Jack used to come over for lunch every day. Phil Specter was a regular along with his bodyguard George who used to play straight pool for $20/game 100 points two to three times per week. Gypsies played out of there and they had a golf game that got very big and the money would be stacked on the table. No hickies but the games could get to thousands counting sidebets. I once played a game for about $4000 and had $750 of the bet. It was Brian's and my last money. We won and the next game was for $200 and that's how it went every day. Doc, the pocked marked guy you were referring to was a finance guy named Bill Burgess out of Texas and yes he was a $5 one pocket player. He got hustled on the golf course by Ronnie Allen and Ronnie lost some serious money. Bill played almost scratch golf. Of course Ronnie gave him a check and you can figure out the rest of the story. Lou was our houseman and he was a good guy for pool players. He was very generous and steered road players around. He is/was a good friend of mine and is now in a Nursing Home in Riverside. I played Keith Thompson (young squirrel) two weeks after he won in Johnson City and back in those someone could be undercover forever. Anyway I got him stuck and broke him and in the interium found out who he was and when he came back I had to ask for a spot. You guys are bringing back great memories. keep it up.

Great information, Jerry! Glad to learn both Bill Burgess's and Lou's names. Bill wanted me to learn one-pocket, but he wouldn't play me for free. I think we played $2 per game. He may have given me a little spot, but I don't think so.:rolleyes: That was in '68/'69.

And Lou was a great guy, with a warm personality and sense of humor. He used to give my girlfriend 50-2 in straight pool, but she didn't win that often. I don't suppose Lou goes online? Otherwise, if you P.M. me his full name and address, I'll send him a greeting and a picture or two from that time. I hope he's not too infirm. Did he eventually get a "straight" job? Actually I recall that he may have worked at another job then too.

I'd forgotten that they had a snooker table at Mr. Pockets. It must have been in the back, or perhaps brought in after my time there. We usually played up front, or around the bar. I remember that the bar area was raised, and had several tables that overlooked the pool room. Seems like they had 10-15 tables.

Keith Thompson has posted a couple of times here on the site. We P.M.'d a few times about something or other. He still plays a little. He lives in Texas between Houston and the Louisiana border.

~Doc

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Third Saturday of the month One Pocket Tournament results, 10/18/14.

Attachments

• golden cue one pocket.jpg
    golden cue one pocket.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1

Wayne

Verified Member
Is that Kenny Hoshide who won?

Why are 9-Ball spots listed on the left?

pj
chgo

Yes Kenny Hoshide won. He beat me to put me on the losers side and then beat me worse in the finals. He kept splitting the pocket on all of his banks; one rail, two rail and three rail. Tough to fade.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Looks like they use the same board for 9 ball tournaments and leave the info on there.

It says "Do not erase" on the side.
Yeah, I noticed that a few minutes after asking the question (the usual order of things these days). :)

pj
chgo

keoneyo

Verified Member
Yes Kenny Hoshide won. He beat me to put me on the losers side and then beat me worse in the finals. He kept splitting the pocket on all of his banks; one rail, two rail and three rail. Tough to fade.

Well he does own the joint. How are the pockets there? I know Tall Paul but who is Danny (who beat Santos)?