McGoorty

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Does anyone recall running into the legendary Danny McGoorty? He died in 1970, and Robert Byrne wrote a fascinating book about the billiard/pool hustler. His early days were spent in Chicago, but then he later resided in San Francisco, where he played at Graney's (which was to become Cochran's) and the 924 Club (which became the Palace).

Our Chicago members are probably too young to have known McGoorty, but I'm wondering if some of our older S.F. guys might remember him.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Does anyone recall running into the legendary Danny McGoorty? He died in 1970, and Robert Byrne wrote a fascinating book about the billiard/pool hustler. His early days were spent in Chicago, but then he later resided in San Francisco, where he played at Graney's (which was to become Cochran's) and the 924 Club (which became the Palace).

Our Chicago members are probably too young to have known McGoorty, but I'm wondering if some of our older S.F. guys might remember him.

Doc

Doc,

I heard about Danny, but don't think I ever met him. Wasn't he more of a smart hustler than a great player ? JMO-ICBW.

Dick

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
Doc, I heard about Danny, but don't think I ever met him. Wasn't he more of a smart hustler than a great player ? JMO-ICBW.
Yes, I believe that's true. His original expertise was in billiards; however when 3C started dying out in the 50's he switched to pool. He was a good one-pocket player, and played the other pool games as well.

As soon as Freddy is rested up enough from the DCC, he might be able to add some stories floating around from McGoorty's earlier Chicago days.

Grady, Suki and some of the S.F. boys must have seen McGoorty around Cochrans & Palace in the 60's.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ask Grady

Ask Grady

gulfportdoc said:
Yes, I believe that's true. His original expertise was in billiards; however when 3C started dying out in the 50's he switched to pool. He was a good one-pocket player, and played the other pool games as well.

As soon as Freddy is rested up enough from the DCC, he might be able to add some stories floating around from McGoorty's earlier Chicago days.

Grady, Suki and some of the S.F. boys must have seen McGoorty around Cochrans & Palace in the 60's.

Doc

Ask Grady. He knew him well. He was gone from Chicago when I was coming up.

the Beard

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
You bet I remember

You bet I remember

gulfportdoc said:

Doc

I met Dan as a teenager in about 1956-57 or the original Palace on Ellis St.
He was quite a gentleman, spiffy dresser and a great player. He taught me a lot about 1p at an early age which of course I have now forgot.
I never paid attention a lot to stories and happenings in those days(wish I had ) but I do remember when a big mouth guy came through looking for action and Dan played him and quietly beat him and about ran him out of town. Later found out if was at the time the future Minnesota Fats.
Dan was a good old irishman.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks, Suki. I guess McGoorty was a pretty strong player right up until the last couple years of his life. He died at 69 years old in 1970 of lung cancer.

Doc