BUGS POCKET IS BY HIS LEFT ARM YOU DONT SEE IT IN THE PIC
bugs1.jpg

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Both need one? Are you sure? :heh

Tough spot. I got nuthin' but a crazy 5-railer off a long rail first hit on the 15 to near opponent's pocket (short, long, long, short, long.) At least that's the way it was in the dream.

5 rail what? You aren't planning on plucking the 15 out and banking it 5 rails are you?

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Well, this is a tight spot for sure. I would try 1 of 2 things, depending on the table/cloth.

1. Make the ball with lots of high english, hitting the rail slightly before the ball, which will grab and spin against the rail to the other side, hopefully. (high karate shot)

2. Make the ball the same way, off the rail, but with lots of inside english to have it spin back down table, 4 rails to the bottom rail. I don't see how not to leave some kind of bank however.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Both need one? Are you sure? :heh

Tough spot. I got nuthin' but a crazy 5-railer off a long rail first hit on the 15 to near opponent's pocket (short, long, long, short, long.) At least that's the way it was in the dream.

5 rail what? You aren't planning on plucking the 15 out and banking it 5 rails are you?

i think this is the gist of what john had in mind
crazyjohn.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
personally i think the shot is to make the ball and leave him in the jaws of the pocket or better frozen to the head rail
let him shoot the spot shot
i dont think he will shoot it....:eek:
its difficult even for the pros
he will probably play safe from there
jmho
icbw

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
john you were on to something suggesting a 5 railer....:D
thats what bugs shot .....:eek:
but he took a different route....:sorry
bugs2.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
i think this is the gist of what john had in mind
View attachment 14321

Thanks, Larry, that's not just the gist, it's exactly the way I did it in the dream. (I just saw a guy at the XPC try the same thing -- last ball on the table as here -- but he forgot to draw his ball, went too long and left a straightback that cost him the game against Josh Roberts.)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Thanks, Larry, that's not just the gist, it's exactly the way I did it in the dream. (I just saw a guy at the XPC try the same thing -- last ball on the table as here -- but he forgot to draw his ball, went too long and left a straightback that cost him the game against Josh Roberts.)

john since you saw someone do it real time
I don't think you can get to the last long rail
do you??

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I thought bugs shot was a novel way to solve this positional situation
BUT
he could have scratched in the side and in his own pocket
to me why take the risk
make the ball
let your opponent shoot if he wants
your comments are always appreciated...:)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I thought bugs shot was a novel way to solve this positional situation
BUT
he could have scratched in the side and in his own pocket
to me why take the risk
make the ball
let your opponent shoot if he wants
your comments are always appreciated...:)

Bugs shot the correct shot Larry.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Larry, your shot by lagging to the pocket is your best chance of winning. You were correct when you said that even top players won't like shooting from the pocket, and they won't. I have played from this position several times and also have watched smart players play the same position and your shot was the shot that was chosen. Bugs decided to play another option and didn't like the results. Good choice Larry.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The end of this game could have been the subject of many endgame scenarios. After Daulton played this safety with one ball left on the table the game went an unbelievable 15 more shots:eek:.

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
john since you saw someone do it real time
I don't think you can get to the last long rail
do you??

Drawing whitey brings it shorter, so every foot of movement off the 3rd rai lbrings it closer to the 5th rail than if it's played too long. You may be right, however, that it would come a little short of the 5th rail, but enough past center table to make any straightback difficult or impossible (but might leave a good angle for a longrail first 2-rail.)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
When the balls stopped rolling leaving Bugs this shot Grady said to co-commentator Dennis Hatch "You might think I'm crazy but I'd consider taking a scratch here"

14 shots later the game ended.

br1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, your shot by lagging to the pocket is your best chance of winning. You were correct when you said that even top players won't like shooting from the pocket, and they won't. I have played from this position several times and also have watched smart players play the same position and your shot was the shot that was chosen. Bugs decided to play another option and didn't like the results. Good choice Larry.

Dr. Bill

thanks Dr. Bill
always appreciate your advice and comments...:)