Different Shot

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I was playing a good player last week and he made this shot against me.
I've played many years and had never seen this,
I thought I would post it, because maybe others had not either.
Rod.

Attachments

• new shot.jpg
    new shot.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I played Raphael Martinez a while back in Dallas and I believe he shot that exact shot against me. By the way, he hit it really good, but didn't make it.

Dr. Bill

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I've never seen it before --> but it is now in the vault... thanks for sharing.

My guess is they hit it pretty close to center ball with the cue ball. Draw, follow, or right would hurt the cue ball line.

Dud

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I suspect it takes a beautifully pure thin hit for the cue ball to turn the corner short-rail-first at the scoring end of the table, which is what makes this shot work. Rafael and other three-cushion billiard players would be the right candidates to shoot this shot.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Great shot

Great shot

If he hits a quarter of the ball he has to have a touch of bottom and a little right to get the cue back? Was this shot played on a diamond or gold crown? Just trying to learn some of the mechanic of a four rail position shot. Since playing the ghost a couple of times this would be something I would expect from him too...

B

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
That's what I thought to John but a thicker hit on the object ball doesn't give the correct path for the bank.

I tried it later and it works well with a little inside (left). I got it very close twice using inside and quit practicing. If it works don't fix it. :D
Rod.
P.S. The inside stretches the CB on the second rail and prevents scratching or going across the table.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I tried it later and it works well with a little inside (left). I got it very close twice using inside and quit practicing. If it works don't fix it. :D
Rod.
P.S. The inside stretches the CB on the second rail and prevents scratching or going across the table.

...and hit real thin, correct?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Nice shot. I will play with it today and see if it has any merit. However I doubt I will ever try it in a match that's worth anything. For me shots like this never seem to work when you really need them.

bernie p

Verified Member
Rod.

I liked the look of this shot so I hit it a dozen times or so.

With the 5 ball being on the rail or close, a cue ball hit with any top had a tendency to shorten up and track to your opponents pocket, or hit the long left rail.

I agree with Rod that a touch of hold up (left) is also need for the same reason.

So for me, hitting with one tip of inside at 9.00 oclock seems to work best but the results were very erratic, to the point where I would not put it in my "arsenal".

I can definitely see Rafael playing this type of shot, but to be honest, he is one of the few top (if not the only) pro that regularly plays this type of "unexpected" shot...... and the results are often not pretty.:eek:

Thanks.

Bernie.

P.S. I just saw Hendy's comment..."I believe it is a double kiss with low right. Maybe Freddy will chime in"

I tried this double kiss shot many times and believe John is correct. With a little practice the path of the 5 ball is fairly predictable, but the fullness of the hit with the cue ball is very touchy.....a slight miscalculation, either too full or not full enough results in a variety of unintended outcomes, typically not good.

This is a common 3 cushion shot when both object balls are at the other end of table away from your cue ball, with little chance to score otherwise.

Either way, a great shot......if you can execute it.;)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
So for me, hitting with one tip of inside at 9.00 oclock seems to work best but the results were very erratic, to the point where I would not put it in my "arsenal".

I can definitely see Rafael playing this type of shot, but to be honest, he is one of the few top (if not the only) pro that regularly plays this type of "unexpected" shot...... and the results are often not pretty.:eek:

Thanks.

Bernie.

Bern, we are in agreement here, as is often the case...I like and shoot a lot of creative/aggressive shots, but this one is waay, waay, too low percentage - I'd pay any opponent of mine to shoot it - including any pro player

I felt this way the minute I saw the thread/shot, but I didn't post my opinion at that time because I didn't want to be impolite:) and dis Rod's shot....now, with all that said...

It's not the shot itself, it's the distance of the cueball to the object ball that makes this shot, as displayed, a total no-go/fuggedabout it....but on the other hand, if the cueball were one foot away from the object ball instead, where your chances of getting that very good hit that you need are significantly better - then, I do think it could be a viable, creative, aggressive shot to shoot.

- Ghost

PS, And as the layout is displayed, of course you'd need to be lefthanded to comfortably shoot it with the cueball moved up to just a foot away as I suggested...or righthanded, if the shot was formulated for the other side of the table.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I liked the look of this shot so I hit it a dozen times or so.

With the 5 ball being on the rail or close, a cue ball hit with any top had a tendency to shorten up and track to your opponents pocket, or hit the long left rail.

I agree with Rod that a touch of hold up (left) is also need for the same reason.

Thanks.

Bernie.

P.S. I just saw Hendy's comment..."I believe it is a double kiss with low right. Maybe Freddy will chime in"

I tried this double kiss shot many times and believe John is correct. With a little practice the path of the 5 ball is fairly predictable, but the fullness of the hit with the cue ball is very touchy.....a slight miscalculation, either too full or not full enough results in a variety of unintended outcomes, typically not good.

This is a common 3 cushion shot when both object balls are at the other end of table away from your cue ball, with little chance to score otherwise.

Either way, a great shot......if you can execute it.;)

I agree Bern, the risk/reward ratio on this shot, is WAY heavy on the 'risk' side...Even if it were a foot more to the left..I don't think I'd mess with it..(for over $1 a game)..;)...I also think the double kiss method, would be legal grounds for a stakehorse, to shoot his player in the head ! :cool:

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I didn't post my opinion at that time because I didn't want to be impolite:) and dis Rod's shot....now, with all that said...

- Ghost

You never have to worry about hurting my feelers, they're numb with old age.

Actually it's not my shot.
My opponent needed three, made the shot and got out. Yes I was impressed. I had pretty good luck practicing it and being a Gofer, I'll probably shoot it when it comes up. :D
Rod.
P.S. As I tell the Missus "We're made of money". So I can afford to lose a game, think how good I'll feel if it goes in, on someone like me who's never seen it.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

My opponent needed three, made the shot and got out. Yes I was impressed. I had pretty good luck practicing it and being a Gofer, I'll probably shoot it when it comes up. :D
Rod.
P.S. As I tell the Missus "We're made of money". So I can afford to lose a game, think how good I'll feel if it goes in, on someone like me who's never seen it.

thanks for posting it. certainly going in my top secret binder.....:eek:

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
I believe it is a double kiss with low right. Maybe Freddy will chime in.

I think John is correct. At that distance, pretty tough shot. If closer, maybe hit stun with half tip right. Both balls head down a good tangent line if hit good.

This looks like it was hit pretty hard to get that much cb travel, making it an even harder shot.

But, I agree, I like the shot better in a low stakes game.:eek:

...with this edge to edge alignment...shoot straight at it. should act close to this layout.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

My opponent needed three, made the shot and got out. Yes I was impressed.
I had pretty good luck practicing it and being a Gofer, I'll probably shoot it when it comes up. :D
Rod.

Rod, I was meaning to ask before, and forgot...you said it was a good player )would have to be) that made this shot on you - I was wondering who it was - if it was a name that I know?...if you don't want to say for some reason or want to pm me the name, that's fine too.

Thanks, Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I was playing a good player last week and he made this shot against me.
I've played many years and had never seen this,
I thought I would post it, because maybe others had not either.
Rod.

Rod,

I played today for the 1st time in a week and I completely forgot to try this shot:mad:. I meant to but I didn't. I may play tomorrow and I promise to shoot it then, if I play. I already know the double-kiss with the cueball nearer the side-rail (and nearer the object ball) but I wanted to try to actually bank the ball in like you showed.

Dennis

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
I think John is correct. At that distance, pretty tough shot. If closer, maybe hit stun with half tip right. Both balls head down a good tangent line if hit good.

This looks like it was hit pretty hard to get that much cb travel, making it an even harder shot.

But, I agree, I like the shot better in a low stakes game.:eek:

...with this edge to edge alignment...shoot straight at it. should act close to this layout.

Tried this recently. Moved cb on same line up even with side pocket. Hit with center right stun. Shot it 5 times. Made it twice, left it in vicinity 2 times,missed the dbl kiss once-just started a bank. Problem was cb didn't make it back up table to get behind other 3 balls. Didn't get cb beyond center table.

Maybe low right would help the cb travel, as John has suggested.

The situation would have to be very right to shoot it for other than for yucks.