Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
First game of the match. Owen makes a great break, leaving Nevel the following layout. What did Nevel do? What would YOU do? BTW, he can't see all of the 14...~Doc

Owen Nevel 1.jpg

Owen Nevel 2.jpg

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I don't know about Nevel , he's very aggressive.

I don't know about Nevel , he's very aggressive.

But me? I'm kicking to hit the outside of the 15 ( umbrella shot) off the top rail. Looks easy because it's on line to go in the pocket if the 15 wasn't there. Brush the 15 and float softly off the side rail behind the ball nearest his pocket:heh

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

I think I would draw off on the 11 down under the 4. Not easy but possible IMO.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
That's above my pay grade. Here's what I might try.

pj
chgo

View attachment 43219

PJ, I think you have the right idea here. Simple to execute and with the ten within a foot or so of your pocket, you've got something working. The only thing I would wish to do differently would be to hide behind the five ball. Hitting the five allows Gabe to see that ten ball. Can't let that happen. Take the foul.

Tom

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Going off the 11 ball is NO big deal, the "target area" is Huge!

If I can go 3or 4 cushions and hit a ball 6.55 mm big, I can surely hit thru that gap and contact the Huge area on the 4th cushion!

View attachment 10877

I guess it's what your used to, the bank or going off the ball first!

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

If I can go 3or 4 cushions and hit a ball 6.55 mm big, I can surely hit thru that gap and contact the Huge area on the 4th cushion!

View attachment 10877

Sorry Bill, but your three cushion experience is overriding you One Pocket lack of experience. That is not to say you haven't One Pocket experience. It is just a matter of degrees.

Too many times players have attempted to save the one ball penalty by these thin hits, only to sell out an easy shot or fail to achieve a very specific location for the cue ball. It just isn't worth it Bill. I know, I've been on that end of a sell out often enough, and I have learned my lesson well.

The kick shot is far more precise and predictable, especially considering the distance the cue ball must travel to reach the thirteen. The one ball loss in penalty can be recovered. A failed attempt at this shot, which can only be considered as a safety, can only be seen as a loss of game.

Tom

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Sorry Bill, but your three cushion experience is overriding you One Pocket lack of experience. That is not to say you haven't One Pocket experience. It is just a matter of degrees.

Too many times players have attempted to save the one ball penalty by these thin hits, only to sell out an easy shot or fail to achieve a very specific location for the cue ball. It just isn't worth it Bill. I know, I've been on that end of a sell out often enough, and I have learned my lesson well.

The kick shot is far more precise and predictable, especially considering the distance the cue ball must travel to reach the thirteen. The one ball loss in penalty can be recovered. A failed attempt at this shot, which can only be considered as a safety, can only be seen as a loss of game.

Tom

It ALL depends on the players ability to execute what they KNOW! My experience as a one pocket player has "nothing" to do with MY choice! I know how to execute this shot, you may not have the same confidence in it that I do. Therefore, you, have another choice, that's all! What's right for me may not be right for you, that's what makes games in pool rooms. One player feels they know more and play better than their opponent.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Bill, it may very well be true that you know the shot and can hit that three rail shot far better than I. However it has little to do with "knowing the shot" it has far more to do with the ability to hit the shot with the same consistency as you would the kick shot. The value just isn't there, Bill.

Tom

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bill, it may very well be true that you know the shot and can hit that three rail shot far better than I. However it has little to do with "knowing the shot" it has far more to do with the ability to hit the shot with the same consistency as you would the kick shot. The value just isn't there, Bill.

Tom

This is the shot I shoot Tom, you can shoot your shot, that's all! I didn't know this was a contest, I thought it was, what would Larry do and what the viewer would! Not is Tom or Bill is correct! :):):)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

View attachment 10877

The target area for the cue ball at the end is decent sized, but the hit on the 11 is pretty thin and needs to be very accurate it appears, and that's the part of that shot that gives me pause. So, I'm with Tom if playing the three cushion safety -- it is plenty hard enough for me without going off a ball first -- not to mention the side pocket point looks close by. If I was playing that i would simply kick three rails and not spend the risk by going off the ball, sorry Bill, unnecessarily tough for most of us.

Actually, I think my shot would be to simply draw off the 11 down toward the corner (hopefully not in!), because the cue ball is well off the side rail to get a decent stroke on it. It is a great break because so many balls opened, even surviving the first few shots, Nevel won't have a chance unless he can pull off something fantastic, and soon!

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Ok, let's stop being too polite. Nobody in their right mind comes off the 11 and goes 4 rails like that.

The 4 rail potential foul is a good option.

It's really easy to lose the cb drawing off the 11 down the rail on that other shot. It's just so easy to lose the entire game with that shot. If you're gonna take a chance at losing the game, you should at least have a shot at winning it, as Grady used to say.

In a rough break like this, you guys ever thought about this shot...... Fire the ten into the 6 and the balls by his hole and force the cb so as to freeze in the stack. I know you are leaving him on the wrong side of the stack but I think it's ok when you are in a tough spot like this. If you don't take a Chance here, or soon, and try to mix things up this game is gonna be over.

Last edited: