Back-to-front one pocket

Skin

Verified Member
Has anyone here ever played this game? I've read about it but have never even seen a game played.

How does the end game strategy play out in this thing? It doesn't seem like there is any good strategic place to move the balls as you're getting ready unless it is frozen to the long rail opposite your pocket.

Skin

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
Has anyone here ever played this game? I've read about it but have never even seen a game played.

How does the end game strategy play out in this thing? It doesn't seem like there is any good strategic place to move the balls as you're getting ready unless it is frozen to the long rail opposite your pocket.

Skin
The same statagie aplies playing correct one pocket mistake free. People will learn some importat lessions while I am wrighting about correct one pocket and no mistakes and everyone will be talking and learning about mistakes because that is the most important part of the game to learn. And you have to learn were to put the object balls and cue ball were your oponient will make a mistake. Mistakes help you win or loose the game. And watch next time you watch 2 great players play and you will see their mistakes and then you will see that the can be beat because the make mistakes.

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
The same statagie aplies playing correct one pocket mistake free. People will learn some importat lessions while I am wrighting about correct one pocket and no mistakes and everyone will be talking and learning about mistakes because that is the most important part of the game to learn. And you have to learn were to put the object balls and cue ball were your oponient will make a mistake. Mistakes help you win or loose the game. And watch next time you watch 2 great players play and you will see their mistakes and then you will see that the can be beat because the make mistakes.

Thanks, Artie. I am studying what you are writing. It is helping me think about the game in a new way. It hasn't helped my execution much, but I am not thinking as dumb as I used to.

By the way, was there much back-to-front played in Chicago when you were playing? From what I have read, not many people played it. I guess Jersey Red was one of the biggest players.

Skin

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
B
Skin said:
Thanks, Artie. I am studying what you are writing. It is helping me think about the game in a new way. It hasn't helped my execution much, but I am not thinking as dumb as I used to.

By the way, was there much back-to-front played in Chicago when you were playing? From what I have read, not many people played it. I guess Jersey Red was one of the biggest players.

Skin
Not to maeny people played it useually pank pool players loved to play that game and great shooters because it favors them. Because you have to shoot longer shoots and you dont have those easy cross corner banks were the can bank the ball and run eight and out it is a further shooting and banking game. Witch can also help the smarter mover. Back pocket one pocket is the same as front pocket one pocket Its like playing front pocket one pocket with all the balls down the other end of the table. And the better shooter and banker has the edge. Unless you play no MISTAKE one pocket and you will still have the edge. But it will be a lot harder to run 8 and out. And a scratch is more costly because you might scratch and leave your opponent a easy straight in or a Spot shot with cue ball in hand for the money. But its a great game for a player who loves to shoot and bank long shots. And one more minor thing the GAME will take way longer then a front pocket game because it is harder to run out. And I always give you the reason WHY. And more people who give exampals should explain what the reason is behind their answer. And that will help a lot and eliminate all the BS and say because or thats the way it is or the say thats how you do it. BUT WE NEED TO GIVE THE ANSWER TO WHY THAT IS SO OR WHY THATS THE ANSWER. And keep your mind and thoughts on making less mistakes and think about it also in your spir time. And when it comes time to play or practice. You are traing your mind to think the correct way. AND FIGURE OUT YOUR SHOT BEFORE YOU SHOT. Not after see your mistake ahead of time. I dont mean missing balls of not playing the correct angale or the correct position. Because everyone will make those mistakes because we are not a computor and we are human and we make mistakes. But the mental mistakes you can figure out ahead of time and not make them. Good Luck and but in some hard sessions practicing learning and be conscioues of your mistakes and correct them and learn them so you dont repeat them. Every game is a new game and has different positions and different shots. And no two games are the same. And their are billions of games played and every game and the positions of the balls are different. So you see their is a lot to learn. And it is hard to memorize a billion games. So by learning not to make any mistakes you will have a big edge in the game. And it will be easier for you to learn the more finer points of the game. And I no a lot of people will copy this but thats great because that is why I but it on hir to start with. So people can learn and improve their game. By making less mistakes. WAtch and see how meny people start using this about playing pool mistake free. And someone might even wright a book about it. But thats what we need to wake up the sleeping dog. That has to learn to THINK. Go ahead and beat everybody. You can do it if you want to. Its between you and the game. It has nothing to do with who you play. When its your turn at the table you have to execute and do your part correctly. AND YOU WILL WIN. And you are a winner because you tried.

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
B Not to maeny people played it useually pank pool players loved to play that game and great shooters because it favors them. Because you have to shoot longer shoots and you dont have those easy cross corner banks were the can bank the ball and run eight and out it is a further shooting and banking game. Witch can also help the smarter mover. Back pocket one pocket is the same as front pocket one pocket Its like playing front pocket one pocket with all the balls down the other end of the table. And the better shooter and banker has the edge. Unless you play no MISTAKE one pocket and you will still have the edge. But it will be a lot harder to run 8 and out. And a scratch is more costly because you might scratch and leave your opponent a easy straight in or a Spot shot with cue ball in hand for the money. But its a great game for a player who loves to shoot and bank long shots. And one more minor thing the GAME will take way longer then a front pocket game because it is harder to run out. And I always give you the reason WHY. And more people who give exampals should explain what the reason is behind their answer. And that will help a lot and eliminate all the BS and say because or thats the way it is or the say thats how you do it. BUT WE NEED TO GIVE THE ANSWER TO WHY THAT IS SO OR WHY THATS THE ANSWER. And keep your mind and thoughts on making less mistakes and think about it also in your spir time. And when it comes time to play or practice. You are traing your mind to think the correct way. AND FIGURE OUT YOUR SHOT BEFORE YOU SHOT. Not after see your mistake ahead of time. I dont mean missing balls of not playing the correct angale or the correct position. Because everyone will make those mistakes because we are not a computor and we are human and we make mistakes. But the mental mistakes you can figure out ahead of time and not make them. Good Luck and but in some hard sessions practicing learning and be conscioues of your mistakes and correct them and learn them so you dont repeat them. Every game is a new game and has different positions and different shots. And no two games are the same. And their are billions of games played and every game and the positions of the balls are different. So you see their is a lot to learn. And it is hard to memorize a billion games. So by learning not to make any mistakes you will have a big edge in the game. And it will be easier for you to learn the more finer points of the game. And I no a lot of people will copy this but thats great because that is why I but it on hir to start with. So people can learn and improve their game. By making less mistakes. WAtch and see how meny people start using this about playing pool mistake free. And someone might even wright a book about it. But thats what we need to wake up the sleeping dog. That has to learn to THINK. Go ahead and beat everybody. You can do it if you want to. Its between you and the game. It has nothing to do with who you play. When its your turn at the table you have to execute and do your part correctly. AND YOU WILL WIN. And you are a winner because you tried.

Yeah, I can see how the back-to-front and back pocket games would be shootouts but in the front-to-back game I can see where if you can line up balls on the long cushion opposite your pocket then you would make it hard for him to move them effectively to his pocket if you leave him by his hole. Plus, you'd get some simple cross banks out of them...maybe.

I read that the usual spot in back-to-front was 8-5 or 8-4 in favor of the guy with the back pocket. But Jersey Red was so good at the game he could give up normal front pocket spots and still beat people, but not real good players.

I find your advice to forget about your opponent and just think about playing your game mistake free to be very helpful, Artie. That eliminates a lot of distractions to your concentration. It really is amazing ,when your are focused on it, how many mistakes you see get made at 1p. You have given a great tip!

Skin

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
Yeah, I can see how the front-to-back and back pocket games would be shootouts but in the front-to-back game I can see where if you can line up balls on the long cushion opposite your pocket then you would make it hard for him to move them effectively to his pocket if you leave him by his hole. Plus, you'd get some simple cross banks out of them...maybe.

I read that the usual spot in front-to-back was 8-5 or 8-4 in favor of the guy with the back pocket. But Jersey Red was so good at the game he could give up normal front pocket spots and still beat people, but not real good players.

I find your advice to forget about your opponent and just think about playing your game mistake free to be very helpful, Artie. That eliminates a lot of distractions to your concentration. It really is amazing ,when your are focused on it, how many mistakes you see get made at 1p. You have given a great tip!

Skin
You are on the wright road cotinue your learning . And think about your game and hat you have to do and learn. Dont worry about your opponent because its all abut you and what you no and do when its your turn at the table. And if you would have to go in a private room or booth when its your opponents shoot would it matter who yopu are playing if you dont get to see your opponent. can you see it does not matter who you are playing. But what YOU do when it is your turn at the table. Keep using your knowledge and what you are learning to improve your game. WE Will give everyone a nick name. EIGHT AND OUT. JUST KIDDING. Let me no when you play a whole game mistake free. Not just running 8 and out thats to easy.

Fred McCann

Verified Member
In back to front one pkt the player taking the back pocket would usually break and go to fewer balls 8-6 or so. The break would not be the traditional one pkt break but rather hitting end rail behind the rack attempting to move some balls uptable. This game was not played much but stronger player would have back pocket but go to slightly fewer balls vs somewhat weaker player. Fred

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fred McCann said:
In back to front one pkt the player taking the back pocket would usually break and go to fewer balls 8-6 or so. The break would not be the traditional one pkt break but rather hitting end rail behind the rack attempting to move some balls uptable. This game was not played much but stronger player would have back pocket but go to slightly fewer balls vs somewhat weaker player. Fred
Fred, were you around the game in NYC back when Jersey Red and Bob 'The Destroyer' Meyers ruled the One Pocket scene? Or was that variation played other places, too...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fred McCann said:
Hey Steve it was played in Phila. but not very often. Fred
Ahh, so that could have been Joe Veasey, among others. I had Joe Veasey's contact # but never got through to him when I tried. Do you happen to know how he is doing, and could you possibly help me reach him?

Fred McCann

Verified Member
I was not around Jersey Red or Meyers in NYC Steve. I was in the Magic Cue at 43rd & Broadway ( closed for many years). It is nice to go on this site and read players views ref one pkt. Take care. Fred

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fred McCann said:
I was not around Jersey Red or Meyers in NYC Steve. I was in the Magic Cue at 43rd & Broadway ( closed for many years). It is nice to go on this site and read players views ref one pkt. Take care. Fred
Thanks for chipping in; it is always great to get a new perspective.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Thanks for chipping in; it is always great to get a new perspective.
I remember when I use to hustle pool I would play a weeker player he had one of the front pockets and I have a back pocket. Iwould say thats worth about 3 balls or more. You would think its a easy game but its not. Because if a player scratches in a pocket and he gets cue ball in hand behind the line he has to bank a ball the length of the table and get behind the balls and play position. And you better no how to move or its all over fast. Because even a weeker player can run out if all the balls are open and infront of his pocket. BUt running 8 and out on all the length of the table shoots is a lot harder. Try it with some other player or you can even play the game against yourself. If you have never played it try it you mite like it. And you can also learn from playing the game. I recomened you take a front pocket. You mite even be able to trap someone with the game that doesnt to the value of the game.