Improvement

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
It's been a while since I posted on here.

One Pockets still my favorite game and I feel I'm playing pretty strong but still need to improve a lot.

I've got some regular games and they are tough - one game I give 10-5 and the breaks to an older gentleman for $50 a game and I have to play jam up to win anything (most of the time we break even)... another game I play someone close to my age (33) and he's a much stronger 9 ball player and is fearless - he spots me 10-7 for 20-40 a game and we tend to break even. Other than these 2 games anyone else wants the world as a spot and they're not willing to play a fair game.

I don't have the money to step up and play some of the other big dogs in the area (they play hundreds a game or sets for thousands). So how do I improve more?

I've read every book I can find on one pocket (that is still in print) and I've watched practically every instructional DVD on one pocket. My banking is real strong and cue ball control is pretty strong (one area I know can be a little sharper). I have a decent break. I have gotten better at power shots (moving several balls and turning a game around). I'm just not sure how to step my game up to the next level. Any opinion or help would be appreciated.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
It's been a while since I posted on here.

One Pockets still my favorite game and I feel I'm playing pretty strong but still need to improve a lot.

I've got some regular games and they are tough - one game I give 10-5 and the breaks to an older gentleman for $50 a game and I have to play jam up to win anything (most of the time we break even)... another game I play someone close to my age (33) and he's a much stronger 9 ball player and is fearless - he spots me 10-7 for 20-40 a game and we tend to break even. Other than these 2 games anyone else wants the world as a spot and they're not willing to play a fair game.

I don't have the money to step up and play some of the other big dogs in the area (they play hundreds a game or sets for thousands). So how do I improve more?

I've read every book I can find on one pocket (that is still in print) and I've watched practically every instructional DVD on one pocket. My banking is real strong and cue ball control is pretty strong (one area I know can be a little sharper). I have a decent break. I have gotten better at power shots (moving several balls and turning a game around). I'm just not sure how to step my game up to the next level. Any opinion or help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have a couple of solid games set up but here is my 2 cents on what I would do. Find someone better than you (not a fearless 9 ball shooter who just runs out but someone who knows the game, the shots, the end game, etc.) - play them and take the worst of it. For example if you should really be getting 9-7 or so, play them even for $20 a game. That will keep them interested enough to continue playing and it gives you a chance to watch, learn and improve your game without going bankrupt in the process.

I know that's what a lot of us have done or still do to improve our game so that would be my best suggestion in addition to continue watching videos and participating in these forums in the WWYD discussions.

Good luck and hope to see you come around more often!

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Sounds like you have a couple of solid games set up but here is my 2 cents on what I would do. Find someone better than you (not a fearless 9 ball shooter who just runs out but someone who knows the game, the shots, the end game, etc.) - play them and take the worst of it. For example if you should really be getting 9-7 or so, play them even for $20 a game. That will keep them interested enough to continue playing and it gives you a chance to watch, learn and improve your game without going bankrupt in the process.

I know that's what a lot of us have done or still do to improve our game so that would be my best suggestion in addition to continue watching videos and participating in these forums in the WWYD discussions.

Good luck and hope to see you come around more often!

I have done exactly what Cincy Kid has suggested. I would try and find a tough player and I would try and get him to play for cheap stakes in a game where you are taking the worst of it.

I have played a couple of VERY strong players getting 12-7 and 11-7, and I have to play my absolute best to break even. I think it has helped my game immensely.

kollegedave

JoeyM

Verified Member
From
Cartersville, GA
I have improved a couple of balls lately. I got real lucky in finding an older player who knows the game very well. Every shot he takes, he explains why that is the better option for him to shoot. Every shot I take, I have to pick three options and explain each option and then pick one of those 3 options to shoot. He then goes over my choice and if it's the best choice.

Everyone says I am playing much tighter now and not making poor choices. I enjoy the WWYD, watching\playing better players, videos, etc but this has helped me more than anything else. Forcing me to stop and think each shot through.

Best of all, He does this for free.
JoeyM

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Improvement

I have improved a couple of balls lately. I got real lucky in finding an older player who knows the game very well. Every shot he takes, he explains why that is the better option for him to shoot. Every shot I take, I have to pick three options and explain each option and then pick one of those 3 options to shoot. He then goes over my choice and if it's the best choice.

Everyone says I am playing much tighter now and not making poor choices. I enjoy the WWYD, watching\playing better players, videos, etc but this has helped me more than anything else. Forcing me to stop and think each shot through.

JoeyM

That is awesome! I hope you pay his time or buy him a coffee at least heh. Really- that is fantastic. Nice to hear about the speed jump too. Kudos.

Keith E.

Verified Member

JoeyM

You Sir, are a very fortunate individual. As previously mentioned, please comp the gentleman in some way. Also, enjoy every minute of every session.

OP, sorry for the derailment.

Keith

JoeyM

Verified Member
From
Cartersville, GA
I make sure to take care of him. Not a whole bunch of people willing to help out like that.
Sorry for the derailment.
JoeyM

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
JoeyM,

You know my game. You also know the 2 players I tend to have somewhat regular games with (Billy W and Anthony G).

What would you say my strengths and weaknesses are? what can I spend more time on improving?

PS - if you've improved a few balls lately then I can't give you the same game anymore - what was it last time? 10-5 or 10-6 and the breaks lol

JoeyM

Verified Member
From
Cartersville, GA
JoeyM,

You know my game. You also know the 2 players I tend to have somewhat regular games with (Billy W and Anthony G).

What would you say my strengths and weaknesses are? what can I spend more time on improving?

PS - if you've improved a few balls lately then I can't give you the same game anymore - what was it last time? 10-5 or 10-6 and the breaks lol

If this is the guy who never answers my phone calls, then yeah, I know your game...LOL

I would say your strengths are your cueball control, soft touch, and ability to come up with creative ways to get out of traps.

I would say your weakness is lack of patience. The longer the game goes and especially if all the balls are moved up the table, the more likely you will get bored and attempt kicking into a 2 rail bank combination.

I would really like to see you and Hardmix play. I think you would improve a bit by playing him. I don't like to match people up, but if he gave you 10-8, I wouldn't bet on either of you.

If I continue to play the way I have the last month, I would guess 9-7 and the break or 10-7? Should be a good game IF I keep playing well. I don't think anyone will let me go to 5 anymore. I played Big Larry even a few weeks ago and finished 1 game down after 7 or 8 games. He wasn't feeling well that day though. I know he can play better.
JoeyM

PS you could spend more time improving your beer drinking before we play.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
If this is the guy who never answers my phone calls, then yeah, I know your game...LOL

I would say your strengths are your cueball control, soft touch, and ability to come up with creative ways to get out of traps.

I would say your weakness is lack of patience. The longer the game goes and especially if all the balls are moved up the table, the more likely you will get bored and attempt kicking into a 2 rail bank combination.

I would really like to see you and Hardmix play. I think you would improve a bit by playing him. I don't like to match people up, but if he gave you 10-8, I wouldn't bet on either of you.

If I continue to play the way I have the last month, I would guess 9-7 and the break or 10-7? Should be a good game IF I keep playing well. I don't think anyone will let me go to 5 anymore. I played Big Larry even a few weeks ago and finished 1 game down after 7 or 8 games. He wasn't feeling well that day though. I know he can play better.
JoeyM

PS you could spend more time improving your beer drinking before we play.

You should see my patience when playing $50 or more a game... It's harder to stay focused and patient when playing 5 or 10 a game. After the holidays lets setup a game with Hardmix - I'll try whatever you think is fair.

And if the 2 rail kick combo is on - I'm going for it lol

JoeyM

Verified Member
From
Cartersville, GA
You should see my patience when playing $50 or more a game... It's harder to stay focused and patient when playing 5 or 10 a game. After the holidays lets setup a game with Hardmix - I'll try whatever you think is fair.

And if the 2 rail kick combo is on - I'm going for it lol

I am sure we can get something setup after the New Year.
JoeyM