Two Rolls

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The first day of the Chicago rematch there were two critical bad breaks that affected the whole match.
The third game, Ghost made a great, I mean spectacular bank and had shape to get out. It was about the middle of the game and both players had made some balls. It was a chance to get out.
He shot another ball in and the cue took a funny turn in the middle of the table and locked him up frozen to the six with no shot at his balls or a good safe. It cost him that game
In the fifth game, Bruce had a good breakout shot on a cluster, he made the ball and then a nasty double kiss put the cue ball in the pocket.
That Scratch left John with an open table to get five. Instead of Ghost getting out, John gets out.
Those two games would have made it 4/3 for the day and of course we saw how Bruce almost pulled it out anyway.
But that’s part of pool or any sport. Sometimes the rolls go your way.
I know this, a fourth day with everything on the line????
You showed great heart Bruce and players can look at your standard of play and sportsmanship to someday imitate that themselves. You can hold your head high.:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The first day of the Chicago rematch there were two critical bad breaks that affected the whole match.
The third game, Ghost made a great, I mean spectacular bank and had shape to get out. It was about the middle of the game and both players had made some balls. It was a chance to get out.
He shot another ball in and the cue took a funny turn in the middle of the table and locked him up frozen to the six with no shot at his balls or a good safe. It cost him that game.
In the fifth game, Bruce had a good breakout shot on a cluster, he made the ball and then a nasty double kiss put the cue ball in the pocket.
That Scratch left John with an open table to get five. Instead of Ghost getting out, John gets out.
Those two games would have made it 4/3 for the day and of course we saw how Bruce almost pulled it out anyway.
But that’s part of pool or any sport. Sometimes the rolls go your way.
I know this, a fourth day with everything on the line????
You showed great heart Bruce and players can look at your standard of play and sportsmanship to someday imitate that themselves. You can hold your head high.

Thanks for sayin' Bill...you and John are a class act as well.

- Ghost

P.S. And an even more brutal roll on day three, was when there were two balls on the foot rail lined up dead to both of our pockets..John is right next to them and has a very simple kick at them...he somehow misses the balls entirely but unbelievably bounces horizontally two rails under the stack and ends up leaving me totally froze between two balls, with no shot and no possible safety :( if I'm just 1/64" from being froze, I get to kick at the dead combo and run a bunch of balls - that roll most probably cost me that all-important game.

Last edited:

El Chapo

Verified Member
I gotta say, as objectively as I can, that you can't just chock up games like that in the original post "if something went the other way". Sure like missing a nine ball in a game of nine ball maybe, but in the middle of a one pocket game when the talent is not world class you just cant be giving games. There is liable to be eight more mistakes. I do not know if i am making any sense, and I am not knocking anyone, but i have always felt that. Hell, you can watch pro commentators watching pro pool players, and you hear over and over poor predictive statements.

I will tell you what, I played pool for 20 years and I do not believe i ever scratched and it was a bad roll. Ever. I believe i took chances and the odds were against it happening, but i had probably shot 10 chance shots before that and got away with them.

This is just a little pet peeve I have, just giving players games from the sidelines. I realize i am coming off strong but i do not believe in analyzing matches like this. It is even very difficult to predict the outcomes of top flight players when they are under pressure, so anyone who is not world class it is way beyond impossible to predict potential match outcomes if "so and so" would have happened. And then for sure, absolutely without a doubt, 100% positive, you can't give a player the games he shoulda won and then pile them on top of the games he did win like that, as if the score had no effect on the match. That would be like saying score and player psychology have no effect in the match, which could not be further from the truth. Who knows, maybe if one of those rolls went ghost's way John would have been more fired up and played even better. I am not saying that woulda happened more just making a point. You can't just take a guy's potential rebound ability away.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Two Rolls

The last roll of the chohan/page match just trumped all three bad rolls in Chicago. OMG. 🥺