mosconi reveries ...

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
(i am posting this simultaneously in az and onepocket.org. well, not exactly simultaneously because i can’t quite figure out how to do that. let’s call the process proximus maximus, which is a faux latin term i just made up!)

even though the mosconi cup doesn’t include one-pocket, i just love these international games!

for some reason, i become much more of a ‘nervous nellie’ while watching the partners matches than the singletons. anyone else feel that way?

for me, i think it’s because i hate screwing up my teammate’s turn. let me count the ways i flub the dub: i miss the shot, i leave her hooked, i scratch, etc.

fortunately, the mosconi cup provides me some considerable quantum of solace when i see some of the top players in the world choke. (ego alert ... yep, i’m talking about you, you mosconi guys!)

further, i think that ‘choke’ is an accurate and descriptive word.

the commentators talk about ‘pressure.’

we can all identify with how that specific duress-noun plays out when we watch world champs miss relatively easy shots. and then further observe them as they miss relatively simple position opportunities.

(on the positive side, it’s also so uplifting to see some of the best players in the universe successfully execute ever-more challenging shots in that same pressure cooker environment!)

with the short races to six, anyone can beat anyone ...

this year’s rookies -- dechaine and melling (how i wish the melling parents hadn’t named him ‘chris’ ... the pronunciation so often morphs into ‘smelling!’) -- have each had some terrific moments.

further mosconi musings ...

> there is not very much we need to say about the mosconi attire ... tacky patches are tacky patches. no matter which team, nor which side of the atlantic sports them on their upper torso garments. tawdry breeds ... well, tawdry.

> i had forgotten about that girl ref -- she is marvelous! she can laser out the sternest looks! although i believe she had more order-maintaining duties last year in york hall. are euro-fans more unruly?

> this year ... why did they abandon the magic rack after the first day?

> also ... didn’t that first-day diamond table have a ball-return function? if i’m not mistaken, the pockets now retain the orbs?

> the stream graphics are terrific! i love the dissolve function as each ball is pocketed. i wish we could do that with one-pocket. show, say, the 14-ball slurped into the ether as it is potted.

> plus, the mosconi running game-count and the regular postings of the overall match standings are most helpful. as is the ‘order of play’ for the daily scheduled competitions -- past, present and future, red v. blue. well done!

(by the way, stellar computer graphics aren’t that expensive. a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down the pants!)

> shot clock ... yes! it seems fair, it keeps the action moving along, it occasionally adds to the tension. i don’t know what the one-pocket equivalent might be? (certainly not 30 seconds! but perhaps a game clock, or a match timepiece ... tick, tick, ticking along?)

> i would never name names ... but isn’t that one euro-guy awfully cute! (there are also one or two boyos who might well qualify for the all-ugly team if one were to score the proceedings in such a petty way, which, of course, one would never do.) is there a baldness requirement to qualify for team europe? is so, why?

> last year, for me, there was one pivotal and defining shot. one of our good guys -- in a key game -- snookered himself with, i believe, only two or three object balls left on the field of play.

this year there have been several exciting turning points. but i haven’t seen that singular ‘oh my gawd’ cardiac-paddle moment. perhaps this is because the contest was never that close?

(to have qualified, heart-wise, the match-changing shot must have come late in the contest, must have been physically or psychologically-pivotal and must have involved an heroic shot or a massive blunder. ((see sunny rule 22b, subsection f.)) )

> why aren’t there any girls in the mosconi cup? jasmin, anyone? jeanette? if those two were on the teams, i bet the interest levels, the viewership, the chatter, would all be up!

> has anyone else noticed how the advertising commercials are well spaced and well done? not intrusive, yet quite creative? if watching them is the entry fee to observe international pool at this level ... well i am so in! okay, so the british accent makes them sound smarter.

> the commentary is quite good. some of it might seem to overstate the obvious; but if the mosconi cup attracts new, and relatively unschooled viewers (such as i am!), then explanations, and over-explanations, of the basics, are both understandable and they are appreciated.

in that vein ... i am so enjoying the wink-and-nudge references. such as when a shot rattles its way in: ‘it wiped its feet at the doorstep.’ ‘it went in the tradesman’s entrance.’

wry, with a european nod.

> there are a couple of stellar futurists in az who go to considerable lengths to allow us peons to access some of the most desirable billiard streams in the universe.

i won’t name ‘cmb’ and ‘up’ by name because they are modest chaps.

(nota bene, boys: your -- cmb’s and up’s -- appearances in onepocket.org are now expected. be there or be square! two splendid venues -- az and one-pocket -- continue to welcome you.)

all of the above musings, random and pointless as they are, are of course, minor notions.

the major concern is, as all of the pool world appreciates, the chat function.

i wasn’t able to find a stream that allowed me to share my real-time wisdom with the real-time world of mosconi cup viewers.

it seemed almost unnatural, if not illegal, for me not to be able to comment as the matches progressed.

first amendment principles may well come into play.

any constitutional attorneys in here?

observing the letter of the law is my life,

sunny

p. s. in a fascinating sidebar discussion, one of the moderators was asked: ‘would team usa have been better off with earl strickland on the squad?’ his shorthand answer was ... ‘no, the future of american pool is with svb and mike d.’

hmm, the future is the future.

but ... it’s interesting to think about the pearl’s passion, his disruption capabilities and the overall influence he would have exerted upon this year’s teams. as well as his skill in clutch situations.

yes?

no?

maybe so?

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Sunny, does your mother know you go to AZB, or that you get all breathless and dewy-eyed about rotation games and rotation game players? As we say in Lafourche Parish, j'ai honte for you! Don't you have any one-pocket match videos to watch? Confession may be good for the soul, but around here it can be worse for your reputation than restless leg syndrome. I know we have a few swingers among our posters, but they generally don't own up to it. Have a care. :eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Sunnyperson,

Forgive me for not quoting your entire post, as I was afraid it would max out my entire memory bank allotment..(for the year)... ;)..Your observations, from a feminine, novice (your words) were quite good..considering same.

Like you, I thought it was a first class effort, by "Match Room," everything went off almost as smooth as a professional ESPN production. The asthetics and setting were first class, as was the commentary and camera work.

I don't know what it will take, for team USA, to ever dominate again...based on their deviciveness, and petty squables..PRIOR to even the first match. It seems that way, much more often than not.... I also feel that we have now achieved parity...(if not becoming a slight underdog)

Also, it becomes obvious, very early on, that the Euro's are simply more comfortable with team events. They are a very cohesive unit (and most are good friend's) with a lot of very good player's, who have faith, and respect, in each others skill.

It appears we have (maybe) one and a half players, who could feel as comfortable (as is possible).. in a heads up short match, with ANY of the Euro's...and those few guys seem to play their 'medium speed' most of the time, while lacking confidence in their partner, in the doubles match-ups.

Its very hard to fake 'comraderie' or 'unity'...it is either there, or it isn't. The Euro's, the Asian's and the Phillipino's, all seem to have it in spades... As I see it, that seems to be the USA's biggest shortcoming...Sad but true !..:(

Duckperson

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Micaella Tabb, the lady ref, was the best part of the whole event. She is a beauty. Sunnyone I read the whole thing and was waiting to see what your life was today. Reading your posts is my life.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I watched it free on hahasport and enjoyed it quite a bit. The first day was rough. If those two 6-5 matches that the U.S. lost could have went the other way, could have been totally different outcome. But Europe was real good. A little better for sure and they knew how to break better on that table. They also seem to be really professional pool players, totally devoted, and the rookie came through for them.

The first day like you said, the table had ball return. If you noticed the balls were returning to the break end of the table and the ref-racker had to pick them up and roll them to the other end of the table to rack them. By day two, the magic rack was gone and the balls had to be removed out of the pockets, so they changed the table or made a change to the table. They make different size magic racks and the one they were using was the big one I think and it was apparently leaving spaces.

I think Rodney screwed up badly, when on day two, things were really going good for the U.S. and he was talking with the crowd while playing, but then he heard return comments from a Europe supporter, and blew his stack, then blew the lead they had when the overall score was 4-3, then blew that match which could have tied. When he asked Appleton to go outside and fight, it just screwed him up and pumped up Europe. I don't blame him for any of it, I just know in my mine it messed him up. He also made several terrible mistakes in the final match. I enjoyed watching this. It was the first time I ever saw any Mosconi Cup live, and I must have caught about half of the matches.