Gary Spaeth vs cincy_kid

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I can't believe I found this VHS tape! I had been asking a buddy to let me borrow it so I could get it transferred to a digital format and lo and behold it was in my darn basement the whole time!

This is back in 1996 in Akron, OH at the Shamrock Shootout one pocket tournament. Gary and I had drove up together with another couple of our buddies and he and I ended up being in the finals of the winners bracket for the hot seat match.

I wish it would have been a more professional video or at least an overhead view of the entire table but unfortunately it was just one of our buddies using a handheld, old style VHS camcorder standing there the whole time recording it. Not only do you miss the entire table but also there are times where it's very shaky and turning sideways :)

But heck, its better than nothing and a memory I will now get to save forever...RIP buddy...

Gary beats me 3-1 (yes I did win a game!) but I had a decent little run around the 16:00 mark.

Lyle Gay plowed through the losers bracket and beat me at the end of it so I took 3rd and then he played Gary in the finals. He actually beat Gary the first set but then Gary turned it on and won the 3rd set pretty quickly for the title. I also have that full match on video which I plan on getting it uploaded and posting as well for anyone interested in seeing it.

(On a side note while I was watching my match last night I wondered if the cincy_kid today would have beat that cincy_kid from 20 years ago. I would like to think the one from today would win but who the heck knows. I pocketed balls better back then but I have so much more knowledge/experience now which is why I give me the edge hehe)

Enjoy ~

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cincy
i will try to watch the whole match today
watched your run ...nice shooting
i was surprised to see gary get a double kiss and miss a bank...:eek:
not having ever seen him play by reputation i figure he never missed...:D
now i understand why your shot selections and comments are so good
hanging with gary spaeth and playing for at least 20 years you have to learn alot....:)
thanks for posting the video

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
cincy
i will try to watch the whole match today
watched your run ...nice shooting
i was surprised to see gary get a double kiss and miss a bank...:eek:
not having ever seen him play by reputation i figure he never missed...:D
now i understand why your shot selections and comments are so good
hanging with gary spaeth and playing for at least 20 years you have to learn alot....:)
thanks for posting the video

Thanks Larry!

Yes I was surprised he got the dbl kiss there too - it was not very typical for him to do that. He had a very good stroke and when his head was right he played better than any human. However like most of us, his head wasn't always right so he wasn't as consistent as he would have liked to be. As you can see too, he didn't take a long time thinking about each shot, he pretty much knew what he was going to do so he would get up and fire. :)

There is a bank he shoots in the Lyle Gay match that I will point out the time line on when I get it uploaded. It's one of those 3 rail back and forth cross corners and he actually gets too much on it. It doesn't go but still ends up being a good shot. I don't ever see that shot when I am playing or else I see it and choose not to shoot it..either way, its a good shot to have in your tool box when needed!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
How do you think Gary ,at his best, would match up with todays players?

Hard to say. When Gary played people he knew he could beat (like me) - he would blow your mind at times. When he played the top players it just depended on which Gary showed up. I am a bit biased since he was a buddy of mine and will always be one of the greatest players in my mind.

But he was a world bank champion and is in the HOF so I would say he could probably hold his own. :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I can't believe I found this VHS tape! I had been asking a buddy to let me borrow it so I could get it transferred to a digital format and lo and behold it was in my darn basement the whole time!

This is back in 1996 in Akron, OH at the Shamrock Shootout one pocket tournament. Gary and I had drove up together with another couple of our buddies and he and I ended up being in the finals of the winners bracket for the hot seat match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Gd7lanbAU

I wish it would have been a more professional video or at least an overhead view of the entire table but unfortunately it was just one of our buddies using a handheld, old style VHS camcorder standing there the whole time recording it. Not only do you miss the entire table but also there are times where it's very shaky and turning sideways :)

But heck, its better than nothing and a memory I will now get to save forever...RIP buddy...

Gary beats me 3-1 (yes I did win a game!) but I had a decent little run around the 16:00 mark.

Lyle Gay plowed through the losers bracket and beat me at the end of it so I took 3rd and then he played Gary in the finals. He actually beat Gary the first set but then Gary turned it on and won the 3rd set pretty quickly for the title. I also have that full match on video which I plan on getting it uploaded and posting as well for anyone interested in seeing it.

(On a side note while I was watching my match last night I wondered if the cincy_kid today would have beat that cincy_kid from 20 years ago. I would like to think the one from today would win but who the heck knows. I pocketed balls better back then but I have so much more knowledge/experience now which is why I give me the edge hehe)

Enjoy ~

Lyle Gay(JR) as I knew him. That brings back memories of when I first moved to Detroit. I got schooled so many times I thought I'd never learn 1P. I know I'm still learning so much and I have a long way to go:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice video, Chris! I'd expected to see a banks match, but it was 1P. I thought you played very well against a champion. The video quality isn't bad at all. And do you know what was especially nice? No hideous annoying rap rhythms in the background.:heh In fact, no music at all. Heaven.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Lyle Gay(JR) as I knew him. That brings back memories of when I first moved to Detroit. I got schooled so many times I thought I'd never learn 1P. I know I'm still learning so much and I have a long way to go:)

Ah yea I had forgotten about that, we called him JR a lot too! I remember he used to never play 1p, he was mostly a straight pool player but boy did he learn :)

No shame in getting schooled by him. In fact the very next year he won the US Open One Pocket Tourney!

(on a side note I guess it's Leil not Lyle - oops my fault)

Edit: hmm or is it Lyle? I have sen it both ways!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nice video, Chris! I'd expected to see a banks match, but it was 1P. I thought you played very well against a champion. The video quality isn't bad at all. And do you know what was especially nice? No hideous annoying rap rhythms in the background.:heh In fact, no music at all. Heaven.

~Doc

Thanks Doc! Fortunately for me it was 1p and not bank or it would have been much uglier hehe.

True on the music. A lot of laughing and pill bottle shaking but no rap :)

cuesmith

Verified Member

Enjoy ~

Hi Chris! I watched the match today and it really brought back memories. You did play a solid match against Gary. At one of my Saturday 9-ball tournaments I had Gary down 4-1 racing to 5 and made the mistake of telling him that I thought I was finally going to beat him a match. Of course he won the next 4, three fouling me twice and running 2 of the racks. I'm having Dave Thompson from "A+, Some Assembly Required" come over in the next week or so and replace the cushions and Simonis on my Diamond. I'll let you know when it's done and invite you over for some one pocket. Of course I'll need a little weight..........................

Sherm

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hi Chris! I watched the match today and it really brought back memories. You did play a solid match against Gary. At one of my Saturday 9-ball tournaments I had Gary down 4-1 racing to 5 and made the mistake of telling him that I thought I was finally going to beat him a match. Of course he won the next 4, three fouling me twice and running 2 of the racks. I'm having Dave Thompson from "A+, Some Assembly Required" come over in the next week or so and replace the cushions and Simonis on my Diamond. I'll let you know when it's done and invite you over for some one pocket. Of course I'll need a little weight..........................

Sherm

haha, hey Sherm! Thanks, you got to see the match live as well! I will give you the weight of the contents in my pocket :lol

Please do let me know when you have it finished I would love to come over and donate on your home turf!

I am going to get the Leil Gay one uploaded this weekend.

See you soon I hope buddy ~

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Gary Spaeth vs Leil Gay

Gary Spaeth vs Leil Gay

as promised here is the Spaeth vs Gay finals of that tourney:

(That 3 rail cross corner bank is about 25:15)

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Enjoy ~

No more of this mealy mouthed talking about how you can't play, and don't know the game... The cats outta the bag Kid, you screwed the pooch by posting this video, I'm getting 9/7 from you now :) after all, 20 years of experience later, I'm betting on the old kid also...

Can't wait ta meet ya...
:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
No more of this mealy mouthed talking about how you can't play, and don't know the game... The cats outta the bag Kid, you screwed the pooch by posting this video, I'm getting 9/7 from you now :) after all, 20 years of experience later, I'm betting on the old kid also...

Can't wait ta meet ya...
:)

LOL Jeff...

The part you are leaving out is, yes I was playing every day 20 years ago. But then I took a 17 year break where I played none at all. I am just recently trying to play a few hours every weekend and starting to make balls again! :)

Either way, looking forward to meeting you too, I can't wait - this is going to be a blast!

(Out of all of the people coming to the event, you may be one of the ones I am most afraid to play!)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was thinking about this post and wanted to bump it in case anyone newer wanted to see it.

On a side note Jeff, I said you were the one I was most afraid to play and look I was right you knocked us all off on the first ever MOT! Nice shooting buddy...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'd forgotten that match that you'd posted up 4 years ago from '96-- when you actually WERE still a kid!..;)

You played very well, and it's great that you have a match recorded against your friend, who was a champion. You'll always have that video, and I'm sure it brings back memories.

I couldn't help noticing that Gary's stance, level stroke, strong bridge and concentration looks a lot like Bill Incardona's.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I have seen Gary become part of the table before , he would have his knee along one rail, his elbow under it and a toe in one of the pockets, when he shot , he wasn't moving lol.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Oh yea, his technique was top notch. He used more body language than most too, following his CB to his intended location. A lot of times in a match he would point to where the CB was going to end up and he would be pretty darn close every time. I don't think it was showboating but more for his own benefit, like a carry over from practice or something...I dunno but his stroke sure was purty....

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Oh yea, his technique was top notch. He used more body language than most too, following his CB to his intended location. A lot of times in a match he would point to where the CB was going to end up and he would be pretty darn close every time. I don't think it was showboating but more for his own benefit, like a carry over from practice or something...I dunno but his stroke sure was purty....

Definitely a watchable match. Yes, his technique is quite remarkable, especially the follow-through.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Definitely a watchable match. Yes, his technique is quite remarkable, especially the follow-through.
It's shots like this I don't even see (or have the confidence to shoot):

He got so much spin on it, it almost went 2 rails in Leil's hole instead of 3 rails in his own...

Last edited: