Ochoa-Frost 2010 DCC finals

onepockethacker

Verified Member
BRAIN FART Disregard everything I said about the kiss and my explanation of what could happen, I actually envisioned the 8ball positioned to the other side of the 3ball and the kiss happening with the 8ball.:confused: :frus

It actually all depends on how quickly the 3ball departs from the 8ball, the quicker the 3ball departs the less likely there will be a kiss.:sorry

Dr. Bill

See that Dr Billy.. deciding what the right shot is on here isnt as easy as when you are in the accustats booth and Danny D. is handing you pieces of paper with the right shot written on them.:D:lol:p:sorry
P.S. I always wondered why your shot choices on here are always about 9 to 7 under your accustat selections.. now I know why. LMFAO

bstroud

Verified Member
I don't think he got a good enough result to justify the shot he chose.

It looks like the dark ball on the side rail is visible from the cue ball position. If so he will be in real trouble in his next inning.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dear Dr. Bill, if there is a standard 1P shot this is it.

You just have to apply the two balls on the spot shot. Doesn't everyone shoot this shot from behind the head string. Haven't we been talking about the spot shot from different angles and putting the QB on one side or the other or hitting it a little fuller from straighter on. It's the same shot for gods sake.

Any C player should be able to shoot it.
Jim, the shot we're talking about has multiple problems with the execution of the shot, not only in terms of controlling the 3ball but the cue ball as well. Depending on the angle going into the 3ball will determine how quickly the 3ball departs from the 8ball which will determine then if the kiss is a possibility or not. Obviously in this situation the angle and ball position wasn't conducive to a kiss, however, that doesn't have to be true with similar shots of this kind. It all depends on how quickly the top ball leaves the carom, you can get a kiss in two ways. You can double kiss the 3ball before it hits the rail, or after it hits the rail depending on the position of the balls and the angle going into the shot. And unfortunately any C player may not understand that.:sorry

By the way, I like your answer to Sylver's shot by banking the solid into the 10ball and controlling the cue ball under the 8ball.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Jim, the shot we're talking about has multiple problems with the execution of the shot, not only in terms of controlling the 3ball but the cue ball as well. Depending on the angle going into the 3ball will determine how quickly the 3ball departs from the 8ball which will determine then if the kiss is a possibility or not. Obviously in this situation the angle and ball position wasn't conducive to a kiss, however, that doesn't have to be true with similar shots of this kind. It all depends on how quickly the top ball leaves the carom, you can get a kiss in two ways. You can double kiss the 3ball before it hits the rail, or after it hits the rail depending on the position of the balls and the angle going into the shot. And unfortunately any C player may not understand that.:sorry

By the way, I like your answer to Sylver's shot by banking the solid into the 10ball and controlling the cue ball under the 8ball.

Dr. Bill

We are talking about THIS shot the way it lays. It was ROUTINE!!!!! I would love to play any of the guys even who liked kicking at the 7 ball.. Holy Shit

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Shooting the 7 leaves several open shots and doesn't improve your position.
Jim, lets go back to your post here and i'll explain why the soft kick is a viable option.

The soft kick accomplishes at least three things that I can think of. First it gets you safely away from a possible disaster of giving up a straight in shot or from scratching. Secondly, it could tie up the 7ball on your opponents side of the table. Thirdly, it keeps your opponents side congested, as opposed to opening it up by shooting the 3ball option. All of the things I mentioned have one thing in common, they force your opponent to work for a shot, as opposed to offering him one.

You say that the soft kick leaves multiple return shots, I don't see that. I agree it may leave a straight back with the 15ball, however, the cue ball should be positioned close to the rail with an awkward angle for that shot, in terms of both hitting it accurately and controlling the cue ball off the hit. So imo, that's what I was talking about when I said that you're making your opponent "work" for what he gets. I think that it's more than a fair trade off by getting away from a possible disaster with shooting the 3ball and playing a totally safe shot that makes your opponent work for what he gets.

Dr. Bill

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Jim, lets go back to your post here and i'll explain why the soft kick is a viable option.

The soft kick accomplishes at least three things that I can think of. First it gets you safely away from a possible disaster of giving up a straight in shot or from scratching. Secondly, it could tie up the 7ball on your opponents side of the table. Thirdly, it keeps your opponents side congested, as opposed to opening it up by shooting the 3ball option. All of the things I mentioned have one thing in common, they force your opponent to work for a shot, as opposed to offering him one.

You say that the soft kick leaves multiple return shots, I don't see that. I agree it may leave a straight back with the 15ball, however, the cue ball should be positioned close to the rail with an awkward angle for that shot, in terms of both hitting it accurately and controlling the cue ball off the hit. So imo, that's what I was talking about when I said that you're making your opponent "work" for what he gets. I think that it's more than a fair trade off by getting away from a possible disaster with shooting the 3ball and playing a totally safe shot that makes your opponent work for what he gets.

Dr. Bill

In general all this is true. You can tie up the 7 and leave the blocking cluster alone. However, this shoft kick is weak.

This is a good time to take the balls by the horn and put some heat on. Your not going to win if you cant take advantage of a favorable position. I dont care if the QB is frozen to the rail. Time to grow a pair:heh

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In general all this is true. You can tie up the 7 and leave the blocking cluster alone. However, this shoft kick is weak.

This is a good time to take the balls by the horn and put some heat on. Your not going to win if you cant take advantage of a favorable position. I dont care if the QB is frozen to the rail. Time to grow a pair:heh
Jimmy, another thing about your shot that I failed to mention is that the expected outcome for success with the shot is no more than 25%. Meaning that one out of four times you are going to drop under the 7ball with your shot, that's not a very good percentage when playing a risky shot, is it? Now if you have the control of a player like Sylver then maybe your percentage goes up to around 40%. I do understand that even if you don't get under the 7ball it's not a poor shot, but it could be. Plus there are going to be times when you scratch with the shot as well.:sorry So, on your way to growing a pair, you just might lose something that's more important..your $$.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

I think you're labeling the soft kick inaccurately when you say it's weak. It's not weak, it may be passive but not weak. It allows your opponent to make a mistake and it prevents you from making one as well. It buys time in a situation where many need time, unless you're a top player, or an aggressive one.

It's a very viable option for more players than you think, and you could be one of them.:sorry Not trying to disrespect your game it's just imo a viable shot in this situation. Now if the cue ball was off the rail a foot your shot now becomes the better shot for many more players, even me.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
My first inclination was to cut the fifteen and carom the three ball bank and hide behind the eight ball.

Billy what do ya think of that?

Bill, I also looked at that shot, and it could work out, however, that shot considering the position of the cue ball resting very near the rail could be hard to control the cue ball off of. If I were sure that I could control the cue ball I would shoot it. Just don't want to hit too high on the 3ball and get little movement with the 3ball, that could be bad. If I were confident that I could go into the middle of the 3ball I would shoot it in a heart beat.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
We are talking about THIS shot the way it lays. It was ROUTINE!!!!! I would love to play any of the guys even who liked kicking at the 7 ball.. Holy Shit
Routine!! The only thing routine about this shot if you shot it would be how high you would jump, every time you shot it.:lol

Dr. Bill

8andout

Verified Member
Scotts next shot?

Scotts next shot?

He would bank that solid in center table and draw the cueball off the side rail clearing the 8 for position on the 13, and then he runs out.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Where do you live?

Do you bet?

Bill S.

Bill,

His feet live in Florida but his belly lives in Georgia. You'd be disappointed gambling with him. If he bets more than $5 per game he has to beg stakehorses to put him in the box and if he loses a set he has to beg them all over again.

Dennis

bstroud

Verified Member
Bill,

His feet live in Florida but his belly lives in Georgia. You'd be disappointed gambling with him. If he bets more than $5 per game he has to beg stakehorses to put him in the box and if he loses a set he has to beg them all over again.

Dennis

Thanks,

Bill S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I think you're labeling the soft kick inaccurately when you say it's weak. It's not weak, it may be passive but not weak. It allows your opponent to make a mistake and it prevents you from making one as well. It buys time in a situation where many need time, unless you're a top player, or an aggressive one.

It's a very viable option for more players than you think, and you could be one of them.:sorry Not trying to disrespect your game it's just imo a viable shot in this situation. Now if the cue ball was off the rail a foot your shot now becomes the better shot for many more players, even me.

Dr. Bill

The kick on the 7 ball was as weak as SKIM MILK!!

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Bill,

Dennis

Denise please stay out of any thread when people might actually play.

Last edited by a moderator:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Thanks,

Bill S.

Whenever you would like to play Bill let me know.
Your Welcome
P.S. this site is sweet... who do you think I was hoping would reply when I said I would play anyone who liked kicking the 7 ball even? LOL

Last edited by a moderator: