Hard Times One Pocket Tournament

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
37 Players (my biggest 1P tournament ever) paid their entry fee ($20) for the $500 added (guaranteed 1st place $500), this last Saturday January 1st 2005.
37 players x $20 entry fee, plus $500 Added, Total Purse = $1,240.00

Roger Estelle, (Vacaville CA) and Billy Palmer (San Francisco, CA) battled for the Hot Seat. Billy proved too much for Roger and won easily.

Billy got to the 'Hot Seat' by besting (in order of matches played) Don Armstrong (Sacramento CA), Mark Haddad (Oakland, CA) Ed Ames (Bay Area, CA), Bart Mahoney (Sacramento CA) and finally, Roger Estelle.

Roger Estelle made to the finals of the winners side by defeating Joey Gebron (Sacramento CA), Pat McLeod (Sacramento CA), Ralph Juarez (Fresno, CA) and John Henderson (somewhere in Middle CA?) before meeting up with Billy Palmer.

The One loss side finals were between Roger Estelle and John Hederson after John defeated Mark Haddad.

Roger won a hard fought battle with John Henderson for the right to face Billy Palmer in the DE finals.

Billy won the first match of the finals to take the $500 first place prize.

2nd $250 Roger Estelle
3rd $160 John Henderson
4th $90 Mark Haddad
5th/6th $70 Ed Ames and Bart Mahoney
7th/8thj $50 Tinsley Johnson and Chris MacDonald

Sunday's 9 Ball event was a whopping 64 players. Total purse was $2300
1st $700 Tony Chohan (Tony came from the one loss side to beat Chris twice for the cheese)
2nd $350 Chris MacDonald
3rd $250 Tinsley Johnson
4th $190 Jim Fabionar
5th/6th $100 Tony Annigoni and Robert Aldana
7th/8th $90 Joey Gebron and Rudy Jerez
9th-12th $70 Billy Palmer, George Michaels, Jun Almoite, Brendan Crooks
13th-16th $50 Mark Haddad, Josh Palmer, Ralph Juarez, Roger Estelle.

Attached is a picture of John Henderson

Last edited:

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Thanks a bunch

Thanks a bunch

Thanks Tom, great job, I knew you could do it. Really surprised at how many showed up being New Years and the Pechauer in L.A. I mentioned it to Lee Wallick on Fri. nite(New Years) and he had nothing to do I guess so he went and had a great time. I did not think he was serious when he asked me to go that night before. Being New Years I was at the pool room late and would not have been in any shape to play after driving for 3 hours Sat. Glad it went great. By the way do you know the name of Bucktooths new place in Stockton, I guess he opened one. Have an address or phone nbr? Thanks a lot and I will try to make next tournament if I don't get too embarassed in Kentucky.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
congratulations!

congratulations!

SactownTom said:
37 Players (my biggest 1P tournament ever) ...
3rd $160 John Henderson
Attached is a picture of John Henderson
Hey, congratulations to jrhendy for third place!!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Roger Estelle

Roger Estelle

SactownTom said:
Billy won the first match of the finals to take the $500 first place prize.

2nd $250 Roger Estelle
3rd $160 John Henderson
4th $90 Mark Haddad
5th/6th $70 Ed Ames and Bart Mahoney
7th/8thj $50 Tinsley Johnson and Chris MacDonald

Hey Tom-- I didn't realize Roger Estelle played such strong one-pocket! When I lived out West he and I played about even 9-ball, but I wasn't playing much 1P then. I guess it's as Gerald Huber (Jungledude) says: when you turn 50, forget about 9-ball, and concentrate on one-hole; because you won't be able to beat anyone anymore...

I lost touch with Chris MacDonald when I left "the land of the fruits and nuts". Is he still with Barbara? If you have an Email address or other contact info, please send it to me at gulfportdoc@yahoo.com.

Congrats to John Henderson!

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
OLD AGE & TREACHERY

OLD AGE & TREACHERY

Just goes to show you old age & treachery does have a chance. Especially in one pocket in a race to two. What a way to start the new year. I get my one pocket fix by playing in these monthly tournaments. Some of my wins in this tournament were against players I wouldn't have much chance against in a longer race. I can still outmove most of them & beat them to the shot, but can't run the balls like I used to. This is a great, well run tournament. Tom keeps it moving & doesn't allow any B.S. from the players or spectators. We are playing on double shimmed Gold Crown Four's in a player friendly tournament room. Hard Times management & staff cater to the players and maintain top equipment to play on. If you are in Northern California don't miss a chance to check out the Hard Times pool room. And if your looking for action, you can get played, but not by this old guy. I only come around a couple of times a month, but there are plenty of young guns around looking to play.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Doc,
Roger is a regular at our weekly and monthly tournaments. He's a hoot and plays everyone tight.
Chris and Barbara are still together, living on the coast just north of San Francisco.
PM me for contact info.

gulfportdoc said:
Hey Tom-- I didn't realize Roger Estelle played such strong one-pocket!

I lost touch with Chris MacDonald when I left "the land of the fruits and nuts". Is he still with Barbara? If you have an Email address or other contact info, please send it to me at gulfportdoc@yahoo.com

Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Ernesto will be installing new rails and cloth next week. So, February's 1st of the Month One Pocket and 9 Ball tournaments will be on the NEW stuff. See ya Feb 4th for the One Pocket tournament.

Great seeing ya John, and what a great tournament you had.

jrhendy said:
Hard Times management & staff cater to the players and maintain top equipment to play on.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
suki,
Lee Wallick played great. He had the misfortune of pulling some strong players. But, Lee, kept them honest and they had to play their best to beat Lee.

Hope you make it soon.

Tom

suki said:
Thanks Tom, I mentioned it to Lee Wallick on Fri. nite(New Years) and he had nothing to do I guess so he went and had a great time.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
but?

but?

SactownTom said:
suki,
Lee Wallick played great. He had the misfortune of pulling some strong players. But, Lee, kept them honest and they had to play their best to beat Lee.

Hope you make it soon.

Tom

Do you have any info on Bucktooth's?

justnick

buckthooth

buckthooth

suki said:
Do you have any info on Bucktooth's?

he's in manteca about 65 mles fram sacramento ...209 824 1378 is the rooms number...

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
thanks

thanks

justnick said:
he's in manteca about 65 mles fram sacramento ...209 824 1378 is the rooms number...
Well thanks justnick but I thought he had opened a new room in Stockton,(new to Manteca) as I know the room in Manteca has been there for years and I thought his son was running it or did it go out of business. I thought I read this on the az forum about a new room.