Where is Rafael Martinez?

luv1pocket

Verified Member
Does anybody know where Rafael Martinez is. I have heard many people say he went back to Mexico because he wasn't feeling good and he is possibly dead. Anybody know anything from a reliable source?

Gerald

Verified Member
Morro and the other Mexican players at Hardtimes in Bellflower confirmed that he died in Mexico. However, based on other things I have read and rumors heard I am beginning to wonder. I just know that the last time I saw him playing at HT he did not look good at all.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Wow Raphael dead! I sure hope it's only a rumor. I had the chance to see him play at the Chicago billiard Cafe in the mid 80's in the weekly wednesday night tourneys it would boast a tremendous field including the likes of Efren Reyes, Billy Incardona, Boston Shorty on occasion and the usual suspects Tom Spencer, George Michaels, Rocketman, Mike Bandy, etc.
Raphael was a gifted and very scrappy player who was a delight to watch.
I also saw him play in ring 9-ball games at neighboring bars. He went on to play very strong in the pro ranks. Anyway I hope it's only a rumor.
Phil Welch

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Pay attention sir

Pay attention sir

philwelch said:
Wow Raphael dead! I sure hope it's only a rumor. I had the chance to see him play at the Chicago billiard Cafe in the mid 80's in the weekly wednesday night tourneys it would boast a tremendous field including the likes of Efren Reyes, Billy Incardona, Boston Shorty on occasion and the usual suspects Tom Spencer, George Michaels, Rocketman, Mike Bandy, etc.
I also saw him play in ring 9-ball games at neighboring bars. He went on to play very strong in the pro ranks. Anyway I hope it's only a rumor.
Phil Welch

Those threads are over a year old my man. Raphael has reappeared. He qualifified for the IPT in Oklahoma and should be in Vegas this week.
It was nice the rumor was just that, however he probably did go back to Mexico to recuperate as he did have serious stomach problem. Probably all that Menudo. LOL>

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
philwelch said:
Phil Welch

He's scheduled to play in the IPT opener this coming week

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Talk about a rumour that won't die! Although I don't know anyone who has the full story about why he left, he's definately not dead.

Rafael is not only alive, he's playing in the IPT 8-ball event at the Venetian this weekend which might be considered the biggest pool tourney in history. Three million bucks in the prize fund and $350,000 for first. He qualified to get in which means he's playing good,too.

Some clown in England actually first put the betting odds at 600-1 for Rafael to win. They have since gone down to 125-1.

I hope he does well. Seemed like a nice guy when he played in Northern California a couple years ago.

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
philwelch said:
Phil Welch

Rumors are what they are concidering her won a IPT qualifier and should be in Vegas today for the player meeting...

MisterBanker

Verified Member
He's hitting them pretty good for a dead guy...8-0 over the tournament as of this posting, with a match against Marco Marquez still to be played.
________
Bmw f650cs

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Does anybody know where Rafael Martinez is. I have heard many people say he went back to Mexico because he wasn't feeling good and he is possibly dead.

This thread is too good to pass up, and it's short:p.

luv1pocket, make up your mind, did he go back to Mexico because he wasn't feeling good or because he was dead?

RBL

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This thread is too good to pass up, and it's short:p.

luv1pocket, make up your mind, did he go back to Mexico because he wasn't feeling good or because he was dead?

RBL
I must have seen a ghost, lol, doing his thing at the US Open One Pocket last week:

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Marco is in Mexico playing three cushion billiards. He is called the snake. Watch out he will bite your ass.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I must have seen a ghost, lol, doing his thing at the US Open One Pocket last week:

Rafael is most definitely a fantastic player to watch and if he had more patience at the table he might be compared with the best I've ever seen. I watched a DCC match from 2001 against Daulton and Rafael got out of traps that Houdini would've died in:eek:. Definitely a great player.

Dennis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Rafael is most definitely a fantastic player to watch and if he had more patience at the table he might be compared with the best I've ever seen. I watched a DCC match from 2001 against Daulton and Rafael got out of traps that Houdini would've died in:eek:. Definitely a great player.

Dennis

I believe Lenny has a match recorded when Rafael played Sylver Ochoa at the West Coast Challenge last year. One of the most entertaining matches I have ever sweated. He uses his full arsenal of shots in this one.