scott efren 53

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
The vanilla shot is to roll off the 15 and tuck in behind the 5. I expect there is a sexier shot that I don't see here.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I think I would bank that ball (4 or 2 ball) up table across to my side, hoping to open up those frozen balls in front of my hole, while drawing the CB back against the top rail on his side.

If I succeed, I get another ball in the strike zone, open up the three already there, and pin him on the top rail.

He could be in trouble.
:heh:heh

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The vanilla shot is to roll off the 15 and tuck in behind the 5. I expect there is a sexier shot that I don't see here.
I like Frank's shot too. But your shot has real merit. I looked at that one right off. If the CB ends up dead behind the 5, it could be a game winner.

~Doc

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Open up these balls while sticking the cue ball into that little mitt.

View attachment 24109

I also like Frank Almanza's shot (that's one pocket!) especially if the angle and speed that the cue ball would be moving is minimal as it heads into the little mitt. The only caveat is that I would not want to move the stripe ball, even slightly, to my opponent's side (the stripe ball appears to be frozen to the eight ball in the little mitt) if possible.

baby huey

Verified Member
I've had this shot many a time and didn't really know what to do. I don't like any ticky tack safety and was trying to find something really productive. I fooled around with this shot and the key is that nothing currently lays good for your opponent except the five ball on the bottom rail. I tried the two rail kick into the five and make sure you catch that second rail which will push the five into the bottom balls by the stack and send the cueball back to the side rail and you should move something towards your pocket very safely.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've had this shot many a time and didn't really know what to do. I don't like any ticky tack safety and was trying to find something really productive. I fooled around with this shot and the key is that nothing currently lays good for your opponent except the five ball on the bottom rail. I tried the two rail kick into the five and make sure you catch that second rail which will push the five into the bottom balls by the stack and send the cueball back to the side rail and you should move something towards your pocket very safely.
I like your shot Jerry. (And yours too Barber)

The only other shot that I was looking at is to three-rail the 5 ball toward my own corner and letting the cue ball drift naturally up along Efren's side of the table. That 5 is the only ball that goes for Efren (aside from that dark ball at the far end that banks from some angles). I kind of like moving that to my own side, and sticking the cue ball on Efren's side. It also looks like nothing much banks cross corner for Efren -- unless you happen to get unlucky shooting the 5 and create a little window where something does go -- of course that can happen! But three-railing the 5 might also open up that cluster, or something else good could happen sending the 5 in my direction.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
scott efren 53

There is another shot here that ChicagoMike taught me at the derby a few years ago that I never would have known otherwise. It’s a stroke shot and could be highly effective here. You could actually one rail that four ball towards your hole with strong draw. The cue ball hits the back rail and comes straight down the long rail on his side. You can push balls to your hole and hide the cue behind the stack. Or leave the cue uptable on his side and let him deal with it. I also like Franks shot. Just wanted to point this out as another viable option.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I like your shot Jerry. (And yours too Barber)

The only other shot that I was looking at is to three-rail the 5 ball toward my own corner and letting the cue ball drift naturally up along Efren's side of the table. That 5 is the only ball that goes for Efren (aside from that dark ball at the far end that banks from some angles). I kind of like moving that to my own side, and sticking the cue ball on Efren's side. It also looks like nothing much banks cross corner for Efren -- unless you happen to get unlucky shooting the 5 and create a little window where something does go -- of course that can happen! But three-railing the 5 might also open up that cluster, or something else good could happen sending the 5 in my direction.

Nevermind lol -- I took my shot to a real table and that dark ball on the other end on Efren's side is directly in the path of where I want to three-rail the 5. And furthermore, the 5 being as close to the bottom rail and the cue ball being so close to the top rail, the "top stop" kills the cue ball right there. Maybe that part is OK but it is not quite what I saw in my mind. How come when I want to kill the cue ball with top stop, it drifts up and away, but when I want it to drift up and away it dies right there lol??

chicagomike

Verified Member
There is another shot here that ChicagoMike taught me at the derby a few years ago that I never would have known otherwise. It’s a stroke shot and could be highly effective here. You could actually one rail that four ball towards your hole with strong draw. The cue ball hits the back rail and comes straight down the long rail on his side. You can push balls to your hole and hide the cue behind the stack. Or leave the cue uptable on his side and let him deal with it. I also like Franks shot. Just wanted to point this out as another viable option.

Mitch...I swore you to totally secrecy on this one. It comes up sometimes and it's a powerful move and the stroke has to be groomed properly to execute. It's more of a "fun" shot for me, but has come up a time or two.

I really like Frank's shot as the nuts and Jerry's shot if I'm running good.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I think I would bank that ball (4 or 2 ball) up table across to my side, hoping to open up those frozen balls in front of my hole, while drawing the CB back against the top rail on his side.

If I succeed, I get another ball in the strike zone, open up the three already there, and pin him on the top rail.

He could be in trouble.
:heh:heh

Mitch,

Ha ha ha.... You mean like my post above...five posts ago?
:lol:lol

:D

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Mitch,

Ha ha ha.... You mean like my post above...five posts ago?
:lol:lol

:D

I don't think so:

Mitch's ChicagoMike shot: "cue ball hits the back rail and comes straight down the long rail on his side."

Darmoose shot: "drawing the CB back against the top rail on his side."

It sounds like the two shots are trying to leave the cueball at opposite ends of the table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well i guess scott decided like alot of you that the 2 balls tied up in his scoring zone would be a problem
even if scott got you by the 5 ball the balls tied up are still a problem for him
i like franks way of loosening them up
but i would be nervous depending how i landed into "the mitt"
i might leave something
scott decided to bank the 4 into the cluster as darmoose and mitch suggested but decided to go 3 rails to get behind the stack
he hit it alittle too hard
scott efren 53 shot.jpg

scott efren 53result.jpg

Cory in dc

Verified Member
well i guess scott decided like alot of you that the 2 balls tied up in his scoring zone would be a problem
even if scott got you by the 5 ball the balls tied up are still a problem for him
i like franks way of loosening them up
but i would be nervous depending how i landed into "the mitt"
i might leave something
scott decided to bank the 4 into the cluster as darmoose and mitch suggested but decided to go 3 rails to get behind the stack
he hit it alittle too hard

Did he hit it a little too hard, or get the angle a little wrong to get behind the 5?

Nice shot!