Plan of attack? or roll with the punches?

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
The last year or so I have been playing a TON of 1 pocket. I play all kinds of different guys who play vastly different styles. I would call my game aggressive....boardering on "this guy friggin shoots at anything!" The other day while playing I hit a bank to leave a ball by my side pocket to cut off part of the table from a return safety, and the guy asked if I meant to leave the ball there....I said yup and told him why. He said "all these years I've never thought to move balls to certain areas to cut off the table" He just played whatever shot came up infront of him....and he play pretty good!

So, do you guys plan an attack?....just play the table?.....just play to the guys weaknesses?....play your game ALL the time?......thanks,

Gerry

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well I try to plan, but I need a lot of contingency plans :)

Part of my planning is broad concepts like sending the balls up table if I have a big lead, or down table if I am behind. Mostly I am trying to improve my own situation, and limit what my opponent can do on their return shot, and a lot of that is just seat-of-the-pants once I see what they've left me.

I do believe that the better you execute, the more you should have a plan, though!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
100andout said:
So, do you guys plan an attack?....just play the table?.....just play to the guys weaknesses?....play your game ALL the time?......thanks,

Gerry

Hiya Gerry..........Complete, correct, one pocket play, is a matrix - to play one pocket at it's optimum level, is not to play any 'ONE WAY' - anybody doing that is too one dimensional.......To play one pocket correctly, every time you come to the table for your inning, you should have EVERY strategy, EVERY playing style, and EVERY option in your mind to choose from - all depending on what is the optimum choice for that particular situation....The second part is to identify the best choice and execute it - and that correct choice in any and every inning may be very aggressive or very safe, but whichever choice you make, it shouldn't be determined by your emotions or personality, it should be determined by an accurate assessment of ALL contributing factors: opponents tendencies/shot-making/pressure-handling, score, ball layout, table conditions, whose break it was, etc. etc......Sorry if I sound 'very sure of myself', but this is the way to play complete, optimum, one pocket....

....I wrote a lot more about this in a thread that I posted last March - here's the link in case you didn't see it, and would like to >>> http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1501

- Ghost

Last edited:

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
Thanx Ghost!....I went and read the link you gave me, and I REALLY like the way you explain how you play.

When I was first learning 1P I played guys who already were strong players so I NEVER tried to out move them, I couldn't in the begining. Instead I constantly moved balls to my hole to create pressure and pucker em up a little while trying not to sell out. Now, a year later I stole EVERY singe move I could from them and it's really paying off. I can come to the table and see a range of shots from super squeeze to Scott Frost! :D though I still need to pull the reigns in because I will shoot at anything...:(

I feel the most fun part of this game is the creativity to see and execute combo-banks, billiards, double-tickys, and moving multiple balls while leaving them on thier toes! thanks for yur imput.

Gerry

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
100andout said:
Thanx Ghost!....I went and read the link you gave me, and I REALLY like the way you explain how you play.

When I was first learning 1P I played guys who already were strong players so I NEVER tried to out move them, I couldn't in the begining. Instead I constantly moved balls to my hole to create pressure and pucker em up a little while trying not to sell out. Now, a year later I stole EVERY singe move I could from them and it's really paying off. I can come to the table and see a range of shots from super squeeze to Scott Frost! :D though I still need to pull the reigns in because I will shoot at anything...:(

I feel the most fun part of this game is the creativity to see and execute combo-banks, billiards, double-tickys, and moving multiple balls while leaving them on thier toes! thanks for yur imput.

Gerry

Shhhhhh!!! Don't be educating these guys about double tickeys. That is an advanced one pocket players secret. Most of them don't see a single tickey.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
Shhhhhh!!! Don't be educating these guys about double tickeys. That is an advanced one pocket players secret. Most of them don't see a single tickey.
Is that what they mean when they say, "No tickey, no laundry?" <groan>

Doc

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
jrhendy said:

Sorry jr!.... I got carried away ;)

Gerry