Arg! Gave the set away!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sitting here Monday morning frustrated because yesterday I went out to play and although I played pretty well for most of the day, I fell apart at the end and ended up giving the set away.

I am getting 9-7 and I get to break 2 out of 3 times. So I break twice in a row then he gets to break. This pattern continues for the duration of the set. Race to 4 for $100.

I play jam up the first set and win 4-0. He wants to adjust to straight up 9-7 I agree because I was hitting them good and I felt like I had him broke down so sure, I will take some more money...

Second set I end up 3-2 in games, I am on the hill. I need 1 ball, he needs 4 and somehow I find a way to lose. Tied up hill-hill. Gets down to where I need 1 again and this time he needs 5. I am already celebrating in my head. There;'s no way I can lose from here, right? Wrong! A few bad shots later and an hour or so of time and I end up giving him back his $100 to break even for the day. I dont know about you guys but I would much rather get steam rolled than to have the win in my hands and just give the damn thing away, sooo frustrating!!! Ok..I digress...

Instead of posting multiple WWYD threads, I wanted to post 2 different shots in this thread that happened at the very end of the last game to get your opinions. After it was over I had a couple of good players (both who spot me 9-6) tell me what I "should" have done and now I can see I would have been much better off doing what they suggested, Dont know why I didnt think of them during the game.

So without further ado, here are the 2 mini WWYD's:

Last game, hill-hill, my pocket is upper right. I need 1 ball for the cheese. It's my shot in both diagrams.

WWYD - A

WWYD - B

I will tell you what I did later today in both A & B after I see some replies.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Sitting here Monday morning frustrated because yesterday I went out to play and although I played pretty well for most of the day, I fell apart at the end and ended up giving the set away.

I am getting 9-7 and I get to break 2 out of 3 times. So I break twice in a row then he gets to break. This pattern continues for the duration of the set. Race to 4 for $100.

I play jam up the first set and win 4-0. He wants to adjust to straight up 9-7 I agree because I was hitting them good and I felt like I had him broke down so sure, I will take some more money...

Second set I end up 3-2 in games, I am on the hill. I need 1 ball, he needs 4 and somehow I find a way to lose. Tied up hill-hill. Gets down to where I need 1 again and this time he needs 5. I am already celebrating in my head. There;'s no way I can lose from here, right? Wrong! A few bad shots later and an hour or so of time and I end up giving him back his $100 to break even for the day. I dont know about you guys but I would much rather get steam rolled than to have the win in my hands and just give the damn thing away, sooo frustrating!!! Ok..I digress...

Instead of posting multiple WWYD threads, I wanted to post 2 different shots in this thread that happened at the very end of the last game to get your opinions. After it was over I had a couple of good players (both who spot me 9-6) tell me what I "should" have done and now I can see I would have been much better off doing what they suggested, Dont know why I didnt think of them during the game.

Last game, hill-hill, my pocket is upper right. I need 1 ball for the cheese. It's my shot in both diagrams.

WWYD - A

WWYD - B

(A) kick the 11 in
(B) high lhe with the speed to 3 rail the OB to the up table corner pocket on your side of the table, CB off the top rail coming up near the side pocket on his side of the table...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Arg! Gave the set away!

I'm shooting on both of these. First one i think I'm kicking the 3 in. Second one I'm playing the two railer (hard enough not to leave the bank). (You could also play the two rail kick it looks like).

Sorry about the loss. Yeah sometime a tie feels like a loss. Just do what you're doing and learn from it.

Last edited:

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
A) if the object ball isn't too deep in his pocket, I like the kick off the foot rail, cross the 13 to your side and leave the cue at the head rail. Kind of a shallow approach angle for this shot, though...

B) the two-railer makes me nervous. Seems from the diagram that you're either going to have to use rhe or cut it left or both to make the 11 go - either of which seem like they're going to swing the cue around and give up a potential cross corner if you play the shot pocket speed.
Maybe just brush the right side of the 11, and bring the cue back to your side rail?

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

WWYD - A

WWYD - B

In exhibit A if the 3ball is frozen and I can get the ball out in my opponents pocket i'm leaning on taking the ball out of my opponents pocket but it's a close decision. If the 3ball is frozen and I can't take the ball out of my opponents pocket i'm kicking at the 3ball.

If the 3ball is off the rail at least 1/8" and I can take the ball out of my opponents pocket, i'm kicking at the 3ball.

In exhibit B i'm cutting the ob to the left using a slow roll speed.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm playing "safe" on both.

A. 1/2 ball hit on the pocket side of the 13 to double-kiss it away;

B. Slow-rolling onto the right side of the 11.

The reason I don't kick at the 11 in A is that it looks like it takes a little LHE, and my accuracy would suffer a lot if that's true. Hit it bad and it might come up where it can be banked after he makes the 13.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the replies!

So for A I tried to do what doctor bill suggested and take the 13 out. It was too far deep in the pocket or I just hit it bad but I ended up just making it for him and the CB went up table.

If I had to shoot it over again I would for sure have kicked the 11 in, don't know how I did not see that shot! If hit bad I could leave him a bank though and I lose the game so key here is pocket speed, no spin and hit it true.

On B, I must have just had a major brain fart. I actually hit the left side of the 11 trying to bring it back on my side and then run the CB a few rails around to the bottom rail, something like this:

Not only was it the wrong shot but I hit it bad and ended up leaving him almost a straight in 1 rail long at his pocket for the cheese...

If I had ot do this one over again I would have either shot Bill's shot of thinning the 11 on the right hand side and coming back down table or Jeff's shot which I have executed many times...

Live and learn I suppose...