Does Rafael Still Play?

El Chapo

Verified Member
Did you know "The Rattlesnake"??? He's gone, I guess.. I liked him better. I don't mean to derail thread.. I'm going to watch that match of yours now.. I never had seen it..

That is crazy you brought that up. When i was playing a lot he was always around and man if there was ever an unsung pool player. His cueball was about as good as anyone's, and man i mean anyones. There is no doubt he was one of my all time favorite players. So calm, never let anything get to him, player really smart, great shotmaker, and a cb from hell. I am telling you half the guys that have gotten broght up lately i habe no idea how they didnt reach the likes of say buddy hall status.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
That is crazy you brought that up. When i was playing a lot he was always around and man if there was ever an unsung pool player. His cueball was about as good as anyone's, and man i mean anyones. There is no doubt he was one of my all time favorite players. So calm, never let anything get to him, player really smart, great shotmaker, and a cb from hell. I am telling you half the guys that have gotten broght up lately i habe no idea how they didnt reach the likes of say buddy hall status.

I didn't realize you knew him. I knew Jay and Bill and a bunch of old heads did. Some guys make an impression.. He's a little like Morra.. Quiet like a knife. Just watched Morra play an entire match LEFT HANDED.. He has switched up.. He was a great Righty.. It was a Canadian Championship of some kind and opponent was Jason Klatt.. He didn't win but won some games.. Lordy Lord..

El Chapo

Verified Member
I didn't realize you knew him. I knew Jay and Bill and a bunch of old heads did. Some guys make an impression.. He's a little like Morra.. Quiet like a knife. Just watched Morra play an entire match LEFT HANDED.. He has switched up.. He was a great Righty.. It was a Canadian Championship of some kind and opponent was Jason Klatt.. He didn't win but won some games.. Lordy Lord..

Yes. I didn't know him but watched him play a bunch. He was one of these guys that could touch the cueball on a long shot on old cloth and he had the ability to just spring the thing back somehow.

I am telling you, maybe jay or someone can confirm, if the world was a fair place that guy woulda been top ten in the world for a while there. Maybe i am wrong but that is how i saw things. I think the ability was there no doubt but he probably needed a bit more seasoning. I was right in the mix of things when busty came to the usa initially, and andam (who came over later as far as i knew) impressed me as much as busty for sure. If you designed the perfect player he was close because nothing ever rattled him. He could miss a hanger hill hill snd i swear to you he would walk to his seat like it was nothing and his next inning play lights out.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Does Rafael Still Play?

My first year at the Derby I had just arrived and walked into the action room. A nefarious guy from my area (Mike Lebron) was there and he said “Hey Mitch, play a few games with my friend here. This is Rafael” At the time I didn’t know who he was, just someone good lol. We played for about an hour and he couldn’t have been friendlier and he has said Hello whenever I’ve seen him since. Nice guy in my book.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My first year at the Derby I had just arrived and walked into the action room. A nefarious guy from my area (Mike Lebron) was there and he said “Hey Mitch, play a few games with my friend here. This is Rafael” At the time I didn’t know who he was, just someone good lol. We played for about an hour and he couldn’t have been friendlier and he has said Hello whenever I’ve seen him since. Nice guy in my book.
Mitch, is "Spanish" Mike still playing? He's in his 80s now, so I hope his health is good. I got to know him pretty well in Reno in the '90s when they had the old Sands Regency Open events. Nicest, friendliest guy in the world. At one time he was a feared 9-baller.

~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Does Rafael Still Play?

Mitch, is "Spanish" Mike still playing? He's in his 80s now, so I hope his health is good. I got to know him pretty well in Reno in the '90s when they had the old Sands Regency Open events. Nicest, friendliest guy in the world. At one time he was a feared 9-baller.

~Doc

Doc I haven’t seen Mike in a couple of years and I don’t think he is playing. Even when I used to see him at Takony Billards (which closed) he was only playing about once every few months. I have heard how good he used to be but by the time I met him his actual play was stopping so I missed that. Back in the day he used to bring the monsters (Efren and Busty) into Takony and they would gamble the room owner (Jim Hill) for huge numbers. I’m sorry I missed that action as well.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I remember the first Accu-Stat tape I bought was Lebron beating a young Johnny Archer who was trying hard to take his first major. The Glass City Open ,Toledo.. He played lights out..

jay helfert

Verified Member
Yes. I didn't know him but watched him play a bunch. He was one of these guys that could touch the cueball on a long shot on old cloth and he had the ability to just spring the thing back somehow.

I am telling you, maybe jay or someone can confirm, if the world was a fair place that guy woulda been top ten in the world for a while there. Maybe i am wrong but that is how i saw things. I think the ability was there no doubt but he probably needed a bit more seasoning. I was right in the mix of things when busty came to the usa initially, and andam (who came over later as far as i knew) impressed me as much as busty for sure. If you designed the perfect player he was close because nothing ever rattled him. He could miss a hanger hill hill snd i swear to you he would walk to his seat like it was nothing and his next inning play lights out.

Andam was what they call a Tier One player in the Philippines, the highest rating they have over there. Tier ratings have to earned by playing money games with other players. Usually there are only five or six Tier One players in the Philippines at any one time. Andam was right up there with Efren, Bustie and Luat at the top of the heap! Players like Lining, Gallego and Manalo were all Tier Two, although Marlon was later to achieve Tier One status.