Double hitting q ball

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
While playing today, the shooter tips the cue ball and continues to draw the cue back and shoots for his pocket. Foul was called for the tipping of the cue ball. The question that came up is what happens to the object ball that just hung up in the pocket. Does the object ball get restored to it's original position. Cue ball plays were it lays. Thanks in advance.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Good question and I'll be waiting for the responses.
I would think that it's just a foul and balls stay where they lay. If's that's the case then I would like to learn how to do this with control.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
This would fall under rule 6.6 of our Official OP Rules. To physically contact the cue ball and then re-contact it once again is intentionally illegally stroking the cue ball to direct it. Therefore it is a foul resulting in opponent either excepting the table as is or having the balls restored. Note; If I am not correct about this, it is because the word and only this word is used; 'technique'. I think it should be 'technique and illegal stroke'. Illegal technique usually depicts using the side of the cue, or uplifting the cue to graze the cue ball, something that is not a forward motion of the cue.

Why it is an intentional; because it is obvious to the shooter that they initially contacted the cue ball and they then willfully re-contacted the cue ball once again. A double hit of this nature takes the initial contact plus rearing the stroke back once again and then bringing it once again forward to re-stroke the cue again. This is quite different than a double hit which is one stroke, although that also in some instances, I would think could be an intentional illegal wedge or trap of the cue ball when it concerns burying it into the stack, or trapping it in a pocket, against a rail, or behind a ball, and so forth.
If the illegal technique is severe enough then the referee can impose more stringent penalties.
I would like to see this rule also include a ball in hand option.

It is funny about an intentional trap or wedge, how do you know it is intention, so therefore every illegally stroke or technique should be treated as an intentional. Say I have an object ball close to the foot rail with the cue ball close to it, and I skim the object ball but I allow my cue stick to come through and re-hit the cue ball and thus trapping it there by the object ball, now both balls are by the rail and leaving my opponent helpless. To me this is illegal trapping of the cue ball and should fall under rule 6.6. Plus you are impeding the natural roll and path of the cue ball, in which I think should also have a BIH option. Whitey

Last edited:

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
This would fall under rule 6.6 of our Official OP Rules. To physically contact the cue ball and then re-contact it once again is intentionally illegally stroking the cue ball to direct it. Therefore it is a foul resulting in opponent either excepting the table as is or having the balls restored. Note; If I am not correct about this, it is because the word and only this word is used; 'technique'. I think it should be 'technique and illegal stroke'. Illegal technique usually depicts using the side of the cue, or uplifting the cue to graze the cue ball, something that is not a forward motion of the cue.

Why it is an intentional; because it is obvious to the shooter that they initially contacted the cue ball and they then willfully re-contacted the cue ball once again. A double hit of this nature takes the initial contact plus rearing the stroke back once again and then bringing it once again forward to re-stroke the cue again. This is quite different than a double hit which is one stroke, although that also in some instances, I would think could be an intentional illegal wedge or trap of the cue ball when it concerns burying it into the stack, or trapping it in a pocket, against a rail, or behind a ball, and so forth.
If the illegal technique is severe enough then the referee can impose more stringent penalties.
I would like to see this rule also include a ball in hand option.

It is funny about an intentional trap or wedge, how do you know it is intention, so therefore every illegally stroke or technique should be treated as an intentional. Say I have an object ball close to the foot rail with the cue ball close to it, and I skim the object ball but I allow my cue stick to come through and re-hit the cue ball and thus trapping it there by the object ball, now both balls are by the rail and leaving my opponent helpless. To me this is illegal trapping of the cue ball and should fall under rule 6.6. Plus you are impeding the natural roll and path of the cue ball, in which I think should also have a BIH option. Whitey

Thanks Whitey,

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Hitting the que ball after knowingly hitting the que ball could be contused as giving up the game. Loss of game. What are we beginners?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
While playing today, the shooter tips the cue ball and continues to draw the cue back and shoots for his pocket. Foul was called for the tipping of the cue ball. The question that came up is what happens to the object ball that just hung up in the pocket. Does the object ball get restored to it's original position. Cue ball plays were it lays. Thanks in advance.

hey pal....you playing in philly?