Hayden Lingo's OP Pamphlet

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hayden Lingo in 1963 published a pamphlet; 'How to Play One Pocket in Pocket Billiards'. It is registered with the Library of Congress.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Other than the very general depiction of '61 Jansco OP, this for me, would be the first written information on One Pocket, and an important archive for OP.org to acquire and have the document accessible.
thanks, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I expect Mike Shamos or Bob Jewett would have a copy of that. You might be able to inquire to them through AZbilliards.

~Doc
Thanks Doc, I am not a member of AZBilliards, so maybe someone else can easily contact them. But, I use to correspond with Shamos through e-mails, so I'll try that, and Jewett I believe I can get a message to him through Dr. Dave.
I was able to pull up some texts of billiard books, like Phelan's from the Library of Congress, but still unable to pull up Lingo's. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Doc, I am not a member of AZBilliards, so maybe someone else can easily contact them. But, I use to correspond with Shamos through e-mails, so I'll try that, and Jewett I believe I can get a message to him through Dr. Dave.
I was able to pull up some texts of billiard books, like Phelan's from the Library of Congress, but still unable to pull up Lingo's. Whitey

I'll contact Bob J for you.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bob jewetts response to me
"The LOC does not seem to have a copy according to their on-line card catalog. So far as I can tell, it exists only on the list of copyrighted publications."

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
bob jewetts response to me
"The LOC does not seem to have a copy according to their on-line card catalog. So far as I can tell, it exists only on the list of copyrighted publications."

You're too quick for me :)

Bob's response: I've never seen one or heard of one. It is not in the LOC's card catalog of current holdings. I think at that time they got copies of all copyrighted material but may have discarded it. It is not listed in the two large billiard bibliographies.

I's like one, too. -- Bob

(same info as Larry's)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well it does lend credence to the rumors that Lingo had written a "book" or at least had a collection of writings. I've heard that mentioned before, but this is the first time I have heard of a LOC listing -- wow!!!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I found a few sites, such as Wikipedia, that states Hayden Lingo's Pamphlet is preserved in the Library of Congress.
Here is the listing: Hayden W. Lingo, How to Play One Pocket in Pocket Billiards. 13 1.; 3 April 1963; pamphlet A620112.
I have not contacted the LoC as of yet! Thanks for all of the responses and efforts put forth so far, this is great. Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have delved a little farther into the LOC filing system and the updated online computer Card Catalog was done by a private company. 1st. filing system Marc is from '68 forward, is fairly complete, but the 2nd. PREMARC filing system is up to 1980 and mainly deals with the Old Card Catalog is incomplete in many aspects. It states that literally 1000's of filings from the Old Card Catalog were not filed and are not represented on their online card catalog, or represented incorrectly, thus hard to locate.

So I have concluded at this point that Lingo's pamphlet could very well be preserved at the LOC. The LOC 'Physical' Old Card Catalog as with any library is accessible, but, it appears the only way to access this is to actually go to LOC. Anyone interested in going on line and search finding and helping out, it would sure be a help. Going to LOC and taking a photocopy is allowed.

I've sent off an e-mail to M. Shamos, waiting for a reply. Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, you're really staying on top of this, Whitey! I'd be surprised if Shamos doesn't have some input on this one.

We may have a guy or two who lives in D.C. or Arlington. Perhaps Tom Wirth knows someone. Actually JAM would probably be a good resource. She lives in the area and might be real familiar with the LOC due to the general nature of her work. I'll send her an Email to point her to this thread.

It probably would be a pain in the neck to make a physical trip to the LOC in order to make a photocopy, but someone might be up to it.

~Doc

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I wonder what this would be worth if someone had one.

I might have to look in the boxes and put one up for the highest bid.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Well, you're really staying on top of this, Whitey! I'd be surprised if Shamos doesn't have some input on this one.

We may have a guy or two who lives in D.C. or Arlington. Perhaps Tom Wirth knows someone. Actually JAM would probably be a good resource. She lives in the area and might be real familiar with the LOC due to the general nature of her work. I'll send her an Email to point her to this thread.

It probably would be a pain in the neck to make a physical trip to the LOC in order to make a photocopy, but someone might be up to it.

~Doc
Of course the fact that Lingo's Pamphlet maybe preserved at the DOC is only based upon a few sites, like Wikipedia that states this. We do not have any actual proof as of yet to confirm this. Thanks very much in contacting members that may want to actually go to DOC, but I want them to know it is just a maybe.
I'll try and contact DOC either by phone or other methods, to find out some answers. thanks, Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thats great.:)
i had to get a library card to get my local library to see if they could get it to my library for me to review.
will keep you posted if i get to see it

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I would think you should be able to go to one of the larger library’s in San Francisco, New York, and find a listing but how would that help you find the pamphlet? Don’t you live close to Medford? Is there a pool room close? What about a nice vacation get away during the day? Vacation during the day, pool st night.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I would think you should be able to go to one of the larger library’s in San Francisco, New York, and find a listing but how would that help you find the pamphlet? Don’t you live close to Medford? Is there a pool room close? What about a nice vacation get away during the day? Vacation during the day, pool st night.
Medford is a good central meeting place for players from N. Cal. to central Or. I believe their tables are pretty good, w/ one table being a Diamond w/ fairly tight pockets. I have not been there in awhile, but it is more of traditional pool hall, except now I have heard that they now have gambling machines.
The old guys in there mainly play 14.1 for they have a 14.1 league, but some OP is played but played at, and not really playing OP at a higher level. Whitey

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I was under the impression it would be a small pamphlet like Allen Gilberts or Bob Jewetts or the Cannefax Charts , from the new information I have , it seems like it was a 600 page book of One pocket knowledge.
Whee doggies.
I really doubt it was ever published, he probably applied for a copyright , which would be the reason the LOC would have it registered , I believe you have to send them a copy of the book , so one may exist if it went there.
I, for one , hope a copy survived, I guess the LOC is the best bet right now, if they can find it!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I was under the impression it would be a small pamphlet like Allen Gilberts or Bob Jewetts or the Cannefax Charts , from the new information I have , it seems like it was a 600 page book of One pocket knowledge.
Whee doggies.
I really doubt it was ever published, he probably applied for a copyright , which would be the reason the LOC would have it registered , I believe you have to send them a copy of the book , so one may exist if it went there.
I, for one , hope a copy survived, I guess the LOC is the best bet right now, if they can find it!

where did you get that info??

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Anyone asked Victor Stein? He did the Billiards Encyclopedia way back when. He may or may not have run into info on this while researching his books.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
For me the LoC was a dead end, they told me that back then, they only held onto material like this for a few years, and then it was discarded.
Sad to think it ended up that way , but unless the heirs have a copy , I doubt it will ever surface.