Missing ball in hand in one pocket

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
So, the shot is tough already, right? Now, we throw in pulling shape with proper speed, angle and English. That makes the shot harder, for sure, but perhaps more importantly, it divides your attention. No longer are you solely just focused on pocketing the ball. Now you've got to pocket it, account for deflection, throw, speed, all that stuff.

I believe years ago when I was having this problem, it was because of the things you mentioned. As I spent more time making the ball it went away.
Today with ball in hand on my game ball, I still cinch the shot and never try to play the CB safe. I'm now very comfortable with making the ball and my percentage is very high.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Mitch here is an exercise or game I played by myself to help me solve getting shape with BIH and bringing down the odds of me missing.

Spot 2 balls frozen on the spot. Take ball in hand in the kitchen and have an object ball on your side of the table about a foot from the kitchen line. Pocket that ball and try to break open the spotted balls for shape.

You will develop a keener sense of the correct angle to come off the object ball and speed to open up the cluster. Try to just gently open them up. Sort of like a straight rail billiard shot. Shooting with the correct speed also helps you to pocket the OB.

Above all, as my friend Diliberto says, "whatever you do, do not miss". In other words try to establish the angle you want and focus on cinching the ball.
Once you establish all these components you take all the negative thoughts that get in the way. The more you do the better you get at it.

Of course this helped me and I don't prescribe it for all players. Im not a teacher and I don't think I know better than anyone else. It just works for me.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Mitch here is an exercise or game I played by myself to help me solve getting shape with BIH and bringing down the odds of me missing.

Spot 2 balls frozen on the spot. Take ball in hand in the kitchen and have an object ball on your side of the table about a foot from the kitchen line. Pocket that ball and try to break open the spotted balls for shape.

You will develop a keener sense of the correct angle to come off the object ball and speed to open up the cluster. Try to just gently open them up. Sort of like a straight rail billiard shot. Shooting with the correct speed also helps you to pocket the OB.

Above all, as my friend Diliberto says, "whatever you do, do not miss". In other words try to establish the angle you want and focus on cinching the ball.
Once you establish all these components you take all the negative thoughts that get in the way. The more you do the better you get at it.

Of course this helped me and I don't prescribe it for all players. Im not a teacher and I don't think I know better than anyone else. It just works for me.

It's a good plan, I'm now comfortable that I'll make the ball while trying to open balls on the spot.

baby huey

Verified Member
Missing with ball in hand happens all the time. An old pool hustler who I knew told me that in one pocket always attempt to hit the object ball to a specific spot and really pay attention to doing that. In that way you don't get yourself out of stroke and miss when the golden opportunity arrises. Bunting all the time can and does get you out of stroke and you have to find ways to combat that part of your game.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I had it bad, I was having trouble pocketing balls to begin with, from not playing for many years, and when it was ball in hand, I was missing more often than not.
I started doing some of Joe Tuckers drills and after a month or so, I was almost always making the shot with ball in hand.
We get so used to making balls in the normal fashion{after someone misses or plays safe, and they are usually not real easy shots, that when the routine changes,{ball in hand} we have to remember to stay focused, just like it was a difficult shot?
The drills showed me that any shot is missable, if you aren't focused, and after I learned to focus again, even on easy shots, they gave me the confidence that is needed to stroke the ball correctly on every shot.
At least, that's how I felt about my situation.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Thank you Billy! And Jerry!

I need to read this thread daily for a time and practice. I played a guy yesterday for 100 a game and still missed 1 out of 2 BIH shots. Ugh.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Let's take this idea all the way - have your wife on hand (which is always a good idea when you're gambling anyway) and have her tell you you'll never get laid again if you rattle that 7 footer up the rail. Should do the trick.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Let's take this idea all the way - have your wife on hand (which is always a good idea when you're gambling anyway) and have her tell you you'll never get laid again if you rattle that 7 footer up the rail. Should do the trick.
have your wife on hand (which is always a good idea when you're gambling anyway)
dan cant say i agree with this.....:sorry

have her tell you you'll never get laid again if you rattle that 7 footer up the rail.
again i think positive incentives are better than negative ones
like tell your self to hit over the water trap not ...dont hit it into the water
so............
if you have your wife there have her tell you
MAKE THIS AND YOU GET WHATEVER YO WANT.....:eek:
personally speaking that would make me try harder
just sayin....:D
icbw....:heh

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Mitch, I don't know if this will help - you probably already know it anyway - but this is how I approach BIH and game ball shots where all I need to do is cinch it.

Line up in the center of the cb and aim your tip at the spot on the ob you'd need to hit if you were just standing in front of the ob and shooting it in. Then just fire at that spot on the ob. Forget all about the cb. The ob will go.

There are angle limitations, like with back cuts, but with BIH you can choose an angle where it will work and possibly get shape for another shot. This method really simplifies making a pressure shot and works great at least for me.

Try it out. Throw some balls out and shoot them in from the kitchen. You can get to nearly 100% with this method and it only takes a couple of minutes to master. Plus, it works at all distances - no more fear of dogging long shots.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The best solution I've ever seen...

Three guys who grossly over-spotted me and almost went broke, later became champions.

I'd highly recommend this method to you.

No, really. In fact, I'll give you an Oklahoma guarantee!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Mitch, I don't know if this will help - you probably already know it anyway - but this is how I approach BIH and game ball shots where all I need to do is cinch it.

Line up in the center of the cb and aim your tip at the spot on the ob you'd need to hit if you were just standing in front of the ob and shooting it in. Then just fire at that spot on the ob. Forget all about the cb. The ob will go.

There are angle limitations, like with back cuts, but with BIH you can choose an angle where it will work and possibly get shape for another shot. This method really simplifies making a pressure shot and works great at least for me.

Try it out. Throw some balls out and shoot them in from the kitchen. You can get to nearly 100% with this method and it only takes a couple of minutes to master. Plus, it works at all distances - no more fear of dogging long shots.

Skin - thanks. I have never heard this before. I will try it. Hopefully I'll get to hit balls tomorrow.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
have your wife on hand (which is always a good idea when you're gambling anyway)

have her tell you you'll never get laid again if you rattle that 7 footer up the rail.
like tell your self to hit over the water trap not ...dont hit it into the water
so............
MAKE THIS AND YOU GET A B.J......:eek:
I like this better too Larry :D

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

so............

MAKE THIS AND YOU GET A B.J......:eek:

First of all you degenerates.... My wife doesn't even know I play pool... 😂😂😂😂

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Skin: Thank you!!! I messed with this today and it was pretty remarkable. Also- I could put the OB anywhere in between the headstring and the pocket to practice this and it worked the same. Also high, center, or draw. Additionally there is an added benefit IMO. I can see this drill helping to ensure a straight stroke.

Thank you again man. That was with the price of admission! Hopefully you are getting to the derby and I can buy you a drink or a meal in thanks.

Skin

Verified Member
Skin: Thank you!!! I messed with this today and it was pretty remarkable. Also- I could put the OB anywhere in between the headstring and the pocket to practice this and it worked the same. Also high, center, or draw. Additionally there is an added benefit IMO. I can see this drill helping to ensure a straight stroke.

Thank you again man. That was with the price of admission! Hopefully you are getting to the derby and I can buy you a drink or a meal in thanks.

Mitch, that's great. I hope it helps you in a game. I won't be at DCC, but I sure would take you up on the offer and your company if I were.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Mitch, that's great. I hope it helps you in a game. I won't be at DCC, but I sure would take you up on the offer and your company if I were.

Skin-

I have to confess....

After I wrote my post and quoted you, I Reread your post... And realized that I misread it and missed most of the benefit of it. Doh! (I hereby give up my smart moniker lol) I shot all straight in shots toda from behind the headstring. Different locations and distances, but all dead straight ins. I looked at the pocket beyond the ball and fired right at the pocket, ignoring the OB. As I said it worked extremely well. That's why I commented about it straightening my stroke out. And about shooting them with draw, etc. It was still an excellent exercise, which I never would have undertaken without your post lol. Next time I will actually try what you suggested. What a maroon. Lol.

I still owe you one.