Full vs. short rack bank pool

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
This is a question for experienced bank pool players. What do you see as the major differences between a game played with a full rack vs. a short rack? For example, I've been told that 2 and 3 rail shots are more prevalent in the full rack game.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is a question for experienced bank pool players. What do you see as the major differences between a game played with a full rack vs. a short rack? For example, I've been told that 2 and 3 rail shots are more prevalent in the full rack game.

Major differences between short-rack & full-rack banks:

1. More balls on the table in full-rack, fewer shots given up & the "mover" has the advantage over the "shooter".

2. "Shooter" can win at short-rack where he may need weight at full-rack.

3. The better all-around player usually wins at full-rack.

That's 3 differences for starters.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Major differences between short-rack & full-rack banks:<-- Where, you MORON ???

1. More balls, in full-rack, fewer shots given up & the "mover" has the advantage over the "shooter"--Advantage, Duck !

2. "Shooter" can win at short-rack where he may need weight at full-rack.--Advantage Duck !

3. The better all-around player usually wins at full-rack.--Advantage, Duck

That's 3 differences for starters. <--I don't see any difference at all...:cool: :cool: :cool:

Dennis

.............What an IDIOT...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Major differences between short-rack & full-rack banks:

1. More balls on the table in full-rack, fewer shots given up & the "mover" has the advantage over the "shooter".

2. "Shooter" can win at short-rack where he may need weight at full-rack.

3. The better all-around player usually wins at full-rack.

That's 3 differences for starters.

Dennis

That sums it up pretty well. For example, in Chicago 9 ball rack banks is an oddity here. It is seldom played. How do you think we got to where we move so well?

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
One major difference is the break.In short rack you have to spray and pray (bust em wide open).Not so In full rack. With full rack I like to play you have to bank a ball before you can shoot again too. ie: you can't bust em wide open,make a ball and keep shootin. John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
In short rack you have to spray and pray (bust em wide open).

Dear "played in too many tournaments" Breath,

Most of us think of gambling situations when a question like this is asked. You do not "have to" open-break playing short-rack banks.

I thought we had this conversation already:frus.

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dear "played in too many tournaments" Breath,

Most of us think of gambling situations when a question like this is asked. You do not "have to" open-break playing short-rack banks.

I thought we had this conversation already:frus.

RBL

:frus Whatever.John B.

backplaying

Verified Member
One major difference is the break.In short rack you have to spray and pray (bust em wide open).Not so In full rack. With full rack I like to play you have to bank a ball before you can shoot again too. ie: you can't bust em wide open,make a ball and keep shootin. John B.

I haven't played much bank in the last 25 years, but I always hit the second ball playing the wing ball in short rack banks, and playing shape for across the side bank. Do most not let you do this? When I played Eric Derbin at Cape with the break, this is how I broke them and he no chance!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I haven't played much bank in the last 25 years, but I always hit the second ball playing the wing ball in short rack banks, and playing shape for across the side bank. Do most not let you do this? When I played Eric Derbin at Cape with the break, this is how I broke them and he no chance!

That break, favored by Buddy Hall, is not allowed in bank tournaments.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Right you are, Beard. From DCC rules:

Legal Break: A legal break requires you to strike the head ball first and drive at least one object ball past the side pockets. If your break is illegal, the opponent may either accept the table in position or require you to break again.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
BTW, I see that a guy named Alvis Fitch finished tied for 4th in the banks at the last DCC, and also did very well in the 9-ball. Is he an up-and-comer, or has he been around awhile?

Doc