Four Types Of 1P Shots (redux)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I think it's about time for this to be brought back from the dead. It's from 2009 and I will post the link to the original thread and I will also post my favorite response (from AB) in this thread:p.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said that if I remembered on Monday, that I would post my own (whacky) theory on one aspect of the game. Well I remembered and you're all in trouble now. Let's just hope this thread does not devolve into name calling and insults being hurled. I'll start by saying that the break is the fifth type of shot. That way no one has to point it out to me. As I see it, the four types of one-pocket shots are:

1. Offensive. These are running balls in your pocket with no regard to playing safe if you should miss. These are shots that you fully expect to make and should make, no matter the game or opponent.

2. Defensive. These are purely defense. You are in trouble and must get out of it. There are no other opportunities except to prolong the game another inning. Or you may not be in trouble but there's still nothing to do that can help you at all. 100% defense.

3. Offensive-Defensive. These are shots that you are sending toward your pocket, but they are difficult shots, so you are playing the cueball safe if you should miss because the odds of missing are high. These are primarily offensive and secondarily defensive shots.

4. Defensive-Offensive. The main purpose of these shots is to play safe. But you also have an opportunity to send something towards your pocket in the process. Again, primarily defensive and secondarily offensive. If something drops in your pocket on this type of shot it's a bonus but not entirely unexpected.

Now for my whacky theory that forces me to shoot the right shot(for me), no matter the game, opponent, bet, winning-losing status, or anything else. And before I tell it, I'll say one more thing. It takes a high bet to make me play my best. I don't shoot at white flags for cheap but I've always played better for more money. That's a fault of mine, but one that I'm happy to have as opposed to the opposite fault.

My theory is this: If you played 1000 games with an opponent who is your equal in every way, you will win 500 games and lose 500 games. In those 1000 games you will get, ON AVERAGE PER GAME, so many of each type of the four shots that I mentioned . If you have an offensive shot but pass on it for any reason, that's one less offensive shot, on average, that you will have for that game.

If you shoot at your hole when the correct shot is to play defense, that is one less defensive shot that you will have for that game.

The same is true for the other two types of shots. And you may think that you can pass up a shot, of any type, and make up for it later, but in the long run, you cannot do that. That's why you have an average of each type of shot.

Think of it like this: If you pass up one offensive shot per game that you probably should shoot given your talent level, that is 1000 less shots at your pocket for the session. And if your opponent is shooting at the ones he should, that's a 2000 shot swing for the session.

Thinking like this helps force you to shoot the correct shot for the situation that you are in. At least it helps me. But I'm kind of goofy anyway.

Bottom line is this, decide which type of shot you are faced with and then shoot it. It's tough being honest with yourself. It's tough ducking when you want to fire at your hole. And it's tough to fire at your hole when you want to duck. We've all been there. And every now and then you might get away with it. But ON AVERAGE, you will not.

So ends the lesson on my whacky theories. Unless I remember something else and do a little editing.

Here's my favorite response in this thread:

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Cowboy Dennis, you are absolutely correct with every post you've ever made on this site. ITs great to play without control. Especially when you are being staked by people with a lot of money. YOU HAVE TO LEAR THE CORRECT SHOT. ANd every shot you shoot has to be the correct shot. And Cowboy Dennis knows the right shot every time. And the reason you do that is becuse if you shoot the correct shot. It will force your opponent to make a mistake. This is not a crap game or a LUCK GAME. ITS real easy. If you play the whole game mistake free you will win. Mitakes make you lose. AND again. Shooting 7 to 5 shots and your opponent is shooting 4 to 5 shots you cannot win, unless you are getting 10-1 on the money, 50% of the time, and that only happens one time out of three. So dot look for gimmicks and angles.Except for 3 hit and the pick. BUt look to learn to shoot the correct shots, like Cowboy Dennis. And keep inproving on shooting beter and better shots. Anyone cand shoot up in the air with no control. SJD has done that for years. And doing that is missleading. And does not work. You have to no what you are doing. You have to no when to shoot and when not to shoot. Only Cowboy Dennis truly understands this. Read his posts again and again. And always play the percentages. THat also dictates what we should shoot. If you dont shoot the wright shot you cannot win, even against a player from Chicago. Experamenting in a game does not work. My advice is learn to play correctly from Cowboy Dennis and all of his expert opinions and experience, or hang it up.

Cowboy Dennis said:
Excellent post Artie.

Here's the link to the original thread:
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2670

Dennis