questions for Grady

titanic jerry

Verified Member
Hi Grady,

Just read all the stuff about Cochrans and it was like living it all over again.

Couple of questions. Do you remember two guys, one named Doc and the other Joe Smiley? They used to play Gin Rummy with One eyed Hank.

Who was the guy that played back handed so good ?

Was the Chinaman that worked behind the counter named Jimmy?

Do you recall that Sleepy Bob would sit in that chair propped up against a square wooden column with his eyes closed and when you walked by he would call you by name because he had everyones footsteps memorized?

Hey thanks for all the great stories and if there is ever a Cochran's re-union i will be there.

Titanic Jerry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
titanic jerry said:
Do you recall that Sleepy Bob would sit in that chair propped up against a square wooden column with his eyes closed and when you walked by he would call you by name because he had everyones footsteps memorized?
Great story. It's too bad that --what with carpeting and everyone wearing gym shoes today-- one never hears footsteps anymore. I guess leather soled shoes have gone the way of the horse & buggy...:mad: I miss the sound of train and bus stations, and department stores at Christmas-- all that clatter of footsteps.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
titanic jerry said:
Hi Grady,

Just read all the stuff about Cochrans and it was like living it all over again.

Couple of questions. Do you remember two guys, one named Doc and the other Joe Smiley? They used to play Gin Rummy with One eyed Hank.

Who was the guy that played back handed so good ?

Was the Chinaman that worked behind the counter named Jimmy?

Hey thanks for all the great stories and if there is ever a Cochran's re-union i will be there.

Titanic Jerry

Jerry, a lot of those guys were in Los Angeles at Hollywood Billiards when they were not up at Cochrans. Sleepy Bob was one of them and I got a little of my poolroom education from him when I was still in High Shool in the 50's and would make the trip down to Hollywood & Western and Hollywood Billiards. He would give me weight playing snooker and I would go in with him playing one pocket with guys like Jack Perkins. He would dump me of course, but the show was worth the money and all part of the education of a wannabee pool hustler.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
your questions

your questions

Of course I knew Doc and Smiley. Jimmy behind the counter was a great houseman. Sleepy Bob was interesting, too.
I don't know what backhanded playing is: so I can't answer that .