Off Topic regarding nine ball

thepavlos

Verified Member
From
BOSTON, MA
Hello
Because I know that some of you guys actually participated in the Johnston City Tournaments, what were the rules for Nine ball, I know it was loser breaks .... what else?
Thank you
Paul

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hello
Because I know that some of you guys actually participated in the Johnston City Tournaments, what were the rules for Nine ball, I know it was loser breaks .... what else?
Thank you
Paul

They changed the rules slightly every year. Started out, one foul cue ball in hand. If you scratched on the break you had the cue ball behind the line. All balls were spotted up that were made illegally. 3 Scratches in a row, you lost.

Beard

They didnt play loser breaks every year either.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
They changed the rules slightly every year. Started out, one foul cue ball in hand. If you scratched on the break you had the cue ball behind the line. All balls were spotted up that were made illegally. 3 Scratches in a row, you lost.

Beard

They didnt play loser breaks every year either.
Freddy is right that they tweaked the rules. It is a little known fact that it was George Jansco that originated the cue ball in hand anywhere on the table rule after a scratch or foul -- put in place in 1967 -- not Texas Express 25 years later. He apparently did it to make the game more exciting and fast moving for the TV audience. Prior to that it had been the usual push-out rule.

I am not sure about what years they had the "loser breaks" rule, but I remember seeing that in one of their announcement letters. They definitely tried various innovations -- including one year where they went with tighter pockets (I believe only one year because there were not as many exciting high runs, lol).

bstroud

Verified Member
Can't we ever go back to push out or at least to the Philippines way of playing?

No pool on TV anyway.

What's the rush.

Who's was the best push out player?

I played Richie Ambrose and many others.

Toby Sweet gets my nomination.

I think he played the cleanest 9 ball of any player I ever played.

I never won a push out. Finally I just pushed out for end rail banks.
Made every one at Park Row in NYC and he quit.

Bill S.