Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Verified Member

Default Ghost vs. John 47 wwyd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
whoah partner!

Post #17! It seems like a no brainer shot to me, like i said I would play to the rail first so i am not scratching and if I miss I'm still the fave if he get 2 balls.

Also notice I mentioned my other choice which is what ended up being the better shot.

Oh sorry Chris. You posted (my shot) so much later than I did that I missed it. 😂😂. Itís still the better shot btw lol.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Verified Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YPrxcxwgnjJ23DgD8 click on videos to get sound!
This is the shot Ghost did with a reply shot. An excellent in game shot by Ghost, in which he left the right handed opponent using the bridge or playing a left handed shot. I make the return positioning look easy. *But for a one time shot in a game, it really is hard controlling positioning coming off a ball in a pocket.* Most likely the opponent gets 1 ball out of this, the 10 ball.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuDcR3TJkakCvskc8
This is the kick shot. This is the shot Jerry likes, and as you can see it is not quite the sell out, because the cb has to clear that cross side 'scratch'. A tough bank and if not made then oops there goes the game! Of course if the bank is made then you are on the 12 bank.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KpaM2eczKL2s1rJN9
This is Dr. Bill's suggested shot. This shot ties up the balls so they are not so readily bankable, although depending how the balls end up there maybe a double out of the corner bank. Before the 5 being placed there the 12 does double bank out of that corner to the opponent's hole. It leaves the cb out of the bridge zone, but muddles up the 5 & 12, which is the goal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnFwJ19uc7TZ15PQ8
This is my suggested shot if you are going to move the 5. But of course this is not a one off game come up with shot, I learned this by taking this to the table.

The other shot which I did not video is cb coming off the 5 and pocketing the 10. The 5 ends up running into the balls down table.

This shows some of the hotly debated shot selections. For those that can take these wwyds to the table it really helps. Thanks Ghost, it turned out to be not so obviously simple wwyd after all.

Note: I have to really emphasize this: One of the hardest position shots is dealing with a ball in a corner. When I quit pool the first thing I notice was that I lost the ability to play position off of a ball that was in a corner. Therefore leaving a shot on the 10 is actually in this instance a very good ploy. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 10-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Verified Member

Good vids, Whitey. Nice of you to take the time to demonstrate some of the choices.

~Doc
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YPrxcxwgnjJ23DgD8 click on videos to get sound!
This is the shot Ghost did with a reply shot. An excellent in game shot by Ghost, in which he left the right handed opponent using the bridge or playing a left handed shot. I make the return positioning look easy. *But for a one time shot in a game, it really is hard controlling positioning coming off a ball in a pocket.* Most likely the opponent gets 1 ball out of this, the 10 ball.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuDcR3TJkakCvskc8
This is the kick shot. This is the shot Jerry likes, and as you can see it is not quite the sell out, because the cb has to clear that cross side 'scratch'. A tough bank and if not made then oops there goes the game! Of course if the bank is made then you are on the 12 bank.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KpaM2eczKL2s1rJN9
This is Dr. Bill's suggested shot. This shot ties up the balls so they are not so readily bankable, although depending how the balls end up there maybe a double out of the corner bank. Before the 5 being placed there the 12 does double bank out of that corner to the opponent's hole. It leaves the cb out of the bridge zone, but muddles up the 5 & 12, which is the goal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnFwJ19uc7TZ15PQ8
This is my suggested shot if you are going to move the 5. But of course this is not a one off game come up with shot, I learned this by taking this to the table.

The other shot which I did not video is cb coming off the 5 and pocketing the 10. The 5 ends up running into the balls down table.

This shows some of the hotly debated shot selections. For those that can take these wwyds to the table it really helps. Thanks Ghost, it turned out to be not so obviously simple wwyd after all.

Note: I have to really emphasize this: One of the hardest position shots is dealing with a ball in a corner. When I quit pool the first thing I notice was that I lost the ability to play position off of a ball that was in a corner. Therefore leaving a shot on the 10 is actually in this instance a very good ploy. Whitey
No Whitey, From the position you left the 8,12,5, and cue ball, the shot I suggested would NOT be to play the 10, but instead, pocket the 8 and drift the cue ball behind the 12 and 5. The 8 spots and my opponent is now in a major trap. This is exactly why I did not like sending the five towards the other two balls.

By leaving the 5 ball short of the 8 he will not be in a position to hook me. Therefore he will be forced to pocket the 10 and attempt to score position on the 5 ball cross corner bank. By leaving the cue ball where he must use the bridge in shooting the 10 he will be hard pressed to obtain decent shape on that bank.

No need to take any risk of kicking at the 10 and missing and no need of trying to draw off the five to pocket the 10 either.
I rest my case!
Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Wirth; 10-14-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
No Whitey, From the position you left the 8,12,5, and cue ball, the shot I suggested would NOT be to play the 10, but instead, pocket the 8 and drift the cue ball behind the 12 and 5. The 8 spots and my opponent is now in a major trap. This is exactly why I did not like sending the five towards the other two balls.

By leaving the 5 ball short of the 8 he will not be in a position to hook me. Therefore he will be forced to pocket the 10 and attempt to score position on the 5 ball cross corner bank. By leaving the cue ball where he must use the bridge in shooting the 10 he will be hard pressed to obtain decent shape on that bank.

No need to take any risk of kicking at the 10 and missing and no need of trying to draw off the five to pocket the 10 either.
I rest my case!
Tom

Also left the four railer.. Sometimes it's hard to come up with the perfect solution. Who else wants to try? This thread is just getting going good...

Old 10-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Verified Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hyy3RUaJF1caCA6FA Click on video to get sound.

I felt like I should correct my previous video to represent what Tom wanted to portray. Obviously I stroked it just a little hard, but it is tricky to get the cb just hooked on the 12 so the spotted 8 ball can not be seen, but not to leave a shot on the 12 for Ghost. So it has to be stroked just right, but that is OP.

This wwyd reminds me of chess puzzles from the LA Times that I would work. One puzzle like only had 3 or 4 pieces left on the board and they were well scattered, and it was check mate in 2 moves. It drove me nuts, never did get the right answer. Wish I could remember how it was set up. Whitey
Old 10-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hyy3RUaJF1caCA6FA Click on video to get sound.

I felt like I should correct my previous video to represent what Tom wanted to portray. Obviously I stroked it just a little hard, but it is tricky to get the cb just hooked on the 12 so the spotted 8 ball can not be seen, but not to leave a shot on the 12 for Ghost. So it has to be stroked just right, but that is OP.

Come on Whitey, there is nothing tricky about it. Just lag the ball in and you're there. As far as your having stroked the ball "a little hard" Isn't that where Doc. Bill suggested playing the five ball? Well, you got it there and look at the result. I think it is safe to assume any decent player can pocket the 8 and hook the cue ball on the 12 and 5. But what if it laid a bit differently. There would be other ways to hook the cue ball behind those three balls and protect the 10. Even taking a foul could
work out nicely.

This wwyd reminds me of chess puzzles from the LA Times that I would work. One puzzle like only had 3 or 4 pieces left on the board and they were well scattered, and it was check mate in 2 moves. It drove me nuts, never did get the right answer. Wish I could remember how it was set up. Whitey
Like in a game of chess, learning to anticipate and avoid the potential traps our opponents might put us in is a key element to playing solid one pocket. This was one fine example.
Ghost, just my own observation and preference. I like these straight forward wwyd threads better than those which require an understanding of the finer nuances of the situations.

As you are keenly aware, this situation which at first appeared quite simple still generated a number of interesting responses and debate.
I for one would like to see more of the same.
And of course, I appreciate your efforts as much as the rest of the crew. If I didn't, I wouldn't have provided my input. So, thank you.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Wirth; 10-15-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Like in a game of chess, learning to anticipate and avoid the potential traps our opponents might put us in is a key element to playing solid one pocket. This was one fine example.
Ghost, just my own observation and preference. I like these straight forward wwyd threads better than those which require an understanding of the finer nuances of the situations.

As you are keenly aware, this situation which at first appeared quite simple still generated a number of interesting responses and debate.
I for one would like to see more of the same.
And of course, I appreciate your efforts as much as the rest of the crew. If I didn't, I wouldn't have provided my input. So, thank you.

Tom
I agree. There still were a number of options but they are clear not muddled by if the ball clears
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Verified Member

I came late to this WWYD, and I agree it's very thought provoking. The 5 will definitely needs to be taken out of play, but I'd like to do it in a manner that would also eliminate his advantage. He's earned the 10, so let's give it to him while moving the 5 to our side of the table.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Verified Member

Thread 37....similar to your shot, but I'm trying to scratch the cue ball behind the 10. I'll have Allot more cue ball speed if I do hit the 10, and I know I can hang up (thin) the 5 ball, Every time.
no link....